1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

That Maurice Lacroix is beautiful! I love the layout of the dial and the gold bezel adds just enough flair.

When I first say the Nomos in a magazine I liked it. Now that I look at the watch some more, the dial is too, I don't know if I am saying this right, architectually laid out. The lines are thin and perfect...it just sort of bothers me for personal taste. It works for certain people and I have nothing against it but I would not personally think about purchasing it.

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Nothing to worry about Keith. I was parked in the driveway while Mrs. Dino snapped that photo.
    Its on its way...the tracking number is 1234567891011121314 [​IMG]
    Nice find. I have a black dial 16570. It was the first watch my wife ever bought for me and it was a wedding gift to use when we were going overseas for our honeymoon. Great watch, and for many years it was my daily wearer. Enjoy yours!
    Great Patek, ugly car.
    You and Ron didn't miss anything by not knowing what it is. IMHO, its a car that is different. The problem is, whether its a car, a watch, or just about anything...different is easy. Creating something better and more beautiful than the "standards" by which others are measured is very difficult. Sadly, the makers missed the mark when it comes to better or beautiful.
    Hi Ron, glad to hear it was just auto correct. I wasn't sure where you were headed bringing ballet into the conversation. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the wrist shot! Would it help if I mentioned my father in law has a Richard Nixon watch (that I'm sure I'll inherit one day), and my last 2 daily drivers each had more than 200,000 miles when we gave up on them.

3. Flake

Flake Senior member

Nixon? My dad had a Spiro Agnew watch. Not sure what ever happened to it

4. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Nice. I'mma have to step my game up.

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

was browsing the sothebys listings, and saw these notables, amongst others.

clicking for larger is required

have wanted one of these vintage rolexes FOREVER.

auction estimate 60-80k

[​IMG]

see frilly, a dot between the 31 and 1 is the way to go with your PP perp cal. no idea why they would not do this on all the calendar models. frilly you must get these!

action estimates

18k pink gold 75 - 100k

18k white gold 80 - 120k

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and a PP retrograde perp cal repeater in plat i can really sink my teeth into

auction estimate 350 - 450k

[​IMG]

so much win. :drool:

6. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

That's a lot of awesome. Can't help but notice that Frilly's not here...maybe he's....

7. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

its more awesome than can generally be handled at once.

8. no frills

no frills Senior member

... at Sotheby's preparing his bid!

Oh yeah... those 3970s do have that dot between 1 and 31, huh. It's interesting how these subtle differences crop up across series. For example, the piece I have does not have that little dot, but I have the sculpted baton markers:

[​IMG]

Which I like more than the stick markers from the photos above. Although Belligero will probably point out that my piece has the more lifeless sans serif font for the day and month versus the more stylized font used in the Sotheby's pieces.

But where was I? I was actually in Las Vegas for a few days for a conference. Apparently hiring a car service from the hotel to the airport means you get driven around in something like this (pardon the bad pic, I attribute this to the irrational hold Blackberry still has on me):

[​IMG]

I had to get up at 3am Vegas time, and of course there were shops open 24/7, including a watch and jewelry boutique. I've had my fill of "small, elegant" 36mm pieces, and even the AP ROOs in stock didn't do it for me. So, since I figured, heck, since I was in Vegas........

[​IMG]

9. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Hahaha you didn't!

Next is the Graham "Chronofighter"....[​IMG]

10. bernoulli

bernoulli Senior member

Somebody recently mentioned Frederique Constant. Pretentious as hell and trying too hard to be like the major brands on design and looks but without the technical apparatus. Neverthless, I really like mine.

[​IMG]

11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Originally Posted by no frills I had to get up at 3am Vegas time, and of course there were shops open 24/7, including a watch and jewelry boutique. I've had my fill of "small, elegant" 36mm pieces, and even the AP ROOs in stock didn't do it for me. So, since I figured, heck, since I was in Vegas........ [​IMG] [/quote] Interesting choice...a wall clock on a strap. Not my taste ... but congrats & enjoy! Hope you had fun Vegas...Mrs. Dino & I had a blast there last October.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  12. no frills

no frills Senior member

Interesting choice...a wall clock on a strap. Not my taste ... but congrats & enjoy! Hope you had fun Vegas...Mrs. Dino & I had a blast there last October.[/QUOTE]

Hah hah, naw, naw, I didn't get it. I did try it on for fun, though!

13. dbln79

dbln79 Well-Known Member

You probably got a pretty good workout trying it on!

14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

More likely tennis elbow and a hernia.
    Thanks for clarifying that.

I was worried the next thing we would see you wearing would be "pleather" shoes embossed with an alligator print, to go with a new polyester Elvis impersonator jump suit...After all it is Vegas. And what happens in Vegas and is purchased in Vegas, should stay in Vegas.

15. ant702

ant702 Senior member

Available in June! 200m WR, not bad!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.