• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weekend reading. Impressive selection.

ffec61e7a5dd2c0f2dec36b9ca08dac4.jpg

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys I need some help.  I'm buying my first Rolex.  I already own many black dial dive watches.  But wanted some advice on Owning one Rolex that will be special.
I like the Submariner but seems like everyone at my work has one (black one), so wanted something different like SD4000 at least I will know its different, or even more unique the LV sub.  Do you guys think the LV sub will be ok to represent my only Rolex in my collection?  Maybe my only Rolex for a while.

This is an irrelevant consideration. Buy what you like, not what others do or do not have. Though if you are open to considering something slightly different, can I suggest a GMT?

Last edited:

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Overall a very nice watch, and I generally like non-round watches.  However, in person I just didn't love this one.  A friend's store was closing out their VC account, (a bigger store in the region was getting the sole contract for the brand), and he offered it to me at a very nice discount, but I just didn't love it in person as much as in the photos.  Actually for a Tonneau shape, I preferred the out of production CPCP Cartier Tortue XL Monopoussoir (single pusher chronograph), the Patek 5040, and VC's own 1912 with articulated lugs and exploding numerals.  This piece is a bit more angular and although I like the case, I prefer the larger more defined lugs of the past Malte collection, and this model wears a bit larger than I like on my wrist.  Wishing you luck with it.  Cheers! 

Thanks for your thoughts, as always. And of course I've figured my tastes in terms of size runs different to the rest of TWAT, so I like the size here. I tried on the tourby model a couple of weeks ago when I was in Hong Kong (they didn't have the small seconds in stock but they were kind enough to let me try on the tourbillon!) and it felt pretty right in terms of size.

I don't have watches in anything other than steel. Still very hesitant to make the jump to any precious metal, so we shall see.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The SD4000 seems to be the connoisseurs' choice.  But personally I love the plain ol' Sub.  Green is cool, but not as the only one - not for me anyway.  

Anyway, I don't own any of them.  Yet.

I thought the older SDs were the connoisseurs' choice and the SD4000 for those who want the latest and greatest.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The dial on the Sub LV is great. It was one of the contenders for my watch but I went a different direction. The SD4000 is good but then again you are just a little shy of a two-tone Sub. It really depends on what you want, not what other people have. Like someone else mentioned you could try to find an anniversary Sub with black dial/green bezel but it will most likely be used unless you can find someone who just bought it and kept it in a box.

Just go try them on in person and see which one you like the most. Everyone in TWAT seems to have a BLNR these days but it doesn't make me love mine any less. Plus I was first....

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even If I already have two Dive watches already?? I know 9 people that own the sub personally, I want something little bit different.
As others have said, buy what you like. Don't worry about others, most will see which ever version you get be it a SD or a Sub, and figure its a Sub. The black is a classic. If you want something different, and an LV fits the bill for you, then go for it. I like the dial on the current LV, but I don't like that bezel color. The sort of flat green for the bezel relative to the deep rich color of the dial is one reason, I've never been interested in the current LV. In the end if you want a Sub or SD then go for it. They are good, solid, rugged watches with a classic style that will get you through many years of wear and tear even as your only Rolex.

Thanks for your thoughts, as always. And of course I've figured my tastes in terms of size runs different to the rest of TWAT, so I like the size here. I tried on the tourby model a couple of weeks ago when I was in Hong Kong (they didn't have the small seconds in stock but they were kind enough to let me try on the tourbillon!) and it felt pretty right in terms of size.

I don't have watches in anything other than steel. Still very hesitant to make the jump to any precious metal, so we shall see.
If you have a large wrist and like how it feels go for it. I've just see a few people wearing it and it looks too big for them. Its not a Panerai or something of that nature so its fit IMHO is important.

If you only have all steel watches, its definitely nice to have something in a precious metal for some diversity. I generally wear steel watches most of the week and it always feels a bit special to put on something with some color. Its sort of like going from nice casual shoes to a fine pair of dress shoes. Sometimes the occasion really calls for something dressy in a precious metal. Good luck on your journey. Cheers!
I thought the older SDs were the connoisseurs' choice and the SD4000 for those who want the latest and greatest.
The older SDs were nice, but nothing truly more special than a similar vintage Submariner. My dad had one and sure it was a bit different from a Sub, but most people who were not "watch people" presume its a Sub anyway. Unless you are speaking of say a Double Red SD or maybe the model just after it, I'm not sure I'd say older SDs are any more a connoisseurs's watch than any vintage Submariner.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The dial on the Sub LV is great. It was one of the contenders for my watch but I went a different direction. The SD4000 is good but then again you are just a little shy of a two-tone Sub. It really depends on what you want, not what other people have. Like someone else mentioned you could try to find an anniversary Sub with black dial/green bezel but it will most likely be used unless you can find someone who just bought it and kept it in a box.

Just go try them on in person and see which one you like the most. Everyone in TWAT seems to have a BLNR these days but it doesn't make me love mine any less. Plus I was first....
Even so, other than my own, I've only ever seen one once before in person at a store where the person who ordered it could not be reached. I've yet to see one in person on another persons wrist.

PS...but yes, I'll still give you credit for being the first person here to show us just how handsome this watch is in a wrist shot !
cheers.gif

Last edited:

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As others have said, buy what you like.  Don't worry about others, most will see which ever version you get be it a SD or a Sub, and figure its a Sub.  The black is a classic.  If you want something different, and an LV fits the bill for you, then go for it.  I like the dial on the current LV, but I don't like that bezel color.  The sort of flat green for the bezel relative to the deep rich color of the dial is one reason, I've never been interested in the current LV.  In the end if you want a Sub or SD then go for it.  They are good, solid, rugged watches with a classic style that will get you through many years of wear and tear even as your only Rolex.  

If you have a large wrist and like how it feels go for it.  I've just see a few people wearing it and it looks too big for them.  Its not a Panerai or something of that nature so its fit IMHO is important.

My wrist is strictly average in size. I suspect it may look too large but I think I'm okay with that.

On a somewhat related note, has Rolex ever made a steel blue sub? The current iteration is white gold, and the other precious metal watch I've been looking at is a TT blue sub, not the latest one but the old 16613. I've never come across a steel blue one before though. I could probably google and find out but probably easier to just ask on here..

tigerpac

Reaction score
If you only have all steel watches, its definitely nice to have something in a precious metal for some diversity. I generally wear steel watches most of the week and it always feels a bit special to put on something with some color. Its sort of like going from nice casual shoes to a fine pair of dress shoes. Sometimes the occasion really calls for something dressy in a precious metal. Good luck on your journey. Cheers!

tigerpac

Reaction score
My wrist is strictly average in size. I suspect it may look too large but I think I'm okay with that.

On a somewhat related note, has Rolex ever made a steel blue sub? The current iteration is white gold, and the other precious metal watch I've been looking at is a TT blue sub, not the latest one but the old 16613. I've never come across a steel blue one before though. I could probably google and find out but probably easier to just ask on here..

I don't THINK they made a steel blue. But I'm far from a vintage Rolex expert.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
There has never been a steel blue sub.

CMT1

Reaction score

From what I have read over the years, it's a bit of a controversy between serious collectors. Some say a stainless steel blue dial/bezel Submariner was made in extremely limited quantities for the Japanese market in the 1980s, and some say the watch was a frankenRolex and was not a factory piece. If it did exist, this is the reference:

Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date, "Submariner" 660ft/200m, Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified, Ref.1680. Made for the Oriental market. Production of this reference started in 1976. Fine center-seconds, self-winding, water-resistant to 660ft/200m, stainless steel gentleman's wristwatch with date, blue bezel and blue dial, with a stainless steel "Flush-Fit" Oyster bracelet.

There are a few photos on the Internet of the supposed watch, but I have yet to see anyone acquire this unicorn. People have been clamoring for a stainless steel blue Submariner for a very long time and, were the piece real, I would think that some vintage collector would have trumpeted their discovery by now.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Overall a very nice watch, and I generally like non-round watches. However, in person I just didn't love this one. A friend's store was closing out their VC account, (a bigger store in the region was getting the sole contract for the brand), and he offered it to me at a very nice discount, but I just didn't love it in person as much as in the photos. Actually for a Tonneau shape, I preferred the out of production CPCP Cartier Tortue XL Monopoussoir (single pusher chronograph), the Patek 5040, and VC's own 1912 with articulated lugs and exploding numerals. This piece is a bit more angular and although I like the case, I prefer the larger more defined lugs of the past Malte collection, and this model wears a bit larger than I like on my wrist. Wishing you luck with it. Cheers!

How do you feel about the Royal Eagle chronos, Dino? I tried on a rose gold early-2000s model at WatchClub the other day and was surprised at how much it appealed, with the vaguely Franck Muller-ish numerals being the only real ding for me.

CMT1

Reaction score
We are binge watching Mad Men today and I couldn't resist:

I can't believe it took me this long to start it, but I'm hooked.

As always, I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members