The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apropos

apropos Senior member

FWIW, the tattoos on the back of the girl actually say "happy endings". :happy:
    Yes it is mine, and yes it was just engraved by JC Randell, who was an absolute pleasure to work with. See below for more details regarding this.
    Why the hate stitches??? Hehehehehe. :D
    Thanks guys, your kind words are really much appreciated. :slayer: To put things in perspective, the entire engraving is barely the size of a quarter. And FWIW every one of the 70-80 leaves on the tree has a unique leaf "vein" pattern engraved in. These veins are so fine that my crappy point & shoot camera actually cannot resolve them successfully. The entire engraving feels like a freshly minted bill when you run your finger across the surface. Amazing. I personally find this all very amazing, and I wish I could share this with you all in person.
    Engraver - JC Randell. I was going to PM you this, but think it might be better if this were made public. The process is not dissimilar to getting a bespoke pair of shoes or a bespoke suit made - you approach him with an idea, he tells you if it is feasible or not, you discuss prices, he goes ahead with it if everything is agreed on. 50% deposit, remainder on completion. You have to allow him a bit of a free rein in the design process, which is possibly a bit unnerving given the permanence of what he is doing. But he is a consummate professional and clearly a skilled artist with an eye for good proportions. I believe he is self taught. To improve your chances of getting what you want, go to him after you've thought everything out - rough style of fonts preferred, size, shape, positions, actual main decorative design. He is not like an interior designer in the sense that he does not work with you to crystallise vague opinions you may have into reality, beyond making general suggestions and outlining practical boundaries. Unlike how like Le Sentier does for more complicated/expensive engraving requests, JC does not do paper drafts for your review/approval prior. He accepts digital sketches/mockups - I went down this route. The JLC website has images of the empty casebacks for most of the current lineup models - you can superimpose an image onto it to get a rough idea how the end product might look, like I did. He is not cheap - and I guarantee some of you will baulk at the price - but in the grand scheme of things IMO opportunities are few and far between where you can get something which is (once again IMO) truly "world best" for that sort of price. At least that's how I justify all this madness. :p
    I think for instances like this its best to contact him for exact quotes as it varies from engraving to engraving with the complexity. I am wary of creating a situation where people ask for X expecting Y price, and then saying "but you only charged apropos Y price for this, why the price difference now". Also, it's not as if he's inaccessible or difficult to get a hold of - my original email was responded to within 24 hours. I hope you guys understand. :) One or 2 more photos of Red for good luck... [​IMG] And with her new shoes from ABP in charcoal peccary(!)... [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2013

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Yea...I'm pretty sure that's what most people said when they first saw the Clinton watch.
    First, thanks for translating the poster for Tao...that's very funny! I remembered seeing that image when I was in Vegas, but had no idea what the tattoo said.

Second, thanks for describing the process you went through to personalize your Reverso. Sounds like Mr. Randell met or exceeded your expectations, which helps make the cost of such work worthwhile and I sure it creates a comfort level among other SFs that might use his services but may be a bit concerned about turning over a special and rare item to be personalized. I could not have told exactly how much detail the leaves have until you described them, but upon going back and looking carefully at the tree's details it becomes apparent that a great deal of thought and skill went into producing that image. Congrats again and thanks for sharing the details with your SF buddies.

3. no frills

no frills Senior member

Noodling around with my camera as I was wearing this beauty today. It's hard to convey via a 2D picture just why Nautilus (and generally, Genta design) owners yammer so often about "quality of workmanship" and such. So in this pic I'm trying to capture dimensions of the bezel and how it slopes in a distinctly oval fashion. Not quite a perfect circle (by definition) but its very "imperfection" as a circle renders the porthole shape, in my eyes, even more eye-catching. Of course there's that much-hyped blue/green dial, which I never tire of seeing.

[​IMG]

4. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

LOL'ed.

Roger P: I love that wrist shot of your Hour Vision.

apropos: that's stunning. You've got to be thrilled with it.

frilly: never gets old with the Nautilus. Given all the Vegas talk lately, maybe I should just jet out there, "put it all on black", and try to get back to Texas with one of those beauties.

Last edited: May 25, 2013

5. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

isnt there a waiting list for the nautilus? or is it only for ones with complications?

6. no frills

no frills Senior member

I am not sure if you are paraphrasing that classic Wesley Snipes line about "always bet(ting) on black" (from "Passenger 57" - which came out 21 years ago!), but I can't find fault with your betting strategy. Unsure about the results, though (who's ever sure, except the house?).

Not that I'm enabling you or anything like that (as if any of us needed more enabling), but here's another shot I took earlier today, trying to capture that elusive iridescent property of that much ballyhooed blue/green dial. Must say it deserves most of the hype surrounding its supposed magical look.

[​IMG]

It really depends on the AD you visit. I visited Wempe in NYC last week and there was a white dial Nautilus just hanging around there for anyone's taking. It should also be pretty straightforward to source a 5711 from the secondary market, although the usual caveats apply about provenance, quality, completeness, validity of warranty, etc.

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

There used to be a wait list a several years ago, but not anymore. Sure some dealers have more clients interested in one model than another, but short of that they are not that difficult to obtain. On my last trip to Vegas, I popped into several watch stores, including the 3 local ADs for Patek. Between the 3 of them, they had every Nautilus model available for sale.

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Looks great Frills! Always a pleasure seeing a beautiful Genta design.

9. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Summer finally arrived (or stopped by) in my northern corner of the world. Enjoying the evening sun, 7-days Portuguese on my wrist.

[​IMG]

10. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Great minds ... [​IMG]

11. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Great pictures too!

Today, I continued the saga (with which I won't bore you again) of trying to get my old Omega fixed. Having messed around with the new AD for about four months, I went back to the old AD who have their own service centre, and said they'd take a look. While I was there, I had a look at these:

(Sorry for the blur) Dial is lapis, so those little orangey-gold dots are natural.

[​IMG]

Really liked this simpler one on the wrist.

[​IMG]

Monster 46mm skeleton diver with tourbillon...so silly I had to at least look...

[​IMG]

Any expert thoughts on Roger Dubuis in general?

12. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Incidentally, trying those watches above made me think of the whole "big watch" discussion (I know it's never-ending, but I hope this is not too contentious). The first two "Excalibur" models above are 42mm, which is pretty big - although I'm told these are an in-between version and the larger ones are 45. They me think about comments in TWAT along the lines of "it wears big" or "doesn't wear as big as it looks".

These wear big. Not because they're especially tall, but I think it's something to do with the hard edges to the case/bezel. For comparison, I tried a 45mm Omega Planet Ocean recently while bored in an airport. It's 3mm bigger than the above Excaliburs, slightly deeper/taller I think, and yet "wears smaller" in my opinion:

[​IMG]

Maybe partly it's the light weight that makes it seem smaller psychologically, but i think the smooth bezel also makes it seem a lot less.

Anyway, there's a second point to this. I normally wear (although not for the last four months!) a very small (35mm) vintage Omega, and don't feel it looks odd. But to my surprise, the one above didn't look too odd on my either. As a big fat lump, it seemed perfectly proportionate! (Excuse airport/BB/mirror pic)

[​IMG]

So I guess what I'm trying to say is...wear what you want! My wrists aren't huge, so I think unless the case is actually bigger then your wrist, anything goes...and if you like them smaller...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All under 35mm...

Last edited: May 26, 2013

13. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

This is pretty surprising; if they rake in so much $, why do they need those annoying cab ads?

14. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

NonServiam and rnguy - fantastic!!

thanks for all the info. that pic with teh new strap is sublime. love it.

no hate before, was just messing.

15. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

While I was at Art Basel I popped on over to the Christie's previews to cop a peep at the Greubel Forsey GMT which is a work of art, but probably best not actually worn on a wrist unless you want your left arm to be about 3 inches longer than your right.

However, it was an honor and a privilege to be in the same room as this beauty - the grail of grails:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.