• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE 2024 ALLEN EDMONDS (AE) APPRECIATION THREAD

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strand + amazing Japanese watch!!!

IMG_1697.jpeg
IMG_1699.jpeg
IMG_1698.jpeg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is the perfect old man pairing for these pants. View attachment 2192653
An odd thing happened yesterday on a Mexican forum where I was told to stay in Chicago and not come to Mexico. Last time I heard something like that was when I was a child. Back then it was go back to Mexico where you came from, ******!
My wife couldn’t be more proud of my assimilation into American culture. How times have changed!
As a New Yorker, if only you were from Boston, I’d hurl so many insults at you. But Chicago? Hell, I don’t even know where that is.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Size, and where did you list them (excuse my ignorance)?

They are 12eee and obtained at a trunk show around 2018-19. It was the first offering of bourbon shell.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's a PTB Friday.

IMG_0565.jpg

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once more unto the breach, dear Freeports. Getting in some final boot wears before they're packed up for summer.

IMG_7973.jpg

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes. I shed a tear as this is the first wear of my 1987 fuzzy McAllister shoes. I can kind of understand why the seller got rid of these. They are kind of bright and loud, and yellow-ish. They are also tricky to pair with socks. I feel I'm a bit of a joker today, but might as well be even louder if you're already loud, right?

unnamed (1).jpg

Also, can anyone tell how many times these look like they were worn? The upper looks like it has no creases, which is strange because the sole has some signs of use. I sent the seller a message, but they are one of those that do not respond.

Last edited:

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. I shed a tear as this is the first wear of my 1987 fuzzy McAllister shoes. I can kind of understand why the seller got rid of these. They are kind of bright and loud, and yellow-ish. They are also tricky to pair with socks. I feel I'm a bit of a joker today, but might as well be even louder if you're already loud, right?

View attachment 2193359

Also, can anyone tell how many times these look like they were worn? The upper looks like it has no creases, which is strange because the sole has some signs of use. I sent the seller a message, but they are one of those that do not respond.

Cool pair you got there.

As for the listing, you know if those were worn for any amount of time they'd have creasing. Maybe tried on or something but they really don't look used at all. If they were, maybe they walk like mdubs and his shell pairs hah. Worst case it has minimal wear.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 2193359

Those fuzzy McAllisters are extra-extremely awesome and not at all too loud, IMHO. I wish I had a pair like that.

As for the wear on the other pair, that’s looks to be 3-4 max. There’s some creasing, but sometimes creasing is subdued based on the bend of that specific piece of leather, or the profile of the wearers foot relative to last. I even have two pair of Polo’s that are identical models, nearly the same wear, made in the same week - one pair just naturally creased more than the other.

One note: Dainite soles are very different than leather. I personally don’t like them, as I find them hard and unforgiving, and they substantially change the break-in and overall feel. If you’re familiar with them and don’t mind them, then I’d say that looks like a nice pair.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those fuzzy McAllisters are extra-extremely awesome and not at all too loud, IMHO. I wish I had a pair like that.

As for the wear on the other pair, that’s looks to be 3-4 max. There’s some creasing, but sometimes creasing is subdued based on the bend of that specific piece of leather, or the profile of the wearers foot relative to last. I even have two pair of Polo’s that are identical models, nearly the same wear, made in the same week - one pair just naturally creased more than the other.

One note: Dainite soles are very different than leather. I personally don’t like them, as I find them hard and unforgiving, and they substantially change the break-in and overall feel. If you’re familiar with them and don’t mind them, then I’d say that looks like a nice pair.

It's funny you mention dainite. Back in 2016, I bought a pair of these Clark St shoes with the same red sole. It was really painful to walk in, to the point that I sold them. I thought it was the Dainite, but I later learned it was because of the insole. I tried another pair of these later on (didn't buy them) and they had a very soft feel, like I would want. The other issue with this cxl shoe for some was that heel slip would sometimes happen. It happened on my first pair (which made the sole feel even more painful) but it did not happen with the later pair I tried.

TLDR: try more than one pair.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny you mention dainite. Back in 2016, I bought a pair of these Clark St shoes with the same red sole. It was really painful to walk in, to the point that I sold them. I thought it was the Dainite, but I later learned it was because of the insole. I tried another pair of these later on (didn't buy them) and they had a very soft feel, like I would want. The other issue with this cxl shoe for some was that heel slip would sometimes happen. It happened on my first pair (which made the sole feel even more painful) but it did not happen with the later pair I tried.

TLDR: try more than one pair.
I find the actual material to be hard. In my experience, it doesn’t have the impact absorption or give of a leather sole. Don’t get me wrong, it’s certainly not “get rid of the pair” bad or anything, but I find nearly all my full-leather shoes (from vintage Florsheim, Hanover, AE - to modern AE’s) are all really comfortable. By full leather I mean that in the old Hanover sense: upper, linings, insole and sole (e.g. no Texon, no rubber, etc.).

I’ll keep my Dainite equipped shoes, but when they get resoled or recrafted, I’ll opt for something else.

All of this should be filed under IMHO, as I know there are people who like Dainite soles. I also have very strange feet.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sangregris