The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:drool:

2. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Why drool - for just $1.25M or so, it can be yours.I'll be happy to proxy if you wire me the money. Or you can send it to my brother's bank account in Nigeria.

3. in stitches

:happy: deal!

4. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I'm not the biggest fan of the RD designs in general, but I hear as a manufacturer they are very highly regarded. I've never tried on any, but would definitely welcome the opportunity to strap one on at some point. I agree some watches just wear completely differently. I think things like color, height, bezel diameter and shape can all create a larger/smaller perception (if that makes any sense..) I have to say I love that PO. Titanium goodness, and that blue ceramic is just as you said, SPECIAL. A little expensive yes, but it's an incredible watch. Looks great on you too. Cheers

5. no frills

no frills Senior member

Wow. That bad girl is a beauty. Did you get a sense of its proportions/dimensions? Details about its complications? Visually I can see a moonphase, looks like a split seconds chrono too. But these things can hold in excess of 12-15 complications via various openings that slide or click open...

Yah - other factor is size/length/shape of lug. This little one is all of 36mm but has a decent height to it and its relatively long lugs render it wearing a bit large, at least on my wrist.

s. [​IMG]

6. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Mimo: thanks for sharing the pictures! I echo Frills' sentiment in re the shoes!

I think that the RD Excalibur is a cool looking watch! I feel like everyone should have a "let your hair down" sort of watch, and I think this would fit the bill nicely. I have been told my watches a bit old fogeyish, so I guess it makes sense to get a watch that is a bit more fun. I really like the silver one especially.

7. in stitches

love

8. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Frilly -

http://www.watchtime.com/blog/christies-auction-historic-patek-philippe-grand-complication/

9. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

and GREEN socks. Very inspired.

10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

The titanium PO is gorgeous. It wears big because it IS big. Unlike the steel versions which come in 42 and 45mm sizes, the Ti PO comes in 45mm only.

11. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Yes indeed. But I was trying to say the 42mm RD wears bigger, sorry I said the sizes wrong for the PO - edited!

I really do like the Ti PO....even though it's silly. Something about making the bigger case just for the sake of it, with the same movement, puts me off. But...I kind of love it anyway.

Last edited: May 26, 2013

12. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Yeah, I'm hoping His Royal Highness might deign to comment on RD as a maker. I can't say I fell in love with anything in the dealer, although I did like the second one once I was wearing it.

That silky titanium and near-edible blueness on the PO..yes indeed.

Yeah, looking again at the pics, the RD Excalibur's lugs are pretty prominent, whereas the larger PO seems to have shorter lugs in a softer shape. Definitely defines the feel a lot.

Hehe...Crockett & Jones Grasmere..nothing extraordinary but I like the scotchgrain texture, and they feel bullet proof and comfortable for travelling. Weird I was wearing those in the airport PO pic; I was just talking about them yesterday in another thread.

I definitely agree about having something "fun" or unusual, or just very casual. But I have to say for the money ($15k rrp, $11k easily enough), I'm not sure it delivers for me. Then again, some nerdy knowledge from Dino on how fabulous the movement is could change how I look at it - it certainly looks special with the micro rotor and whatnot. But right now I'm thinking that would buy a selection of recreational watches that I would enjoy - that phat PO for boats and beaches, and a basic Panerai for bikes and football, for example? Then again, it's not exactly a sports watch anyway; more a statement dress watch. Hard to place it, but then I guess that's what makes it individual.

Quote: Thanks a lot; green is on the conservative side, but one of my favourites - Mazarin from "meschaussettesrouges.com"

13. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Interesting you bring this up. I have been thinking about getting a watch that is "fun", this day of the week watch from Ochs and Junior. Note how the day dot lines up with the numbers 1-7. Designed for children, but I love the whimsy.

[​IMG]

14. in stitches

just got these ready, amongst others. :)

vintage submariner no date 5513

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

iwc mark xvi

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Scott, I get you but that's too "toy-like" for me I think. Have to see it in the flesh for sure.

Stitch, save me that Sub...and will you throw in the pair of Tricker's too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.