• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DL, have to be honest, I don't love that VC with the white dial. The sportier anthracite on rubber version is a lot more attractive, I think.
Agreed — I like the darker dial on rubber as well. For me, the combination of the complications, date pusher, busy bracelet, textured white dial and polished logo bezel are a bit much. But I much prefer AP's cleaner Royal Oak version that shares the same JLC ébauche. Academe has a white-dialed version that looks fantastic, and the blue-dialed one is among the best-looking steel watches I've personally seen. Plus I'll personally take the Royal Oak bracelet over the Overseas bracelet any day. Maybe worth a try before deciding?
dontknow.gif

kimmo

Reaction score

My aunt is an Hermes SA and according to her they've established some in house manufacture for the movements after previously using ETA (same as LV). Of course she gets discounts (sometimes wicked! discounts) so it doesn't really count.

I'd agree completely… why would you buy one for the same price as those mentioned above?

On the other hand, I've understood that the LV217 chrono uses Zenith El Primero movement and the price points are somewhere between 5-10 k€ which is only slightly above Zenith. I'd view those as a refreshing alternative, although LV wrist shots at TWAT would probably label you as... well, a twat.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

Great Reverso. DL, have to be honest, I don't love that VC with the white dial. The sportier anthracite on rubber version is a lot more attractive, I think.
Agreed — I like the darker dial on rubber as well. For me, the combination of the complications, date pusher, busy bracelet, textured white dial and polished logo bezel are a bit much. But I much prefer AP's cleaner Royal Oak version that shares the same JLC ébauche. Academe has a white-dialed version that looks fantastic, and the blue-dialed one is among the best-looking steel watches I've personally seen. Plus I'll personally take the Royal Oak bracelet over the Overseas bracelet any day. Maybe worth a try before deciding?
dontknow.gif
To be honest I don't much care for either the RO or the VC's dual time when compared to the JLC. I prefer the VC"s to the RO, and I prefer the textured to the anthracite. But regardless, I'm really looking at the Overseas 2. The JLC Master Geo is on the list as well for a dual time. as I prefer it to the RO and Overseas versions. And while most here would take the RO bracelet everyday, I would never take it as it doesn't have the heft I'm looking for from the watch. I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I'm okay with that.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed — I like the darker dial on rubber as well. For me, the combination of the complications, date pusher, busy bracelet, textured white dial and polished logo bezel are a bit much.

But I much prefer AP's cleaner Royal Oak version that shares the same JLC ébauche. Academe has a white-dialed version that looks fantastic, and the blue-dialed one is among the best-looking steel watches I've personally seen. Plus I'll personally take the Royal Oak bracelet over the Overseas bracelet any day.
I agree I like the darker dial its more and it tones things down a bit. Although, I'm generally not a fan of rubber straps, on this watch I think its an improvement over the bracelet. The bracelet functionally is better than the bracelets on the original Overseas models (which had links that used to lock up and get jammed), but while I'm a big VC fan, I find the current bracelet far too blingy and too much brand advertising.

I also like AP's version more in terms of design. However, I still think JLC's original Geographique is the easiest dual time to use in terms of function and readout. In the end, dual times tend to be lovem or hatem designs, depending on how one feels about the asymmetric dial layout. I like them, but some of my other watch friends say they would rather just go with some form of GMT watch.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i like the anthracite dial better as well, but i do not love a rubber strap there. for me, past a certain price point i feel its gotta be croc/gator or gold/plat/steel. i just dont love a rubber strap on a 5 figure watch. call me a whore.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Just to be completely clear, I'm really looking at the Overseas 2 Automatic. The boutique only had the Dual Time and Chrono's in, so I tried on the dual time. If this was just a fun discussion for the sake of discussion and not advice, then carry on, but I just wanted to clarify.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like the anthracite dial better as well, but i do not love a rubber strap there. for me, past a certain price point i feel its gotta be croc/gator or gold/plat/steel. i just dont love a rubber strap on a 5 figure watch. call me a whore.
I agree completely on almost all watches. However, for me the bracelet of the Overseas is just too much. I find it both gaudy and too much brand advertising. So for those reasons, if I were going to choose an Overseas it would be a model on a strap (which could be croc/gator or rubber). While a rubber strap is far from my first choice on any watch, on this one it would still make the watch suitable for wearing in a pool ...while croc/gator not so much.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh wow. That Overseas 47450 is amazing.
worship2.gif

I can now highly recommend Cheergiant. My 19/15 strap was delivered on Saturday and I am very impressed. It took about a week for George to make the strap, and then another 2 weeks for it to land in my mailbox.

The leather is a nice orange-reddish brown with variable color tone depending upon the light, and it's the kind of color that should darken with wear to a nice, rich hue. The padding is perfect, and the fit is also spot-on to my specs. I was afraid that, despite George discounting the "Fagliano look strap" from $180 to $130, I was throwing the money away on something that would be a worthless consolation prize compared to the real deal on 1931, but it's not the case at all - I really like this strap and couldn't be more thrilled with the purchase.

This one will see a lot of wear.

I hope everyone's Monday is proceeding sans drama.
smile.gif

A bit late to the game here, but congratulations on this one my man!!!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree completely on almost all watches.  However, for me the bracelet of the Overseas is just too much.  I find it both gaudy and too much brand advertising.  So for those reasons, if I were going to choose an Overseas it would be a model on a strap (which could be croc/gator or rubber).  While a rubber strap is far from my first choice on any watch, on this one it would still make the watch suitable for wearing in a pool ...while croc/gator not so much.  

i agree! i do not love the OS bracelet either. tbh, i dont like a lot of bracelets outside of rolex and the RO. in this case i guess the OS needs a strap, and if you must go swimming, leave it in your room or bring a different watch lol.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A bit late to the game here, but congratulations on this one my man!!!

+1! That is an incredibly nice looking strap.

It gives off a Casa Fagliano vibe, I am really digging it. A great way of dressing down the Reverso a little bit.

CMT1

Reaction score
Thanks again for the good press, guys! Newcomer, I originally contacted George at Cheergiant asking about a Fagliano-style strap and figured I'd give it a shot when he'd said that he had made a few. I am very happy with the outcome, the leather is nicely supple and it's already very comfortable after only one day's wear.

:D

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Should DLJr pull the trigger? On his wrist:
Unquestionably. But I'm sure you knew I'd say that!

Frills, as always, was a great host. He is also an enabler, and it wasn't even with watches. I think Corthays are in my future.

And I am completely smitten with that VC bracelet. Oh that bracelet.

I know! And the Corthays are exquisite, though I fear a bit narrow for me and I don't like to size up - it makes the toes look unattached after a while.

I've been dreaming of the Overseas for ages, and any empirical analysis aside, I somehow find it more lovable and friendly than the RO - at least in 41mm chrono form. I actually think the white dual time looks fabulous in your pic, as did the grey I tried in person. But I think a rubber strap is beneath a VC: this is a lounge sports watch. For ocean liners, yacht clubs and Formula 1 VIP areas. I like it just fine on that bracelet. "Oh, that bracelet!", indeed. Blue chrono for me.

I am very happy with the outcome

That could be the best Reverso dress-down in this thread. I love how it looks well-finished and hand-made at the same time. Like a great pair of shoes. Good job!

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I've been dreaming of the Overseas for ages, and any empirical analysis aside, I somehow find it more lovable and friendly than the RO - at least in 41mm chrono form. I actually think the white dual time looks fabulous in your pic, as did the grey I tried in person. But I think a rubber strap is beneath a VC: this is a lounge sports watch. For ocean liners, yacht clubs and Formula 1 VIP areas. I like it just fine on that bracelet. "Oh, that bracelet!", indeed. Blue chrono for me.

If I do decide on an Overseas, it will see less sport lounging action and more Frills Nautilus type action like swimming and hopping over walls for your children. I like the fit, finish, and feel of the bracelet on the Overseas and it feels like it can handle most situations I find myself in on any given week day or weekend. I also really did not find the bracelet to be blingy at all. The thing that struck me as slightly blingy was the bezel, but I enjoyed how it played off the brushed steel of the case. And for the "look at me, I'm wearing a Maltese cross on my wrist" factor, I get the principle and why it's an issue in this thread, but in my life the bracelet will draw far less attention than a crown on the dial would for me on a daily basis (which is the other watch I'm considering instead of an Overseas, the new SD).

The dual time is still being considered, but more as a this would check two boxes on my list. If they got rid of the text on the dial, I'd probably prefer the anthracite version, but I like the textured dial as it makes the Automatic/Antimagnetic a little less obvious. We'll see what happens, I'm still in the early stages of saving for my next purchase and the next generation of the Overseas may be out by the time I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads