1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

You can put a Daytona on just about anything and it still doesn't look bad. It's a great strap but to me, it is too thick and rugged for a watch like the Daytona. Something a bit more streamlined and sleek might work better.

I think I should get that cordovan strap in black for my Sinn U1.

1 person likes this.
  2. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Two issues with that, unfortunately. One, the unpadded NOMOS straps might not be such a great match for the >14mm-thick U1. Two, they don't make them in 22 mm. Also, I'm not a fan of putting diver's watches on straps that are happier when they're dry, although cordovan is much better than leather in this department.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Sorry, really don't like it with the leather Nato.
    The tan ostrich is probably your best bet since its so neutral, although I think I like it more on the Reverso than I would on a Daytona. The darker strap with red stitching is interesting, but it probably wouldn't be my first choice for the Daytona (for me the red writing on the dial is enough). I'd probably look for a dark strap with white stitching.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

this. also, it claimed to be from 1918 and i did not see any mention of the watch being gold. i dont think they made watches like that in steel then, but i could be wrong.

also, the whole thing looked off, and if the price is too good to be true, it usually is.

+1.

:nodding: it can change the entire look of the piece.

agreed.

HEY! panny movements are quite nice!

5. johanm

johanm Senior member

He might be referring to the PAM 318 scandal, where Panerai promised the exclusive and limited edition "OP XXIX" movement for their Brooklyn Bridge model, but when some customers opened up the solid case back they found this:

[​IMG]

I.e., an unfinished stock Unitas movement.

6. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

People seem to be missing this. The watch being sold is [claimed to be] an IWC pocket watch, recased in a steel wristwatch case. The seller says it is recased and doesn't claim it is an IWC case, though he claims the dial is original. I have no idea whether it is real or not, but I suspect it is what it claims to be. The one thing that does give me pause is the location of the seconds subdial, relative to the ground. On most pocket watches, they are in a straight line. On wristwatches, they are at a 90 degree angle. A recased pocket watch should still have the crown and sub-dial on a straight line. But I don't know enough to conclude that is is a fake.

7. Moloch38

Moloch38 Senior member

Glad you guys brought up the discussion on ladies watches. I'm also looking at an anniversary watch for the wife. I've looked at some of the smaller Rolex and Cartier Ballon Blue, but I've been drawn to the Omega mother of pearl Deville. She has a very small wrist and will want something without diamonds for daily wear. I don't want to of quartz, but I have been liking some of the MoP options. any suggestions around the $5k range?

I know a very few handful of guys that wear B&R and Sinn watches down range and a Omega SMP and Rolex or two. I love that Sinn GMT. GMT is a huge function to have here that leaves me wearing my Suunto more often than not, but after multiple deployments my Marathon GSAR has been the best, especially with the tritium tubes. If it had a GMT hand it would be perfect (which is why I covet that Sinn!). They have always serviced my GSAR for free and replaced the bezel and crystal after it got jacked up during some high adventure last deployment, class act!
    If I could pick an all around watch I'd like the Omega SMP Apollo 15 40th Ann watch with the Red/White/Blue stripes on the outside of the dial. The SMP has always been a favorite and I'm a sucker for the patriotic color scheme.

8. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Yep, that was all I meant :).

You know I am a Panerai fan! I would love to pick up the 112, or potentially the Radiomir equivalent!

9. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I may be wrong. The cal. 58 in the ebay watch was a pocket watch movement that DID have the crown at 3:00:
    And here is what a cal. 57 movement looked like.
    [​IMG]
    Are you all still sure the ebay watch is a fake?
    [​IMG]

10. in stitches

OIC. id be PISSED.

i admit, i dod not even read the whole thing. :embar:

all solid points here. could very well be parts of a legit IWC. though in that case, i wouldnt want it anyways.

11. NDND2012

NDND2012 Active Member

The description states they have taken an "original" movement from an old pocket watch and put it in a "contemporary" case. There's maybe a few components that might have been from an IWC watch at some time and the rest has been fabricated by someone else and they've called it an IWC watch

12. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

They called it an IWC watch for search engine optimization on ebay. Thats what sellers on ebay do. I heard. once. on the internet. Once people actually read the description, its clear whats being sold.

13. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Agreed. That looks delicious.

14. in stitches

yes, people do that all the time. in fact, it just makes it more annoying for people searching for things to have to further filter their results and scroll through more irrelevant crap. i run into that with my ebay involvement for work all the time. its a pretty big PIA.

15. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Sure its for a search engine and yes the description says, movement from this, case from that, dial from whatever, etc. However, calling it an IWC wristwatch it creates the idea, probably among novices, that someone is buying an IWC watch.

IMHO its a "Franken-watch" piece of junk. I'm only interested in watches that are original and produced by real watch companies, but if someone wants to buy it I wish them luck.

16. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

It is pretty absurd. Worth reading the threak on it. It is... extensive.

17. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Meh, it pretty clearly states everything in the listing. It's a converted pocket watch; as to it's authenticity from what the listing claims to be original I can't speak to, but the listing makes it perfectly clear what it claims to be original and what it does not. Seems to me to be enough to make an informed decision.

1 person likes this.
  18. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I got this for my wife. It's a beautiful grey dial. No diamonds. Automatic. Much less than 5K with the right connections

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Agree with you Dino. I can't say the guy's a scammer, but it seems like he's betting someone will see "IWC" and pull the trigger. Again, his description has the information so can't really blame him if the buyer isn't careful.

But I agree, this watch is a franken-monster.. The Portofino/Portuguese styled dial with the Big Pilot crown? No thanks

20. in stitches

link?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.