• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe that's a reason I like it; for a modern watch, especially an all-rounder with sporty heritage, 36mm is a modest size, and as lovely as the Air King is, going a little smaller just doesn't quite fit what I'm looking for.  The slightly more bulbous case on the modern version is brilliantly proportioned with the bracelet IMHO, and I think really hits a sweet spot between subtle and understated for work, but enough presence to wear with a polo shirt at the weekend.  Anyway, each to his own.

I don't know, mimo. Today's 34mm Air King, with its thicker case and lugs, looks almost identical in size to a 36mm Explorer. I don't think the 34/36mm difference isn't that great on the wrist anymore:

Last edited:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I used to own one of these, and I got tired of the dated look with the big numbers. Sinn does make a quality product, but they are getting expensive for what they are. I would go with the 556i in this range: This and the U1 are highly original designs that work. The rest, meh.
If you're going to buy a new Sinn, do it now because their prices go up on Sept 1.
I don't know, mimo. Today's 34mm Air King, with its thicker case and lugs, looks almost identical in size to a 36mm Explorer. I don't think the 34/36mm difference isn't that great on the wrist anymore:
It actually makes a difference, just tried on the blue OP and the blue AK and the OP is already too small for my liking and the AK looks even more puny.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jeepers. So let's say i'm at Heathrow, travelling to US on business. I buy myself a Rolex at the duty free. If I arrive in the US and they find the box in my hand luggage they take my watch from me? Not just a case of paying some duty; they actually take the watch??!

No, you may have missed my earlier post. You can personally import I think up to 2 Rolex watches if they are for your personal use. If you declare them, you pay whatever customs assesses the fee as. If you try to hide it in luggage to avoid customs duties or fees, most likely there will be additional fees and/or penalties.

You cannot ship it into the US. If you get caught shipping it via mail/FedEx/UPS/DHL, etc and they catch you, they confiscate the watch/watches.

I've seen instances where the "mistake" provenance has added value to an item.

Generally where mistakes add value its on dials. The mistake is not something as easy to repair/replace as a bezel. The example that comes to mind is the Explorer blackout dial (when no white ink was used in the 3,6,9 numerals). Or it was something when UV exposure changed the dial color such as on the cream dial Ex2 16550 or the 16520 Patrizzi dials, prior to the dials being revised so there was no color change.

I don't see putting Sub bezels on SDs as significant/value enhancing. Not to mention I'd never pay a premium. With random serials it's impossible to know if it was authentic since you won't know the range within which it could have happened, or if someone in Europe or Asia (its easier to get extra spare parts there than in the US) bought an extra Sub bezel & swapped it for the original in order to try to get a premium when selling it.

Dachshund

Reaction score
^^^ thanks - makes sense - would be totally unfair to confiscate one personal watch! D

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I used to own one of these, and I got tired of the dated look with the big numbers. Sinn does make a quality product, but they are getting expensive for what they are. I would go with the 556i in this range: This and the U1 are highly original designs that work. The rest, meh.
Large numbers look dated? Hell no. I think both are very nice and, as you said, highly original. But yes, I'd also take the 556i.
Borrowed from the Watchuseek forum. Pardon the Engrish...
Oh my. Have any of you seen the Hodinkee video on the NYC store opening? The head of Seiko also speaks interesting English. (Phew, that was hard to resist)

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It actually makes a difference, just tried on the blue OP and the blue AK and the OP is already too small for my liking and the AK looks even more puny.

I guess it depends on the wrist, because it makes zero difference on mine.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Speedy is too big for me. I want something in the 38mm size.
I would be ok with a new Explorer 1, but I want to keep the price down.
Speedy automatic? Only 38mm, and much cheaper.

Good call - there are various versions of DeVille, or the Aqua Terra in that size too. The Speedy auto in 38mm case is this, I believe:
(Ref. 324.30.38.40.06.001)

But to my modest tastes, a $3-4k + "beater" seems quite an investment, especially when we began the search at a standard Sinn i.e +/- $1000. So I have some other suggestions of that ilk:

Depending on how sporty you want it, I was quite impressed with Archimede's offerings. I'm told they're finished very well (they are owned by the German case maker, Ickler), and use solid ETA movements just like Sinn. But they're very reasonably priced. They do pilot watches of various guises in 36mm and 39mm sizes, in steel or also bronze if you want something individual:

I also really like their "Outdoor" sports watch: tough and waterproof but understated and again a sensible 39mm case. The simple one on a bracelet looks very versatile. And I love that it doesnt' look anything like a Rolex (well, except the bracelet, a bit):

Either of these models comes in at around $800. Seems like a lot of decent quality and functionality for the money, and individual without being too flashy.

Or, if you don't so much want a pilot or sports watch, how about two smaller offerings from Stowa? Again, solid ETA movements, modest case sizes (35-38mm), and well under a grand. Plus classic Bauhaus designs with genuine historical integrity. The Antea goes just north of four figures with a genuine croc strap (various choices) or mesh bracelet, or just under on leather with shipping:

This reproduction or a 1920s model, the "Partitio", is barely over $700, hand wind or auto, 37mm:

For what it's worth, I also like the Sinn 556 just fine. I believe Mr Belligero is also a fan, which scores points in my book.

But I'm just saying, for a daily wear watch at around $1k, there are some really elegant and interesting choices, especially if you add an extra strap or bracelet to change the feel now and then.

Last edited:

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
For Stowa, I would suggest their flieger. Simple, durable, has some history and cheap. I have a Stowa MO and have dropped it off of several counter tops and it's been fine.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Hmmm.... I do like the looks of that little hand-winder.

Is that a new offering from Stowa?

And what does "Partitio" mean, en englais?

EDIT: why even put that on the dial anyway...Stowa doesn't usually indicate model names IIRC.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I think the Partitio, logo and all, is a nod to the original, with the "partitioned" minute markers.

I would also take the Flieger or MO with delight, but at 40mm and 42mm respectively I think they are disqualified here - that's what led me to the Archimede, of which I've heard good reviews.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads