• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ouch, there's some outstanding advice from Dino right there :slayer:

Thanks Cleav. Cheers
1f603.png

DeSense

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wasn't he like 19 when he directed that though? And he came in at short notice, looking at Alien 4 its a masterpiece.

Then you look at prometheus......I think I prefer Alien 3 over that as well!

He was 29. We (wife and I) started with 1 and 2, she had never seen them in full, I said 'let's stop here and pretend the others didn't happen', she insisted to persevere and peruse in full. We took a break afterwards, so A4 maybe tonight. If I can't stop it. I hate that genetic monster alien, ugh.
I prefer Prometheus over both, although wished the human conception part had been omitted and there had been another way to explain the exploration trip. I guess humanoids had to somehow feature in the/a film, so a pure space jockey v aliens film was off the table.
wink.gif

That version isn't really a director's cut, though (Fincher wasn't involved in it and says he hasn't even seen it). Granted, it's an attempt to piece together the material they had on hand to make a version closer to Fincher's vision, compared to the theatrical release, where (the first time directing a feature film) Fincher wasn't really in charge.

When asked if he'd make a director's cut he allegedly said 'Sure, if I can go back and reshoot the whole thing' (or something to that effect).

You got that right. The studio (20th, infamous for it) took it away from him, after a test screening 'failed', IIRC, and he wasn't allowed to re-cut it himself. So the much shorter TC (-30 mins!) wasn't his and the later "DC" neither. Comparing both, the TC wins, IMO, as the "DC" drags worse than haemorrhoids on steroids.

Not sure what I did. Wishing you luck
wink.gif

Thanks! Please see post #34178. She ends with 520 and comes in black, thankfully. Sings to me the most and if this persists, I can probably not hold her off for much longer. This, and there is a good opportunity coming up soon. More later.

Dachshund

Reaction score

Yes, very serious issues with importing a Rolex to the US. A very well known British vintage Rolex seller has a disclaimer saying something to the effect of he won't sell to people in the US, unless they notify him they will make arrangements to pick it up personally, or have an agent personally pick it up and wear it into the US.

Not sure about any regulations concerning importing a Rolex to Canada. You'd need to look into that yourself. Just be sure there won't be importation problems with shipping one into Canada.

Jeepers. So let's say i'm at Heathrow, travelling to US on business. I buy myself a Rolex at the duty free. If I arrive in the US and they find the box in my hand luggage they take my watch from me? Not just a case of paying some duty; they actually take the watch??!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I like the new Steel Grey 116000 mimo posted, but find the case shape looks a bit bloated width-wise.

Maybe that's a reason I like it; for a modern watch, especially an all-rounder with sporty heritage, 36mm is a modest size, and as lovely as the Air King is, going a little smaller just doesn't quite fit what I'm looking for. The slightly more bulbous case on the modern version is brilliantly proportioned with the bracelet IMHO, and I think really hits a sweet spot between subtle and understated for work, but enough presence to wear with a polo shirt at the weekend. Anyway, each to his own.

Also.....LOL'd @ mimo. Watches sometimes inspire such strong sentiments, don't they?
nest.gif

So if you'll please allow me to comment further, and perhaps re-phrase...I agree that particular lovely Rolex model is a very tempered, judicious size.

I do very much like the *nearly all-brushed look.

The dial choice is quite agreeable, and dare I say .... versatile.

Movement-wise, it would undoubtedly be a reliable companion for a lifetime, and the bracelet also would get my personal approval vs. the jubilee option. (Horses for courses).

But I'm just so darned used to seeing single sticks at 3, 6, and 9 that it might take some getting used to.

How's that?

You're still a jerk, obviously! But seriously, I get you. When I saw it, I'd kind of forgotten that this new version has the double fat sticks, and they did stand out. But rather like the case, I think they add up to a fresher, more substantial look that I don't dislike. I think I'd like it just fine with the normal single sticks too though. More? I really don't know. I do know that the Arabic 3,6,9 on other versions and the Explorer takes it up one notch too far in busy/sporty for my personal preference. But these are very subjective things, and you could be right.

Personally I find the double sticks a bit heavy too - over-power the crown a little bit. See for instance this old-timer which I think is nicely in balance. Just my viewpoint. If you love it, get it.

The old-timer is flawless indeed. Is it my imagination or are even the single sticks heavier on the new one? Either way, I think they both have their merits - different personalities, if you will.

Very versatile.

And here's a really tough competitor: oyster bracelet, I like. Polished bezel, I like. Blue dial, I love and I rather wish the OP came with that option. And I don't hate the date either: despite my general objection to 3 o'clock dates on dressier watches, the sporty origins of the Oyster and the iconic "cyclops" make it better than most. What I dislike most about 3 o'clock dates, or any dates for that matter, is that they're often so apologetic: tiny, timid, unassuming excuses shoe-horned in to be unobtrusive, and all the more irritating for it. The Datejust date is a feature, and makes all the more sense for it. For all those reasons, if I were to have a DJ, I think it might be this one, as modeled by the fragrant and beautiful Mr Cleav.

Impossible decisions seem to be a feature of TWAT life. But I really do like that grey Oyster Perpetual. Hmm. Will review in a couple of months, if they don't fire me...

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a new love for a new Rolex. It is everything I hoped it would be. Seen in the flesh for the first time today. Not mine of course, just more tyre-kicking, this time in Dubai Duty Free. But I'm seriously going to be dreaming of driving this one away.

Seriously, at under $5k for a Rolex brand new from the AD or whatever, this is really something. The classic 36mm size doesn't look at all small because the proportions of the bracelet are so right. The all-brushed surfaces bar the polished bezel, are perfection. I like stick markers anyway, pilots and certain Germans excepted, and the double markers on this balancing the crown logo make it look kind of sporty and fresh without undermining the classic style, IMHO. And of course, no date...

I haven't seen the other "grape" dial colours, only this one - which is the one I thought I'd like, and I do. It's very much grey rather than silver, but catches the light and changes colour according to its surroundings, making it a lot more interesting to look at than the website pics would indicate. At the same time, being close in tone to the case and bracelet, it's subtle and understated. So previous joking aside, this is one hell of a "one watch".

The Sea Dweller might have been the star of TWAT among the new Rolexes, and the Golden Pimpepsi the most eye-catching too. But in reality, this is the one I've really been waiting to see: the humble, entry-level Oyster with a new dial. Literally the cheapest, simplest, smallest man-size Rolex. I really, really like it.

This is VERY nice. I'll have to see if I can check one out in person. My only concern is whether there is sufficient contrast between dial and hands for me to be able to easily read the time without the aid of glasses.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If speaking about Rolex, its a HUGE no no! You can buy a Rolex outside the US and wear it in, but you can't ship a Rolex into the US. There are incredibly strict customs regulations regarding importing Rolexes into the US. If you get caught, customs confiscates the watch and it's your loss!

https://law.resource.org/pub/us/case/reporter/F2/992/992.F2d.508.92-2266.html

"On March 15, 1983, Rolex Watch U.S.A. Inc., a New York corporation (Rolex USA), recorded its ownership of the "ROLEX" trademark with Customs. The recordation form stated that Rolex USA consented to importation of two articles "bearing the 'ROLEX' trademark" upon entering the United States if for personal use and not for sale, but that otherwise importation of these articles was forbidden unless consigned to or for the account of Rolex USA."

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The resolution for that SD4000 with a SubC bezel: Rolex admits their mistake and will take back the shipment of SD4000s and replace the bezel inserts.

emysu3u2.jpg

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Huh...I guess the robot got confused.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So now there is a super-rare SD with SubC bezel? Seems like it would be a hard sell in the future unless the serial numbers on the bad batch are known. Otherwise....FAKE!

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

So now there is a super-rare SD with SubC bezel?  Seems like it would be a hard sell in the future unless the serial numbers on the bad batch are known.  Otherwise....FAKE!

I wonder how many are out there? But you are right. With random serials, we will never know. Looks like people better send these things in or they are stuck with them forever.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I am thinking of a beater watch that I can bang around.
Anyone have any thoughts on the Sinn 556A shown below:
I am not really looking for a poor man's Explorer 1 or Tudor Ranger.
I guess I want something that is the right size (it is 38.5mm) for me that will take a beating and look classic for pretty much ever.
For the price (~$1K), it just seems unbeatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics