1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

SRSLY THO:

We found a turtle living in our back yard this week.

He's been camping out under a bush and swimming in the pool.

Mrs. Keith T is all concerned that he's lost his family or something.

2. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Ha! Screen shot courtesy of TC :D

1 person likes this.
  3. mimo

mimo Senior member

JLC, Panerai: also Richemont, same same

Rolex: evil empire, same old stuff made bigger and more expensive

AP: Jay Z special editions, probably enough said

Really, there aren't any good guys among major brands. They're all big business and they're all bending us over with the leverage of this sick watch addiction. Business is business.

But good guys or not, there are some awesome watches and I don't care, I still want them. ALL.

4. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Yea...I'm not sure what would make a watch co. a good guy or bad guy.

5. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Oh boy, not a contentious subject at all. ;)

Let's just say that I haven't been very impressed with Swatch Group or Richemont's designs or service in a long time (generally speaking, at least), and Swatch Group's love of Chinese component sourcing is particularly irksome at some of the price levels they see themselves as belonging in. LVMH pulls some nickel-and-dime BS with service policies/pricing too, but they don't seem as bad as the other two, and I've seen some good design from them from time to time.

Any company with good manufacturing and design integrity has my full support, especially independents and quasi-independents.

It's Friday night here, so I'll leave it at that for now.

Peace!

:hide:

Edit: Before I head off, I should mention that the big luxury conglomerates don't seem to have inflicted too much of their grabastic bullshit on the German manufactures. GO and especially Lange remain resolutely old-school in the way they do things. In fact, I can't think of a single German watchmaker, from Stowa on up, that doesn't offer a solid watch for the money. And they tend not to be design biters, either (though it's pretty obvious where GO got its inspiration for the Pano-series). ;)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    2 people like this.
  6. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

For example, I am not a huge fan of LVMH, but as a watch brand, Zenith has come out of some years of bad design into a reasonably good place as of late.

7. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

That's a rather morally relativistic stance. There's no doubt that some companies are honest, while others are rather obfuscatory when it comes to their manufacturing disclosure. The ones that are straight-up are the ones that get my watch buxx.

That reminds me, I really need to get myself a Nomos.

:)

8. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Nomos is definitely a good guy.

1 person likes this.
  9. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Haha. I may have all of Jay-Z's albums, but I draw the line at his special edition AP!

10. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

let me explain. makes lots of watches i like = good guy in my book.

also, rolex ruelz.

1 person likes this.
  11. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

You got 99 problems, but a Royal Oak ain't one?

1 person likes this.
  12. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Basically.

13. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Agreed. To quote Lil' Wayne, "I want it all but I know I don't need it"

14. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

among many other models or theirs that i adore. in a way, its kind of a shame imo that the popularity of the RO overshadows pretty much everything else they make. it also is probably do to the fact that most of their models are priced well beyond what most folks can afford.

15. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I just, today, received this beast after selling it off a couple of years ago. I knew I would correct that mistake at some point.
    The Japanese Domestic Market only Seiko Marinemaster300 SBDX001

[​IMG]

I've been a Seiko man for as long as I can remember. I really liked this watch when I had it, but I sold it off to pursue other Swiss interests. It's one hell of a watch for ~$2k US with it's unadjusted Grand Seiko movement. I'm obsessed with dive watches and this is one of the best in my opinion.

2 people like this.
  16. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I agree its a shame as they have had some interesting pieces in the past (although a few dogs too, look up AP Bamboo watch). However, the public speaks with their purchases and the Offshore Royal Oaks and Royal Oaks are what people mainly want and purchase from them. Even when they tried offering new models such as the Edward Piguet (rectangular model: time only, chronograph, perpetual calendar, tourbillon) or the John Schaeffer models, they never really captured the public's attention. I think they hang on to the Jules Audemars and Millenary models to have some type of current round dress and non-round dress watch to offer AP collectors. In addition, for many years RO's such as the 15300 and now the 15400 were the most accessible models to the public even though they were still significantly more expensive than say and "Entry level" Rolex, IWC, or Breitling. So I think ROOs and ROs will continue to overshadow their siblings.

17. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Congrats on your new addition! Now you owe us some wrist shots!!!

18. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Nice Seiko, T

do you mind sending me a link where you got yours please? (PM is cool)

Dino - well said about the good guy/bad guys in watches, although it's an interesting and insightful view proposed by B in the first place. I would agree with you though. It's a free market, we buy what we want not what we're forced to, so by rational we choose what watch is right for us - good, bad and sometimes (often times) ugly.

19. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I got this one and my last one from Higuchi. Just email Katsu.
    http://www.higuchi-inc.com

20. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I've got to say, I absolutely love that watch. Such a nice looking Diver. One of the best, especially for that price. I really would like to examine one up close and see how it wears, but that appears to be rather difficult without ordering one. I may have to pick one of those up used some day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.