1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sander

Sander Distinguished Member

2. Kaplan

Kaplan Distinguished Member

^Congrats Kaplan on a beautiful watch.
    Kaplan, great IWC [​IMG]
    congratulations on the mk xv, its beautiful. i passed on one of these a couple of years ago and have regretted it ever since
    great watch
    Great watch. You can wear it for everything.

Thanks, guys [​IMG]

3. Tuesday

Tuesday Active Member

So here's one of mine. It's a crappy picture, but the watch has been great. A Minerva Pythagore I. Manual wind, Cal. 48. I've had it for nearly 12 years now. It was my first non-junk watch. [​IMG]

4. ManofKent

ManofKent Distinguished Member

So here's one of mine. It's a crappy picture, but the watch has been great. A Minerva Pythagore I. Manual wind, Cal. 48. I've had it for nearly 12 years now. It was my first non-junk watch.

[​IMG]

Nice dial.

5. ManofKent

ManofKent Distinguished Member

Kaplan, great IWC [​IMG]
    +1
    [​IMG]
    Lovely.
    Not a wristwatch, but a lovely 30s Art Deco travel clock by Jaeger LeCoultre. 8 days power reserve.

That is really nice.

6. Tuesday

Tuesday Active Member

Here's a Minerva Palladio S. It has a two time zones and a chronograph. The model was part of a rare group redialed at the factory shortly before they stopped production. It's one of three black-dialed Minervas in my modest little stable. Again, sorry for the picture quality. [​IMG]

7. yodawg

yodawg Senior Member

what happened to minerva? do they still make watches? i used to think they were like zenith in that they were good value but haven't seen one in a long time.

8. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Distinguished Member

^Congrats Kaplan on a beautiful watch.

Regards.

NICE AVATAR...

REGARDS

9. tacobender

tacobender Senior Member

long story short type deal here: A friend of mine sold his rolex on ebay- and got scammed by a fake check, I feel terrible about it and as I have a few watches have decided to give him my old Gucci watch that I bought when i got my associates degree. The watch isn't worth as much to me as I have gone to by better watches with other degrees, I realize my 800 dollar gucci is not the same as his GMT2, but I am sure he is super appreciative. So, once I got on the I am going to be a nice guy kick, I got to thinking...

Here is where you come in. My dad wears a casio watch and I finally have some money to buy him a nice one. I bought him a nice hermes watch a few years ago on an ostrich band that he wont wear because its too dressy. Keep in mind if my dad finds out what I am planning to spend he absolutely will return this watch much like Jerry Sienfelds dad refused to keep the caddy that Jerry purchased for him....

I want a painless transaction. Do I go to Jared Jewelers and just pick up a Baume and Mercier Riveria, an Omega seamaster, Tag Monaco? He is a huge steve mcqueen fan and I think he may get a kick out of that. If I am going to an AD, what can i expect by way of discounts? 10-15-20-25 percent?

I think Cartier/Rolex would be too much for him, he wouldnt appreciate them, like them or the cost, and probably never wear it. I might get him a Citizen Eco drive on the basis of I think he might like telling people its powered by light, and he may actually wear it. Either way, what can I get him at a chain store hassle free, that would be nice, last him a long time, and be very wearable be it sporty or dressy.

10. gyalos

gyalos Senior Member

nothing much here I guess, but still a beloved piece
    [​IMG]

11. entrero

entrero Distinguished Member

I think Cartier/Rolex would be too much for him, he wouldnt appreciate them, like them or the cost, and probably never wear it. I might get him a Citizen Eco drive on the basis of I think he might like telling people its powered by light, and he may actually wear it. Either way, what can I get him at a chain store hassle free, that would be nice, last him a long time, and be very wearable be it sporty or dressy.

Get him a Grand Seiko, he'll wear without hesitation while you'll be satisfied you got your pa something decent. Like killing two stones with one bird.

12. Imperator

Imperator Senior Member

[​IMG] /M
    model #?

13. Singular

Singular Senior Member

model #?

/M

14. jfclarky

jfclarky Senior Member

15. Tuesday

Tuesday Active Member

what happened to minerva? do they still make watches? i used to think they were like zenith in that they were good value but haven't seen one in a long time.

As far as I knew, they were bought out by some Italian investment group who then took the named and made a lot of stupid pronouncements about making the brand on par with VC, PP, and AP. They figured that they had several in-house movement designs and a stock of unused movements, so that made them a true manufacturer. They priced their re-cased movements attractively, but priced them beyond all reason.

This is just what I've heard from other Minerva nerds. I did see the concept pictures from the revamped line, but I've never seen one in the metal or even heard of a single person taking delivery.

As far as them being a deal, they were that. The Pythagore model was around US$1200 new in the mid to late 90s. At some point the company realized that they could get a lot more and bumped the price up to $3000, but people still snapped them up. Not high production pieces, but they definitely had a place in collectors hearts.

And now, here's my Dubey & Schaldenbrand Aerodyn Duo:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.