1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I completely agree. There are surprisingly, surprisingly few watches in the $5-$15k field. Which is kind of where I like to hover. Not only that, but there were a whole lot of... gaudy watches this year. Hilarious that AP can release a stellar watch like the 15202 one year, and then release the line-up that they did this year.

Which is kind of why I respect JLC. I really like the fact that they have something from $5k to $250k.

Yes, it is nice when there is nothing to assuage your feelings for the aub/auf.

I have to say Mimo, very well thought out response. I think you are spot on regarding the strange amalgamation of sticks, arabic numerals of different typefaces, etc. It looks a bit discordant and sloppy, in my most humble of opinions. Although I have to say, I do not really care for the Classima all too much as well. I like it, but at that price range, I would look elsewhere. Good call on the awkward Panerai sized watch with classical looks. It does seem to echo the Portuguese line (or potentially Portofino) but it lacks the elegance.

I have to say, your knowledge has grown (more than) exponentially in the brief period of time in which you have been a denizen in these parts. It is pretty unbelievable! Although I would use the term pointer date instead of regulator date :). All in all though, I am incredibly impressed.

I guess I will have to just keep on keeping on! The fund keeps on a-growing :). It will be a while, but it will be worth it, I am sure.

And I think that you make a very good point. The price for the VC Patrimony Small Seconds in good is very fair though. Especially considering that I prefer it aesthetically to the Patek 5227. I mean... the 5227 is a Patek, but the VC I am sure you could pick up for ~$18k. At double the price, I don't think I would spring for the 5227. Even though that hunter's caseback is teh secks. But yeah, the platinum is a bit steep.

The aub/auf I think is gorgeous and offers the very best from Lange. I think it would be almost a perfect dress watch. It does not look very stodgy either, which I appreciate.

I also find that trend interesting this year. I really don't understand it. I doubt the Terraluna will be selling like hotcakes.

+1. Time to wait for Basel now, which fortunately is just around the corner! I am holding out for an end of the week surprise piece! And I will keep saving!

1 person likes this.
  2. wurger

wurger Senior member

Longines also have some good heritage watches.

3. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

[​IMG]

Hi there! Terrible lighting on my part.

Stitchy - I think most of the new Oyster bracelets have the 5mm micro adjustment link.

2 people like this.
  4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Looks great !!! Congrats and enjoy it.

Patek makes a great watch, but once the Calatravas hit the $20K+ range, IMHO they just didn't offer enough value for what it costs. Maybe I'm jaded by remembering when they had list prices that were less than half of what they are, and good discounts were readily available. Times change and prices change, but I personally I don't see that anything has improved (be it quality, R&D, or designs) to warrant where Calatravas' prices are today. For me the fact that a 5227 is a Patek does little to comfort me and reduce the perception that its significantly overpriced for what they are providing. Maybe its blasphemy here, while there are a few Calatravas I like, I find many rather stodgy.

Perhaps we should welcome the years when nothing at SIHH truly grabs our attention as its gives us time to save up more $$$ for the next great watch that we "Need."
    Looks great, but yes the lighting is bad. Until I enlarged the photo it looked like the bezel was all black. Love that watch...could be my next Rolex at some point!

5. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

[​IMG]

So, this is interesting. A Montblanc Perpetual Calendar Moonphase for under $13,000 in SS.

Thoughts? I will leave my impressions out for the time being :).

6. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Do not like. The subdials squeezed in to the middle of the dial turns me off. Give me a GO perpetual.

7. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I couldn't agree more Dino. $35-$37k for a time and date watch seems ludicrous to me. The lugs and the finishing on the 5227 are pretty spectacular, but it still uses a relatively unsophisticated (albeit well finished) movement. I love the 5227 aesthetically, especially the Dauphine hands, but I find that it presents a fairly terrible value proposition.

8. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I agree with the subdials being squeezed in the middle. The Hodinkee article then mentions the JLC MUT perpetual calendar for $7,000 more and it looks a lot better and is spaced out accordingly. Somehow I think price was driving the design and it was cheaper to cram everything together than to add some spacing and charge more.

9. mimo

mimo Senior member

Nuke, you're very kind. Thanks to you all for the education, and probably ruining my life. Anyway, I'm sure I will say something stupid soon. Perhaps below:

GO Senator Perpetual is certainly one I would like a lot more, just because it looks like it was designed to be what it is. That MontBlanc just screams of a small movement lost in a fashionably big case, with those big sticks as incongruous padding.

As for the Calatrava, it's just a lot of money for something very simple. Then again, a platinum Richard Lange costs that, and is simple too....but I'd love it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  10. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

looks great!

i thought so, but didnt was to assume. :)

this

11. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

No problem! Thanks for your contributions!

And yes, the GO Senator Perp is quite a lovely watch. I never really appreciated it until we all discussed it a while ago. And you know, the Montblanc looks like it is in a fashionably big case, but it actually clocks in at 39mm x 10mm. Darn near a perfect size in my opinion.

I am curious what the movement is. Perp Cals do not require that much in the way of space. But it looks like that movement was designed for a watch in the 34-36mm range? I am curious nonetheless.

And in regards to the RL--I put the platinum RL ahead of the RG 5227. The RL has a MUCH more interesting movement, to say the least. And platinum is awesome possum.

12. robw

robw Senior member

BP 7002 today.

This is something of a cult watch among watch geeks. It was only made in steel and has a beautifully finished, simple movement. You can google it for more info if you care
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aprapos of recent discussions, while not widely available, it does come up for sale from time to time on the various sites in the 4 to 5k range. It is a very classic and wearable 36mm and can certainly work as a dress watch. It was also made with a black dial.

1 person likes this.
  13. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

MontBlanc makes some handsome watches and while I appreciate what they're trying to do as a whole, there are just too many heavy hitters at that price point. This is assuming you don't need a perpetual calendar, and you're not factoring in any discounts on the MB (which shouldn't be too hard I think.)

As others have said, that's Daytona territory :D

That being said, a perpetual calendar in a quality case around 10k (assuming a little discount eventually) isn't shabby.

14. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Dino and Nuke

I agree with you guys. This phenomenon has especially turned me off a bit on Panerai. I mean Lord help me I've had several, but find these price increases a real kick in the ass when they haven't done anything to improve upon the watch. It just irks me. I get manufacturing costs go up, but the increase in costs of even some of their base models in the last 6-7 years alone is nuts.

I remember when you could walk out with BNIB automatic for a little over 4k. Ahhh those days are long gone I guess.

15. Keen

Keen Senior member

A friend's dad has that GO Senator Perp, and it's pretty damn stunning.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  16. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Sexy back.

Would like to see more BlancpaiN around here.

17. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

[​IMG]

Spock watch today.

1 person likes this.
  18. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Nice, Hayward. Don't see many of those, either.

Very interesting watch for several reasons, crown placement being perhaps the most obvious.

Does it have the typical Seiko light-up-the-whole-movie-theater lume?

"Sir, can you turn your watch off, please?"

19. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Yes, indeed it does. In fact I literally never need to "charge up" the lume for it to instantly readable all night. The 24 hour hand has blue lume, which bothered me until I got the whole concept of the dial - the 12 hour display is instantly readable, and 24 hour display right afterwards, neither distract from each other. It's also the only Spring Drive with the power reserve oriented in the right way, all the others look upside down to me.

20. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Agreed. There are too many watchmakers who apparently don't understand the golden ratio.

Also, it probably means there is a huge spacer for the movement inside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.