• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Available in June! 200m WR, not bad!
buy me one please?
engraved_zpsd6d02e3c.jpg
hate to say this, but, that is freaking amazing.
Stitchy - than Nomos is growing one me, too.
see above, first comment of mine. :)
I have been trying to get a shot of how the crystal case sides of the DeVille Hour Vision can really catch the light even when the watch is on the wrist. This is the best I have been able to do so far:
I have worn this watch each day this week, and as of this morning it was running at +3 seconds - TOTAL - over that time. Very impressive for a 4 1/2 year old watch approaching the time for its first servicing. Omega really did sweat the details in seeking to make these new cal 8500 and 9300 series movements exceptionally accurate.
looks quite cool.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hey suaviter - it really depends on what you like doing. Vegas offers a smorgasbord of stuff to do, places to eat, shows to watch. There's the gambling scene, but if you're not much into that there are many other things to do. Shows - risque and not - are all over the place. There are shows unique to Vegas like Cirque du Soleil's "O" at the Bellagio, for example: the set is magnificent and Cirque can't exactly replicate the stage on the traveling circuit. My friend swears by the all-you-can-eat buffets, which can be found in most hotels (and some which run 24/7) - of course, he also weighs over 300 pounds. You've got higher end restaurants like Robuchon and Tao (which runs advertisements like the one below, which caught my attention this time around since I stayed at the Venetian this time around, where it's located): There are shooting ranges, amusement park rides (on top of hotels) - try the slingshot ride at the Stratosphere for a fun thrill. If you just feel like walking and avoiding the heat you can find your way through most hotels and just gawk at the magnificent excess for which Vegas is known: the fountains at the Bellagio, gondola rides at the Venetian, replicas of New York City, etc. On topic since we're at TWAT: there are several ADs in Vegas who carry great pieces. Tourneau might be a fine first stop for window shopping. Tesorini at the Bellagio offers a more curated selection, IMHO. There's always the seedier side of Las Vegas and Nevada in general, which I don't necessarily recommend (and all info for which I swear I've obtained through secondary sources)! But perhaps you'll get all the debauchery you'll need from the bachelor's party!
Fun fact; The Las vegas Tao is the highest grossing restaurant in the country (though a bit of a cheat since it is more than a restaurant). Del Frisco's NY location is the second. For a long, long time, first place honors went to Tavern on the green in Central Park.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That engraving is unbelievable. Just an outstanding job. That is what a Reverso is made for!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That engraving is unbelievable. Just an outstanding job. That is what a Reverso is made for!

:nodding:

a - who did the engraving, and do you mind to say what the charge was? PM me if you want to keep it private. i want to do mine on the back plate.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesomeness

I've been to both Cut and Tao - to be honest I was little disappointed with the Cut, but it may have been just that day. Still a great time there though and the restaurant is beautiful

TAO was fantastic..

Fun fact; The Las vegas Tao is the highest grossing restaurant in the country (though a bit of a cheat since it is more than a restaurant). Del Frisco's NY location is the second. For a long, long time, first place honors went to Tavern on the green in Central Park.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You boys aren't even trying. What you need is a quartz Rodania and a smelly rented Nissan Tiida. That what real men were doing today.
cloud.gif
P.S. Flake - nice! Very sexy - love the gentle asymmetry of the date and reserve dials. Stitchy - you need to stop that; the colours are tacky and I don't like the strap. There are nicer Nomos. You may bring me a Zurich, no date. The blue or anthracite or brown or white...any is fine. Tks. :)[/SPOILER]
Cool. One of my brothers recently came for a visit to Norway, and he brought this baby...
...so there's another expired-dictator watch in the thread! He'd been holding onto it since 2008 when he picked it up as a joke gift in Beijing. He was there to cheer for another brother at the Olympics. I had just taken a new job shortly before... bad timing on that. Anyway, what I like about this one is that Mao is attached to the pallet fork, so he briskly and tirelessly waves at 18000 bph. I've actually worn it a few times and I can't help but crack a smile when I see the arm flapping. It's a fun watch.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
PM me if you want to keep it private.

Don't do that. We ALL want to know!

Mao is attached to the pallet fork, so he briskly and tirelessly waves at 18000 bph. I've actually worn it a few times and I can't help but crack a smile when I see the arm flapping. It's a fun watch.

That's brilliant! Is it actually from the Mao era?

I have spent some time in Iraq (2005-7), but got mine a long time before that: the father of a school friend of mine was Iraqi, and a regional governor in Iraq in the 80s. He gave it to me in about '89, along with a bunch of cigars he'd been given with a picture of Tariq Aziz on the band. T.A. had apparently been given a pile of them during a visit to Cuba, and as they don't last forever and nobody's humidor is that big, passed them around. Some snotty English teenager - who would later work for the British Government, including in post-Saddam Iraq - was probably as far from the intended recipient as imaginable!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cool. One of my brothers recently came for a visit to Norway, and he brought this baby...

...so there's another expired-dictator watch in the thread!

He'd been holding onto it since 2008 when he picked it up as a joke gift in Beijing. Mao is attached to the pallet fork, so he briskly and tirelessly waves at 18000 bph. I've actually worn it a few times and I can't help but crack a smile when I see the arm flapping. It's a fun watch.

The idea of Mao waving at 18000 BPH would make me laugh! Must be every entertaining.

I've seen a watch with Bill Clinton's image, and as the seconds pass his nose grows like Pinocchio.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You've got higher end restaurants like Robuchon and Tao (which runs advertisements like the one below, which caught my attention this time around since I stayed at the Venetian this time around, where it's located):
FWIW, the tattoos on the back of the girl actually say "happy endings". :happy:
If that is yours, that is amazing. Is it from the guy in Washington state? I am planning a commission for my Reverso soon.
Yes it is mine, and yes it was just engraved by JC Randell, who was an absolute pleasure to work with. See below for more details regarding this.
hate to say this, but, that is freaking amazing.
Why the hate stitches??? Hehehehehe. :D
Congrats! Looks great! I'm, sure its a great feeling to truly make the watch "Yours."
I. Love. This. Congrats!
Awesomeness
Thanks guys, your kind words are really much appreciated. :slayer: To put things in perspective, the entire engraving is barely the size of a quarter. And FWIW every one of the 70-80 leaves on the tree has a unique leaf "vein" pattern engraved in. These veins are so fine that my crappy point & shoot camera actually cannot resolve them successfully. The entire engraving feels like a freshly minted bill when you run your finger across the surface. Amazing. I personally find this all very amazing, and I wish I could share this with you all in person.
:nodding: a - who did the engraving, and do you mind to say what the charge was? PM me if you want to keep it private. i want to do mine on the back plate.
Engraver - JC Randell. I was going to PM you this, but think it might be better if this were made public. The process is not dissimilar to getting a bespoke pair of shoes or a bespoke suit made - you approach him with an idea, he tells you if it is feasible or not, you discuss prices, he goes ahead with it if everything is agreed on. 50% deposit, remainder on completion. You have to allow him a bit of a free rein in the design process, which is possibly a bit unnerving given the permanence of what he is doing. But he is a consummate professional and clearly a skilled artist with an eye for good proportions. I believe he is self taught. To improve your chances of getting what you want, go to him after you've thought everything out - rough style of fonts preferred, size, shape, positions, actual main decorative design. He is not like an interior designer in the sense that he does not work with you to crystallise vague opinions you may have into reality, beyond making general suggestions and outlining practical boundaries. Unlike how like Le Sentier does for more complicated/expensive engraving requests, JC does not do paper drafts for your review/approval prior. He accepts digital sketches/mockups - I went down this route. The JLC website has images of the empty casebacks for most of the current lineup models - you can superimpose an image onto it to get a rough idea how the end product might look, like I did. He is not cheap - and I guarantee some of you will baulk at the price - but in the grand scheme of things IMO opportunities are few and far between where you can get something which is (once again IMO) truly "world best" for that sort of price. At least that's how I justify all this madness. :p
Don't do that. We ALL want to know!
I think for instances like this its best to contact him for exact quotes as it varies from engraving to engraving with the complexity. I am wary of creating a situation where people ask for X expecting Y price, and then saying "but you only charged apropos Y price for this, why the price difference now". Also, it's not as if he's inaccessible or difficult to get a hold of - my original email was responded to within 24 hours. I hope you guys understand. :) One or 2 more photos of Red for good luck...
recto_zps36a62c82.jpg
And with her new shoes from ABP in charcoal peccary(!)...
finished2_zpscda966f2.jpg

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that wasn't his nose.
Yea...I'm pretty sure that's what most people said when they first saw the Clinton watch.
FWIW, the tattoos on the back of the girl actually say "happy endings".
happy.gif
Yes it is mine, and yes it was just engraved by JC Randell, who was an absolute pleasure to work with. See below for more details regarding this.

Thanks guys, your kind words are really much appreciated.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

To put things in perspective, the entire engraving is barely the size of a quarter. And FWIW every one of the 70-80 leaves on the tree has a unique leaf "vein" pattern engraved in. These veins are so fine that my crappy point & shoot camera actually cannot resolve them successfully. The entire engraving feels like a freshly minted bill when you run your finger across the surface. Amazing.

I personally find this all very amazing, and I wish I could share this with you all in person.
Engraver - JC Randell. I was going to PM you this, but think it might be better if this were made public.

The process is not dissimilar to getting a bespoke pair of shoes or a bespoke suit made - you approach him with an idea, he tells you if it is feasible or not, you discuss prices, he goes ahead with it if everything is agreed on. 50% deposit, remainder on completion. You have to allow him a bit of a free rein in the design process, which is possibly a bit unnerving given the permanence of what he is doing. But he is a consummate professional and clearly a skilled artist with an eye for good proportions. I believe he is self taught.

To improve your chances of getting what you want, go to him after you've thought everything out - rough style of fonts preferred, size, shape, positions, actual main decorative design. He is not like an interior designer in the sense that he does not work with you to crystallise vague opinions you may have into reality, beyond making general suggestions and outlining practical boundaries.

Unlike how like Le Sentier does for more complicated/expensive engraving requests, JC does not do paper drafts for your review/approval prior. He accepts digital sketches/mockups - I went down this route. The JLC website has images of the empty casebacks for most of the current lineup models - you can superimpose an image onto it to get a rough idea how the end product might look, like I did.

He is not cheap - and I guarantee some of you will baulk at the price - but in the grand scheme of things IMO opportunities are few and far between where you can get something which is (once again IMO) truly "world best" for that sort of price. At least that's how I justify all this madness.
tongue.gif

I think for instances like this its best to contact him for exact quotes as it varies from engraving to engraving with the complexity. I am wary of creating a situation where people ask for X expecting Y price, and then saying "but you only charged apropos Y price for this, why the price difference now".

Also, it's not as if he's inaccessible or difficult to get a hold of - my original email was responded to within 24 hours. I hope you guys understand.
smile.gif

One or 2 more photos of Red for good luck...

recto_zps36a62c82.jpg

And with her new shoes from ABP in charcoal peccary(!)...

finished2_zpscda966f2.jpg
First, thanks for translating the poster for Tao...that's very funny! I remembered seeing that image when I was in Vegas, but had no idea what the tattoo said.

Second, thanks for describing the process you went through to personalize your Reverso. Sounds like Mr. Randell met or exceeded your expectations, which helps make the cost of such work worthwhile and I sure it creates a comfort level among other SFs that might use his services but may be a bit concerned about turning over a special and rare item to be personalized. I could not have told exactly how much detail the leaves have until you described them, but upon going back and looking carefully at the tree's details it becomes apparent that a great deal of thought and skill went into producing that image. Congrats again and thanks for sharing the details with your SF buddies.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noodling around with my camera as I was wearing this beauty today. It's hard to convey via a 2D picture just why Nautilus (and generally, Genta design) owners yammer so often about "quality of workmanship" and such. So in this pic I'm trying to capture dimensions of the bezel and how it slopes in a distinctly oval fashion. Not quite a perfect circle (by definition) but its very "imperfection" as a circle renders the porthole shape, in my eyes, even more eye-catching. Of course there's that much-hyped blue/green dial, which I never tire of seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics