The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Gorgeous!!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2012

2. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

We are not worthy.

3. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

They do have some pretty interesting dial combo's for the White Gold version, but overall I've been pretty happy with my SS version.

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

it always has piqued my interest how popular, ans thus, hard to come by, the SS version is. some of the strap and dial combos for the WG version are truly magnificent. but there is some hold that the SS version has over people. i wonder if its just the opportunity to have the daytona at a fraction of the price. the 12k market is much larger than the 40k market. or maybe there is something else.

5. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

6. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

For the price of a WG Daytona, there are a whole lot of watches I find infinitely more interesting. The current steel Daytona is one of my favourites, and I got one while the hype was still strong. I find the white dial somewhat boring at times, though. The Zenith white dial was nicer, with the black outlined subdials instead of the current silver ones.

So I found a sympathetic AD who ordered the fabulous "racing dial" for the WG model, and installed it in my SS Daytona. Best of both worlds :satisfied:

(Sorry, not US based, and I am not able to procure a similiar dial or contact with my AD. For obvious reasons.)

[​IMG]

7. Singular

Singular Senior member

More plexi Rolex lovin'...

[​IMG]

8. in stitches

you kopped???

excellent modification. and yes, for 40k, i think there are many models id go with, before a WG daytona.

:slayer:

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

uote:
    Yes its interesting that gold is currently more valuable than platinum. But it would never influence me to buy WG over platinum. Gold prices are at a record, but they could drop back down to normal levels again. At one point in the late 70s early 80s gold was about $800 per oz. Then it fell and for nearly 2 decades it was in the high 300 to low 400 range.
    Love the DR Sea-Dweller! Great watch!
    For years the Daytona was the most complicated watch one could buy from Rolex. Also, for the first roughly 25 years Daytonas were made (early 60s to late 80s) they were only available in either all steel or all gold (and the price difference was significant). When I bought my 1st steel Daytona it was $4,350 while an all gold one was around $18,000. So needless to say there were far more people that could afford all steel vs. all gold. Also it was a very undervalued watch for $4,350 (BP, Breguet, and AP RO chronos of the time cost 2-3x as much as the Daytona. So there were lots of speculators flipping them the same day for a profit. Year ago there were far fewer dial choices than there are today. Now at $12K there is no room for speculators, so the flipping isn't prevalent but its still the least expensive new Daytona you can buy. In addition, for people like me, there is not enough difference in look or enjoyment between the SS and the WG and with an MSRP of $40k there are lots of watches that might be a better over all choice.
    A true classic. Enjoy it.

10. in stitches

dino, we are on the same page. :)

11. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Back in the day (60's,70's and early 80's) Daytona's weren't that popular. However something changed. Rolex made fewer of them, the SS Daytona became harder to get, Jewelers could only get a few every year, they grew in popularity, and soon there were waiting lists. Thus those who bought more at their Jeweler were those who went to the top of the list. Like already said you could pay MSRP and walk out of the store and resell it for a very handsome profit if that was your wish.

However with the combination of the economic downturn,the cost being quite a bit higher, it appears as the boom years maybe over. However jewlers can still only get so many SS Daytona's every year and there are still some areas were it is pretty difficult to get a SS Daytona. However to this day I have yet to see a brand new SS Daytona being displayed in a Jewelers display case. They are usually kept in the back in the safe. The same cannot be said for the Gold or SS Daytona's. The Gold ones cost much more and are much easier to get because Rolex doesn't limit Jewlers ability to get these and not that many people can afford them. The TT which cost more than the SS aren't as popular and are pretty easy to get as well.

Patek also does the same thing with their 5711 Nautilus and Aquanaut. Patek does not over produce these watches and they are not as easy to get as a number of their other watches in the 20,000 to 100,000 price range. You would actually would find it much easier to buy one of their 85,000 watches. For them it makes a lot of sense. By doing so they don't cheapen the brand buy making it so easy to get a Patek (cost wise) and they keep some of their less expensive watches special.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

12. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Duplicate post.

13. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

I don't know about the US, haven't been there in a couple of years. But here in northern Europe I often see SS Daytonas in the windows nowadays.

14. in stitches

imo, the limited offer on the SS daytonas, is a brilliant ove by rolex, and i dont see them changing. :)

15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Beautiful, I prefer the size and second hand one the original though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.