The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

In the 1960s', 70's and up through the mid 80's most dealers couldn't give away Daytonas. In 1984 it also seemed the Sub and GMT were the top of the line SS watches as they had MSRPs of around $1,350 and a Daytona was only $1,100. Daytonas were often sold at very large discounts. The original Daytonas were manual wind and the steel models were not certified chronometers. Those were 2 issues that back in the day hurt its sales as most people thought of Rolex as being synonomous with automatic movements and some people thought a certified chronometer means more than it does today. Many people say the Italian collectors were the first to start to become interested in manual wind Daytonas. Some people have said it was the result of people seeing Paul Newman wearing a manual wind Daytona, in a film. Not sure how true that is as I've never seen footage of him wearing one in a film, although there are several pix of Mr. Newman wearing different Daytonas over the years in his personal life and as a race car driver. In any event, I think the second generation Daytona, which had an automatic movement truly changed the Daytona market and it quickly became one of the most sought after watches. Rolex also increased its price beyond that of Subs and GMTs. When I first became interested in the early 90s they had a list price of around $3,850 (Subs and GMTs were around $2,850). Supply seemed very limited as they were only getting a limited number of movements from Zenith, and they seemed to prefer to put them in the newly released two tone models, or the all gold models since the profit margin was much higher on those pieces. I believe the shortage of the then new automatic Daytona caused people to go back and buy manual wind models, which eventually surpassed the value of the automatic watches. The market on Daytonas definitely became softer with the economy colapsing around 2008 and prices of SS Daytonas hitting $9,500.

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

When I first started shopping for Daytonas, in the mid 90s they were really tough to get. Back then you would only see them in a dealer's window if the dealer was selling them at twice the MSRP or they were pre-owned. Some dealers had 2-5 year wait lists. Some wouldn't take your name unless you were one of their established "Good customers."

I once bought a new one from an AD's window, that was back in 1996. The dealer didn't have a wait list and only sold them on a first come first served basis. I called 1 day after it arrived at the shop. When I saw it, it was sitting in the store's window...it went home with me that day.

Most times in the US, even in this soft economy, if a dealer has one its usually sitting in a safe in the back.

3. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

All good info Dino, and I've seen most of this somewhere else as well.

Not to mention some of those same Daytona's they could never give away are now commanding some very high prices in the collectors market today.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Yes, and its the same with the vintage Explorer 2 and vintage Milgauss. Dealers couldn't give them away without huge discounts when they were new. Now they command prices far higher than their modern replacements.

5. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

What was once unpopular, is now rare and expensive.

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

one mans garbage.... :)

7. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

Cheers. It actually is the original size (38mm) - the close-up gives the illusion of it being bigger.

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Isn't Striking tenth 42mm

9. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

10. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I think as collectors saw values in the once unpopular manual wind Daytonas rise, they looked toward other less popular "professional models" of the same period as watches that could rise in value over time. Unpopularity, can lead to rarity. As a company sees units aren't selling, they reduce production and purchasers may have seen them as an unpopular items they got relatively cheaply that were not worth babying. So really good condition examples become few and far between. Back in the 1960s, 70's, and 80's people just wore watches (sometimes beating them up) and didn't see view them as commodities.

Modern watches, even limited editions will never truly be as rare or difficult to find in mint condition or better as vintage pieces, because now instead of wearing limited editions as many collectors buy pieces and put them in vaults waiting for values to increase.

11. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Hard to believe that any of todays models will ever be considered rare like those from years gone by.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how things go.

12. prayingrobot

prayingrobot Active Member

Many of us seek "grail" watches. I'm not sure they ever really scratch the itch, but maybe. I haven't bought a new watch in years, but I could cave if I saw a durable (dive) annual calendar watch. Ulysse Nardin used to make one. Any others come to mind?

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

14. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

looks redone, and shipping from uruguay. lots of fakes down there not worth the price of shipping. avoid.

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

my wallet thanks you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.