1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Love is the best excuse, mimo ;)

The fat lugs aren't even noticeable on the wrist. They just blend in with the watch as a whole. They fit, they work. I love the tapered bracelet as well and Glidelock is a work of art.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  2. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

What a strange thing!
    to be alive
    beneath cherry blossoms.

[​IMG]

Took my lunch outside today, with a good friend, amongst the neighbourhood students. Girls in summer dresses, blossoming trees. Enjoy your day :satisfied:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    9 people like this.
  3. mimo

mimo Senior member

4. no frills

no frills Senior member

Agree with all.

I mean, look. I'm on a business trip, in a suit and all. This on the wrist.

[​IMG]

But guess what I brought just because I know at some point in the day I will want to switch out:

[​IMG]

Just sayin.

5 people like this.
  5. no frills

no frills Senior member

Sometimes a robust figure is worthy of much desire. Just sayin. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. mimo

mimo Senior member

^^ You know what I'm going to say...thick at the other end, please :D

7. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

I think that depends on the person. On my wrist, it's the only thing I can notice. I've tried talking my way around them several times, but every time I'd look down they are the first thing staring back at me. I think it's just more different strokes for different folks than "they work". And it's funny, just the smallest change to the width of the lugs on the SD4000, and I don't notice them at all.

8. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

OMG an Upton sighting.

Been awhile.

2 people like this.
  9. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Who doesn't love Kate Upton? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

The Upton thing is sort of cyclical, but I like how we have a mascot.

Just back from lunch at Il San Pietro, which is a perfect restaurant in every way, but couldn't really take a snap of the ExII in situ.

11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I've been away from the forum for a few days but Congrats on your engagement. Wishing you many years of fun adventures together. Cheers![​IMG]

Are you sure you were at an AD? Maybe things are different at the Rolex ADs in your country, but I've never seen an estimate broken down that way. I'm not really that shocked at the price, but just I don't understand how one would know what to replace without opening a watch. Also, that the parts will be rusty...sorry I call BS on that, unless the crystal has been shattered a long time in which case even humid weather and quick temperature swings would be enough for moisture to form and possibly cause rust.

I just had a 13 year old Rolex Explorer get a full overhaul at Rolex's NYC service center and it was $600 (including any gaskets they replaced). No other parts as far as I know needed replacing. The sapphire synthetic crystal its been a few years but IIRC it runs something in the range of $90-150. So I don't think the numbers are off by much were you brought it, its just how they get there is strange. To me its like a math problem where the answer is correct, but the way the person gets there is wrong.

IMHO, always purchase the best and most complete watch you can afford. Don't buy one that is missing its bracelet. Wait, save, and buy a good one...there is no shortage.

I wasn't initially in love with the fatter lugs, but I am used to them and I don't think for example my BLNR would look right without them. Frill's knows someone that bought a modern Sub or some other model with fat lugs, and had them shave down and to me it looks weird. If a person can't live with them, then its not the right watch for them. I've lived with the traditional older tapered lugs, and the newer modern ones and I like each of them. For people that can't live with them...no worries...more Rolex watches for me [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  12. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

OK, this is a terrible shot, but you get the drift.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

Oh my. Go away for a week and miss so much.

Somewhat late to the party but congratulations @BostonHedonist! In addition to engagement / wedding present, there are also birthday, anniversary and Christmas presents...

Whatever happened to @Brax and his box tease???

This needs to be quoted for posterity:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  14. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Dachsy's living the dream :inlove:

15. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

Dude, I'm here with my in-laws so it's a case of cielo e inferno. I've just slipped out solo for an aperetivo and a read of the paper, so this is the cielo part.

16. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

PS I reckon @Brax just bought an empty box. Quit teasing us!!!

17. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

And I'm sitting at a desk avoiding more "TPS reports".

I think you're still winning.

18. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

Yep - right now i'll take the aperol spritz and the international ny times over the reports. Sadly that fate awaits me come Monday, back in the real world.

19. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Yea...we are way past suspense at this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.