• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

MG85

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been looking for an everyday watch over the last year or so. I am very rarely in formal settings, so have been looking at something casual and durable that could be slightly dressed up if need be. After a lot of research and advice from this thread (which I have now scanned through in it's entirety) I have narrowed it down to a SS Daytona or a Royal Oak Jumbo. I am leaning towards the Daytona as at about half the price of the RO Jumbo it is a bit easier to justify. Previously someone mentioned that each watch should cost no more then twice as much as the previous one, and although somewhat arbitrary it does make sense for me. Spending around $12k on a Daytona seems reasonable to me but spending $20k on the Jumbo seems like a stretch.

Unfortunately my AD does not have the Jumbo in stock so I have not been able to try it. I tried on the old 39mm RO a few months ago and loved the feel of it but found the 41mm 15400 was a bit to large on my wrist. Also I really like the history behind the Jumbo, and that it is a less common then the Daytona which I have seen tons of people wearing since I have started paying attention to what people have on their wrist.

Thanks to all the great contributors in this thread and hopefully I can get some additional advice before I finalize any purchase.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never mind, guys.

Wouldn't you know it, Bowie explained it all to me on the way home from work (listening to XM Radio), so it's all good:

Fair warning: short attention spanners, the lyrics don't kick in until about the 1:30 mark, and that guitar riff absolutely WILL get stuck in your head.
Never heard that Bowie song before, but now the guitar riff won't leave my brain...Thanks Keith...I think
wink.gif

Hi All,

I have been looking for an everyday watch over the last year or so. I am very rarely in formal settings, so have been looking at something casual and durable that could be slightly dressed up if need be. After a lot of research and advice from this thread (which I have now scanned through in it's entirety) I have narrowed it down to a SS Daytona or a Royal Oak Jumbo. I am leaning towards the Daytona as at about half the price of the RO Jumbo it is a bit easier to justify. Previously someone mentioned that each watch should cost no more then twice as much as the previous one, and although somewhat arbitrary it does make sense for me. Spending around $12k on a Daytona seems reasonable to me but spending $20k on the Jumbo seems like a stretch.

Unfortunately my AD does not have the Jumbo in stock so I have not been able to try it. I tried on the old 39mm RO a few months ago and loved the feel of it but found the 41mm 15400 was a bit to large on my wrist. Also I really like the history behind the Jumbo, and that it is a less common then the Daytona which I have seen tons of people wearing since I have started paying attention to what people have on their wrist.

Thanks to all the great contributors in this thread and hopefully I can get some additional advice before I finalize any purchase.
Both are great watches, just distinctly different, in terms of design, feel, purpose, and price. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

The current Daytona uses an inhouse Rolex cal 4130, with a 72 hr power reserve if you are not using the chronograph function. It has a 100m water resistance, a very rugged case and bracelet that can withstand whatever you can dish out, but no exhibition back through which to view the movement. Its far from a dress watch, its definitely a sports watch, but its one that you can get away with if you wanted to wear it with a suit. If you are a someone that is tough on a watch and this will be your do anything, go anywhere watch, then get the Daytona. The white dial is easier to read at a glance, but on the modern 116520 I prefer the black dial...I find it a bit more elegant and maybe a tad dressier...but that's just personal taste.

The AP RO Jumbo, is something that depending on the part of the world you are in AD's will rarely if ever have one available, and even their access to order one is a bit limited (unless its part of a bigger chain). From what I am hearing AP is preferring to keep this limited production (its not a limited edition) watch more readily available through their own boutiques. Because of its ultra thin movement, and its relatively thin case and bracelet, it wears very differently than the other 39mm time only watch the 15300, which has been discontinued. Its water resistant to 50m, it does not have a screw down crown, it has a date but no quick set (although you can advance it rapidly by advancing the time between 10pm and 2pm), and its certainly expensive for an all steel watch. That being said, its finish is exquisite, IMHO the only other steel watch I found to be as finely finished was Patek's Nautilus. Although, I preferred that the RO's bracelet which felt a bit more substantial on my wrist, but that's personal preference. I really like the Nautilus, but for me its a watch I'd choose if I could swing one in addition to a RO Jumbo, not instead of it. But again personal choice. The movement is still the thinnest automatic available today and its a work of art. Also its skeletonized rotor is something that allows one a relatively unimpeded view of its movement. I find the more I look at it the more I discover interesting nuances about its finish, the complex angles, the colors of the dial under different lighting, or how the light seems to dance off the beveled edges and smaller bracelet links. It's a watch that gets little attention unless you are among watch collectors, but depending on where you work its anonymity can be a good thing. Its also the most versatile watch I've owned. It works great for dressy events and great with jean and a T-shirt. Over the last year its gotten about 90% of my wrist time. However, if I were doing a lot of very active jobs or hobbies were it might get damaged, I wouldn't choose it. Its just not the kind of watch I'd feel as ok about punishing they way you can a Rolex.

You did discuss price...and there is a big difference. Don't do something that will really put a strain on your finances. You don't want to buy something that you regret and will always look at it as a constant reminder of something that was too much of a stretch. That wouldn't be fun and you won't enjoy it. Hope this helps. Wishing you luck with whatever you choose...as mentioned, both are great and you can't go wrong with either of them.

MG85

Reaction score
Dino,

Thanks for the reply. I was able to try on both the black and white Daytona's and really loved how the black dial looked. My current everyday watch is a Tag Aquaracer chronograph with white dial that I have worn for over 5 years so having a black dial chronograph would be a nice change, not to mention the clear upgrade. The AD which I have no history at was very helpful but said absolutely nothing could be done on the price of the Daytona which I expected might be the case.

I really wish I could try on the Jumbo. My first time trying on the 39mm Royal Oak I realized why people enjoy them so much. You can't appreciate it without trying it on and I'd imagine this is even more so the case with the Jumbo. I also love the idea of an exhibition back on a watch that has such a fantastic movement.

Neither watch would put a strain on my finances but for some reason the Jumbo seems a lot more expensive, probably because it is
smile.gif
. I think especially with luxury items everyone has a benchmark for what is "a lot" of money that gradually increases as they get more involved with that item. At one point in time $300 might be "a lot" of money for a pair of shoes for someone. A year later $1000 might be normal for that same person without their financial situation changing. For me the Daytona is in that comfort zone and the Jumbo is just outside of it. Although the Daytona probably makes the most sense for me right I guess I can always have the Jumbo in the back of my head.

Last edited:

NonServiam

Reaction score
MG85, the Daytona is a fantastic watch. I'm sure you will be very happy with it!

It was my grail for many years, probably fueled by the hype surrounding the watch some years ago. I worked for a (not Rolex) AD when I attended unversity, and spent a lot of time around watches. Like you I wore a TAG at the time, even that expensive for a student I thought. All the time the Daytona was on my mind. After graduating, working for a couple of years, I bought my first Rolex. Not the Daytona, but the Submariner. Still the watch that spends the most time on my wrist. But crack watches are stongly addictive, and I soon added other watches. Seamaster, GMT-Master etc. But forever the Daytona held it's appeal.

So one day I just caved in, and called round to different ADs. Most wouldn't give me the time of day. When I asked about the price, some even had the nerve to ask "Well, how much would you be willing to pay?" Bastards :) Until I happened upon the dealer who simply asked "Black or white?" Hm. White, please? "Ok, I'll put you on the list, and let you know when it arrives." One year later it did :satisfied:

Now the days of the hard-to-get-Daytona is over, but the watch is ever on the list of keepers. Hype or no hype, the Daytona has not lost an inch of its appeal to me. It's the pefect size for my (not too large) wrists, is both sporty and dressy, and it's hella-precise. Whatever my feelings for it, the watch is forever linked to our familiy, as I timed my daughter's birth with it and wore it on every picture from our first days together. I am grateful for the unisex vibes of the Daytona, as it is hers when I leave this mortal coil. Not a day before that mind you :lol:

Anyway, not the Daytona on my wrist today, but the 16758 18k GMT-Master. This is a picture from yesterday. Felt winter's first bite, -4 C. I'm always such a ***** when winter sets in, my body has forgotten the winters past. Had a blast riding snowscooters in effective -50 C at 78 degrees north in March, but come November, I whimper at anything under 0 :embar:

So, layers of wool to warm my body, and gold to warm my soul.

Last edited:

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love the 16758! With the distinct gold, bronze and brown shades, I think it is the most Autumnal watch ever made.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MG85 - Tough decision on your hands. I admire both watches and have only ever tried on a Daytona.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. She's wanted one for quite awhile, so I thought I'd surprise her with it.

Congratulations in advance to your wife - I'm sure she'll love it! Share pics if you can/want!

MG85, the Daytona is a fantastic watch. I'm sure you will be very happy with it!

It was my grail for many years, probably fueled by the hype surrounding the watch some years ago. I worked for a (not Rolex) AD when I attended unversity, and spent a lot of time around watches. Like you I wore a TAG at the time, even that expensive for a student I thought. All the time the Daytona was on my mind. After graduating, working for a couple of years, I bought my first Rolex. Not the Daytona, but the Submariner. Still the watch that spends the most time on my wrist. But crack watches are stongly addictive, and I soon added other watches. Seamaster, GMT-Master etc. But forever the Daytona held it's appeal.

So one day I just caved in, and called round to different ADs. Most wouldn't give me the time of day. When I asked about the price, some even had the nerve to ask "Well, how much would you be willing to pay?" Bastards
smile.gif
Until I happened upon the dealer who simply asked "Black or white?" Hm. White, please? "Ok, I'll put you on the list, and let you know when it arrives." One year later it did
satisfied.gif

Now the days of the hard-to-get-Daytona is over, but the watch is ever on the list of keepers. Hype or no hype, the Daytona has not lost an inch of its appeal to me. It's the pefect size for my (not too large) wrists, is both sporty and dressy, and it's hella-precise. Whatever my feelings for it, the watch is forever linked to our familiy, as I timed my daughter's birth with it and wore it on every picture from our first days together. I am grateful for the unisex vibes of the Daytona, as it is hers when I leave this mortal coil. Not a day before that mind you
lol8[1].gif

Anyway, not the Daytona on my wrist today, but the 16758 18k GMT-Master. This is a picture from yesterday. Felt winter's first bite, -4 C. I'm always such a ***** when winter sets in, my body has forgotten the winters past. Had a blast riding snowscooters in effective -50 C at 78 degrees north in March, but come November, I whimper at anything under 0
shog[1].gif

Love this story, thanks so much for sharing. As a father of two girls, the lines I put in bold especially resonates. Good stuff my man!

And yes, it's cold today.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I like side tabs on fitted suit pants. Sue me.

y8e3e3yv.jpg

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
side tabs work for one type of person imo. people who are in good shape and have no gut.

robw

Reaction score
Obviously, buying a watch like this is an emotional decision, so you should get what you like.

Having said that, my own opinion is between those two watches I would get the Daytona, no question. I own a Royal Oak (chrono not jumbo) and I love it but my Daytona is truly one of my favorite watches. I waited a long time before I could get my Daytona and it was always a grail type watch for me. I wear it with a suit all the time without any Issue. Unless you are in a very stuffy conservative business environment, and few businesses are these days, I wouldn't worry about that.

In addition, between those two watches you're basically looking at paying a lot more for a watch with no complication. The Daytona is the better value. It offers an exclusive in-house movement with a chronograph functions. Let's not even going to get into the issue of resale value. APs are way overpriced (i say this as an AP owner and fan) and the resale market very often reflects this.

Anyway, those are my two cents. Get what you like and don't look back.

Enjoy and good luck

So one day I just caved in, and called round to different ADs. Most wouldn't give me the time of day. When I asked about the price, some even had the nerve to ask "Well, how much would you be willing to pay?" Bastards :) Until I happened upon the dealer who simply asked "Black or white?" Hm. White, please? "Ok, I'll put you on the list, and let you know when it arrives." One year later it did :satisfied:

Now the days of the hard-to-get-Daytona is over, but the watch is ever on the list of keepers. Hype or no hype, the Daytona has not lost an inch of its appeal to me. It's the pefect size for my (not too large) wrists, is both sporty and dressy, and it's hella-precise. Whatever my feelings for it, the watch is forever linked to our familiy, as I timed my daughter's birth with it and wore it on every picture from our first days together. I am grateful for the unisex vibes of the Daytona, as it is hers when I leave this mortal coil. Not a day before that mind you :lol:

Anyway, not the Daytona on my wrist today, but the 16758 18k GMT-Master. This is a picture from yesterday. Felt winter's first bite, -4 C. I'm always such a ***** when winter sets in, my body has forgotten the winters past. Had a blast riding snowscooters in effective -50 C at 78 degrees north in March, but come November, I whimper at anything under 0 :embar:

robw

Reaction score
One more thing. Some friendly advice, having been through this a lot, I can tell you it is not a good idea to want one watch and buy another one instead as a substitute because you just couldn't buy the other one. You will still lust after the first watch and you will be out the money for the other. So buy the one you like or don't buy anything until you can. Unless you have enough money to throw around, or you enjoy buying and selling your watches (usually taking a loss when you do) just not a good idea.

Obviously, buying a watch like this is an emotional decision, so you should get what you like.

Having said that, my own opinion is between those two watches I would get the Daytona, no question. I own a Royal Oak (chrono not jumbo) and I love it but my Daytona is truly one of my favorite watches. I waited a long time before I could get my Daytona and it was always a grail type watch for me. I wear it with a suit all the time without any Issue. Unless you are in a very stuffy conservative business environment, and few businesses are these days, I wouldn't worry about that.

In addition, between those two watches you're basically looking at paying a lot more for a watch with no complication. The Daytona is the better value. It offers an exclusive in-house movement with a chronograph functions. Let's not even going to get into the issue of resale value. APs are way overpriced (i say this as an AP owner and fan) and the resale market very often reflects this.

Anyway, those are my two cents. Get what you like and don't look back.

Enjoy and good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads