The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sander

Sander Senior member

2. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

^Congrats Kaplan on a beautiful watch.
    Kaplan, great IWC [​IMG]
    congratulations on the mk xv, its beautiful. i passed on one of these a couple of years ago and have regretted it ever since
    great watch
    Great watch. You can wear it for everything.

Thanks, guys [​IMG]

3. Tuesday

Tuesday Active Member

So here's one of mine. It's a crappy picture, but the watch has been great. A Minerva Pythagore I. Manual wind, Cal. 48. I've had it for nearly 12 years now. It was my first non-junk watch. [​IMG]

4. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

So here's one of mine. It's a crappy picture, but the watch has been great. A Minerva Pythagore I. Manual wind, Cal. 48. I've had it for nearly 12 years now. It was my first non-junk watch.

[​IMG]

Nice dial.

5. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Kaplan, great IWC [​IMG]
    +1
    [​IMG]
    Lovely.
    Not a wristwatch, but a lovely 30s Art Deco travel clock by Jaeger LeCoultre. 8 days power reserve.

That is really nice.

6. Tuesday

Tuesday Active Member

Here's a Minerva Palladio S. It has a two time zones and a chronograph. The model was part of a rare group redialed at the factory shortly before they stopped production. It's one of three black-dialed Minervas in my modest little stable. Again, sorry for the picture quality. [​IMG]

7. yodawg

yodawg Senior member

what happened to minerva? do they still make watches? i used to think they were like zenith in that they were good value but haven't seen one in a long time.

8. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

^Congrats Kaplan on a beautiful watch.

Regards.

NICE AVATAR...

REGARDS

9. tacobender

tacobender Senior member

long story short type deal here: A friend of mine sold his rolex on ebay- and got scammed by a fake check, I feel terrible about it and as I have a few watches have decided to give him my old Gucci watch that I bought when i got my associates degree. The watch isn't worth as much to me as I have gone to by better watches with other degrees, I realize my 800 dollar gucci is not the same as his GMT2, but I am sure he is super appreciative. So, once I got on the I am going to be a nice guy kick, I got to thinking...

Here is where you come in. My dad wears a casio watch and I finally have some money to buy him a nice one. I bought him a nice hermes watch a few years ago on an ostrich band that he wont wear because its too dressy. Keep in mind if my dad finds out what I am planning to spend he absolutely will return this watch much like Jerry Sienfelds dad refused to keep the caddy that Jerry purchased for him....

I want a painless transaction. Do I go to Jared Jewelers and just pick up a Baume and Mercier Riveria, an Omega seamaster, Tag Monaco? He is a huge steve mcqueen fan and I think he may get a kick out of that. If I am going to an AD, what can i expect by way of discounts? 10-15-20-25 percent?

I think Cartier/Rolex would be too much for him, he wouldnt appreciate them, like them or the cost, and probably never wear it. I might get him a Citizen Eco drive on the basis of I think he might like telling people its powered by light, and he may actually wear it. Either way, what can I get him at a chain store hassle free, that would be nice, last him a long time, and be very wearable be it sporty or dressy.

10. gyalos

gyalos Senior member

nothing much here I guess, but still a beloved piece
    [​IMG]

11. entrero

entrero Senior member

I think Cartier/Rolex would be too much for him, he wouldnt appreciate them, like them or the cost, and probably never wear it. I might get him a Citizen Eco drive on the basis of I think he might like telling people its powered by light, and he may actually wear it. Either way, what can I get him at a chain store hassle free, that would be nice, last him a long time, and be very wearable be it sporty or dressy.

Get him a Grand Seiko, he'll wear without hesitation while you'll be satisfied you got your pa something decent. Like killing two stones with one bird.

12. Imperator

Imperator Senior member

[​IMG] /M
    model #?

13. Singular

Singular Senior member

model #?

/M

14. jfclarky

jfclarky Senior member

15. Tuesday

Tuesday Active Member

what happened to minerva? do they still make watches? i used to think they were like zenith in that they were good value but haven't seen one in a long time.

As far as I knew, they were bought out by some Italian investment group who then took the named and made a lot of stupid pronouncements about making the brand on par with VC, PP, and AP. They figured that they had several in-house movement designs and a stock of unused movements, so that made them a true manufacturer. They priced their re-cased movements attractively, but priced them beyond all reason.

This is just what I've heard from other Minerva nerds. I did see the concept pictures from the revamped line, but I've never seen one in the metal or even heard of a single person taking delivery.

As far as them being a deal, they were that. The Pythagore model was around US$1200 new in the mid to late 90s. At some point the company realized that they could get a lot more and bumped the price up to $3000, but people still snapped them up. Not high production pieces, but they definitely had a place in collectors hearts.

And now, here's my Dubey & Schaldenbrand Aerodyn Duo:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.