• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

marvin100

Reaction score
It was your emerekan friend DLJr who uses this term . I only copied it in reply. Maybe you talk to him too? I did not mean to offend, but thought this was considerd proper conversation term here as it was used by other member before me.

How do you normally refer to ***** then? What do you not like about Hublot? It is a brand with very high Prestige here in Moskva.

I was answering your question, but yeah, my answer is equal opportunity--anyone can read it. You'll also notice I explicitly said I'm not speaking for anyone else here. That means I'm not at all a spokesman for "proper conversation term."

As for Hublot, I just don't like any of the designs. Too flashy for me.

That said, I haven't been to Moscow since '89, and I imagine it bears little resemblance to the city I spent time in during the heyday of Perestroika!

Stillmaticbeat

Reaction score

About 13 years ago the soon to be Mrs. Dino gave me a black dial Rolex Explorer 2 as a wedding gift. She knew I loved watches and thought it would be nice for me to have something with a GMT function, as we were going to the South of France for our honeymoon. I have never let a watch go that long without service, but its a pretty rugged watch, it was still keeping great time, and I wanted to see how long it would go on keeping great time. It was still keeping great time this year, but I figured I'd treat it to an overhaul at Rolex NYC (although I requested that they not polish/refinish it). I dropped it off in April and it just arrived at my office today. It arrived with a 2 year warranty on the service, paperwork, a customer service evaluation form, and a polishing cloth. Always nice welcoming back and old friend. A quick photo of the Oysterquartz that I started off wearing this morning, next to the Explorer II that I'm now wearing this afternoon.
how much was that service?

marvin100

Reaction score
Sorry but I maybe misunderstood your comment then.

The Hublot is very recognized design that has Elite writtin all over it. That is why here high class in Moskva likes it a lot and gets a lot of oooh and aaah.

Compliments for the Russian term. You speak Russian? Very impressed. Luckily the Perestroika days are long gone and our stable government now provides for real democratic market economy where business florish and money can be made. Everything is different for good of everybody. You should come again and experience the new Moskva. Is there a discussion here discussion the majow cities like Moskva london and new york? I could add good reviews about Moskva and share some of the opposite sex equal rights pictures from the discotheques and clubs. As well as photos from Elite cars and Elite Shops.

Sadly I don't speak Russian, just a couple phrases. I'd love to visit today's Moscow, and will eventually. Glad to hear you speak so highly of opportunity in Moscow today.

Back to the Hublot--yeah, I can see what you're saying. The thing is, oohs and aahs are not among my criteria for watch kopping, though I don't have any big problem with other people selecting timepieces for those reasons.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm already married, so I don't need a watch to get me a woman, not that I would ever use such an item for such a purpose. Besides, my wife married me when I was poor (not that I'm much more than that now :happy: ), so I count myself very blessed indeed.

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today for office more serious subtile watch. No sportive like the weekend. Which do you gentlemen like the better?

I prefer the Hublot ... I like the most. I have this model of Rolex, but the other I find it really special. Compliments. Hublot has always fascinated me. I also saw one of their sports model made with Ferrari, and was very sporty. I liked it. Congratulations to both clocks.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
It was your emerekan friend DLJr who uses this term . I only copied it in reply. Maybe you talk to him too? I did not mean to offend, but thought this was considerd proper conversation term here as it was used by other member before me.

How do you normally refer to ***** then? What do you not like about Hublot? It is a brand with very high Prestige here in Moskva.

I don't speak for anyone else on here, but I prefer not to refer to real. live human beings as "ass." Oh, and I'm not an Hublot fan, either.

My use of ass was to refer to casual encounters with the gender of your choice. Neither male nor female was meant to be implied. My apologies for reducing people to objects for the purposes of making my point.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about watch maintenance, so this is a genuine question: can you really clean a watch with a steamer? Doesn't it get too hot? I mean metal expanding et cetera?
YMMV, but if you are going to use a steamer, I'd only use it on the bracelet links. I'd keep it away from the watch case. Other's may disagree but a watch maker once told me very quick extreme temperature changes can cause condensation to form inside the watch case. Also if done repeatedly over time it can cause gaskets to breakdown or compromise their integrity more quickly. So for just the bracelet, not a big deal, but I'd keep it away from the bezel and other parts near the actual watch case.

What do you not like about Hublot? It is a brand with very high Prestige here in Moskva.
Personally, I give credit to Hublot for being one of the first (if not the first) watch companies to use a rubber strap on watches back in the 80's. Then they almost disappeared and were forgotten for years. However, I find them to be kind of a "Copy cat" of the AP Royal Oak, and their Big Bangs merely another borrowed idea based on the AP Offshore RO. I find little original in their designs, other than using rubber straps. So for me they hold no appeal.

I suppose what may seem very prestigious in some countries in not as prestigious in others. I don't see them as prestigious, I see them as kind of a mid-level and at times overpriced watch (unless one buys at a big discount or pre-owned). They also don't seem to hold their value that well. A guy I know bought one of their Suzuka limited edition Big Bang watches and then when he wanted something else...it was fire sale time. He was astonished that he just kept having to slash the price drastically to try and get some interest. He only got a lot of low ball offers. I wouldn't encourage someone to buy or not buy a watch based solely on resale value, but its something I would consider regarding the brand, at least in the US.

In the end if you like and enjoy Hublots (hopefully for reasons beyond it enticing your local women), then that is what really matters.

Today for office more serious subtile watch. No sportive like the weekend. Which do you gentlemen like the better?

For reasons above, I prefer the Submariner.

how much was that service?
$600.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dino, speaking truth as always. I have always found Hublots to be derivative and over-priced. No appeal for me whatsoever - I wouldn't wear it even if given to me for free. But to each his own.

And definitely the Sub. No competition whatsoever.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hublot is one of the companies I'm referring to when I say that the industry is mostly bullshit.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dino, speaking truth as always. I have always found Hublots to be derivative and over-priced. No appeal for me whatsoever - I wouldn't wear it even if given to me for free. But to each his own.

And definitely the Sub. No competition whatsoever.
Thank you my friend. Spot on assessment.
fistbump.gif

suaviter

Reaction score
On a totally unrelated note, I'm headed to Montreal on Thursday for the Gran Prix. I've been work work many times but rarely for play ...

Any suggestions food/drink-wise or for the race if anyone's been before?

I know we have some well-traveled folks in this thread.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

A quick photo of the Oysterquartz that I started off wearing this morning, next to the Explorer II that I'm now wearing this afternoon.
Pair of aces you got there, Dino. Glad to see that Rolex took good care of you with the servicing.
Newcomer, you should totally hold out for this one. I think you're doomed to misery if you buy anything else next. The only exception you may be granted, is for a comparable extraordinary piece, such as a Nautilus, or something of that ilk.
Sorry, I have another watch on the way, so I'll get back with proper watch posts shortly shog[1].gif
Looking forward to seeing your new acquisition...
On a totally unrelated note, I'm headed to Montreal on Thursday for the Gran Prix. I've been work work many times but rarely for play ... Any suggestions food/drink-wise or for the race if anyone's been before? I know we have some well-traveled folks in this thread.
Been to Montreal once: crashed a rental car, never made it to my business meeting, had dinner at the airport and flew home. True story. Sorry, I know that's not helpful, but I'm sure you'll find plenty of fun there, and maybe someone other than Nico or Lewis at the front of the pack.

Last edited:

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

Off topic, because this poster of Eva Green was banned by the censors.

Keith, you're welcome.

azu4u9um.jpg

^^^^ Also, a belated thanks for this, frilly. A Dame To Kill For, indeed! What a nice robe she's almost wearing...^^^

Trying to keeping it watch-related, I've gone vintage today:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads