1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Stitchy you are exhibiting many of the signs and symptoms of imminent koppage.

I wish you well in your illness :D

R

2. jet

jet Senior member

don't like the grid stitchy sorry

jk lol

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  3. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Outstanding combo MZ.... not blasphemous, and obviously we never would have known the brand unless you shared.

(But the sharing is what makes this thread so great LOL!)

I typically don't like more than a 2 mm taper on my straps (i.e. 20 X 18 would be my personal preference, depending upon buckle size of course) .... but man, that is a VERY sweet looking brown croc.

Love the glossy look, and it goes great with your specs, too.

:slayer:

addendum re: buckle size, I'm referring to OEM, since I'd almost always rather have the watch manufacturer's original buckle matched up with the piece, unless there's a compelling reason not to.

1 person likes this.
  4. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

5. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

indeed i am. here is to hoping it all ends well.

at first i was all :(

and then i was all :bounce2:

6. johanm

johanm Senior member

@in stitches - I love the 15400 as much as you do, but just as a cautionary note if you want it to be your "one watch" - make sure that you're relaxed about ordinary course wear and tear and possibly accumulating "battle scars". The finishing on the RO is just so precise and beautiful that it took me a long time to get comfortable wearing it outside of highly controlled environments like home or the office. Even now I can't ever 100% forget that it's on my wrist and could get dinged by a swinging door, a zipper, etc.

All that said, I honestly think it's one of the most beautiful watches in production. Just the right heft and presence for my taste. And watching light bounce off the various angles does not get old.

Finally, keep an eye on the TZ / TRF forums and don't be afraid to offer a bit less than the asking price. At least as of a year ago there were a ton of NIB/LNIB models with all dial options being sold by reputable grey market dealers in the $11-12k range. If you do go down this route, make sure the warranty card is both stamped and signed by an AD. Good luck!

7. in stitches

good stuff. yeah i have been thinking about the daily wear aspect, but i know that is part of what happens when you wear a watch every day. all my watches have "scars" and i am used to it. no way to keep it pristine forever.

should/when i buy i one, i will most likely go through one of my peeps, as i am in the trade and have some good access to goodies.

:cheers:

8. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

All great advice. There was a MSRP increase in January that bumped up the grey market prices a bit. I think Stichy's number was pretty solid, at least from what I've heard from my dealer.

9. jet

jet Senior member

dammit stitchy now i want a black face 41mm chrono

10. in stitches

yeah, that was my first reply. waiting to hear back from other peeps too. if i go 15300, obvi that changes things as it no longer a production piece.

do it. youre welcome. :)

11. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

I'm able to get a similar price as Stitchy for 15400 but one thing that bugs me is that I have to send the watch from Toronto to Clearwater, FL for any maintenance/repair service as Toronto Authorized Service center has stopped working on AP as of recently. Just called them today and found out. :angry:

12. in stitches

13. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

for sure, I was almost there.

14. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Gonna let a little shipping deter you from owning an AP???? haha

15. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

it might not but still I think this will have negative effect on Canadian buyers.

edit: also, why do you think Service center stopped working on AP?

16. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I could see that, but I guess I would have no problem sending it to Switzerland if Clearwater wasn't an option.

17. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

I agree, its a great brand and some waiting time is not that bad, just was very happy about bringing it to the service center in person.

18. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I can't say I blame you there! I would prefer to do the same.

I can't think of a better reason to take a little trip to FL!

19. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Hi @Newcomer @Keith T Generally speaking special editions and limited editions don't usually sway me one way or another. Unless there is overly garish branding itself on the case (JLC Rossi, older IWC Top Gun off the top of my head). In this case I'm not sure I see why there is so much disdain. True, the main aspect of these partnerships is in the end to marketing/ recognition, but I don't see anything wrong with also partnering and aiding a good cause while you're at it. Are they hoping they can tap into the wallets of eco-friendly warriors who will plunge 10K down for a watch and feel like they're making the world a better place? perhaps. But most of the watches will probably be purchased based on their aesthetics/design/specs with the maybe the added notion of a charitable partnership at the least. My Galapagos is long gone, but it served me well and to be honest I bought it for the the design but it was a nice nod to know at least some of the resources was going to either conservatory efforts or least increasing recognition of those efforts. The Panerai 318 "brooklyn bridge" - to me a 'special edition' that was actually a deterrent IMO, (movement fiasco not withstanding) Now, what you think of the new AT aesthetics - I'm not even going to guess :D [​IMG] and what I'm wearing today. It IS still a SeaDweller at heart so figured it's still welcomed here (really really crappy photo. WTF iPhone?) [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Eye-double-you-cee
    made Mission Earth / AMG
    simultaneous...

...ly.

Thus no credibility.

:teach:

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.