1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:slayer: beautiful! im so glad you went with that. excellent choice. :bigstar:

i hope she enjoys it for many many years.

the "visible oscillating rotor" i believe refers to the inner black circle on the dial, which you should be able to see oscillate. i think thats what i means anyways.

2. no frills

no frills Distinguished Member

It certainly oscillates in a psychedelic way! She loves the piece. I don't know how ladies pieces from JLC is perceived, but this one has heft and presence on the wrist - my wife thinks it looks more imposing than her 36mm DJ (and certainly her 26mm DJ). She likes it!

To be fair, I was also looking at a Breguet and a IWC and another JLC reverso, but at the end of the day went with this model partly because I saw some of the postings in this thread and got more interested in the Squadra look - not exactly "classic" and not everyone's cup of tea, but it works for us!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013

3. in stitches

awesome.

as far as "classic" goes, the original design drawings for the first reverso, were drawn as a square, not a rectangle. :)

4. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

Thanks Frills. Did you try on the a Jumbo or the 15400 (with sweep seconds hand)? They sit and feel different although both are ROs. I like the Nautilus a lot. My Dad had one for several years. When I decided I wanted a luxury sport watch in steel I considered and looked at the Nautilus, Aquanaut (not a fan of that one), the VC Overseas, various ROs, and a few other brands. IMHO, the PP and AP had the most intricate designs with the finest workmanship. The finish on other watches was really good, but just not on the same level as that found on the Nautilus or RO. For me the RO has always had a slight edge design wise over the Nautilus, but its close. If I spent that kind of money on another steel time only watch, it would be a Nautilus.

I like AL&S but the only models that really interest me are the Lange 1 and the Cabriolet. A friend had a Datograph, great movement, but I never liked the watch.
    +1. However, OQ's MSRP topped out at roughly 15% of the MSRP of the Jumbo, and it does have a lot to offer if one likes the 70s style sports watch style of a case with integrated bracelet. Tough to imagine at one time it was the top of the line SS Rolex (carrying a higher price than a Sub or Daytona), and it gave one features that took many years to appear on other Rolex watches (which were not all gold or platinum), such as a synthetic saphire crystal, solid bracelet links, water resistance to 100m (when many were only wr to 50m) and it was more antimagnetic than the original Milgauss watches (but without the need for an iron cage). Its never been a direct competitor with the AP RO, but overall I think its a great value and an interesting part of their history. I just put them together for the photo since they were both born in the same decade.
    Hi Keith,

You are correct, the OQ is 36mm, but it wears and seems larger than some other Rolex models due to the very wide bracelet links. After wearing it for a week the links of a standard Oyster bracelet seem narrow and the jubilee bracelet seems almost feminine. I've never wanted a Datejust, but I love the design of the OQ. The famous ticking is very loud, so I wouldn't wear it to a quiet ceremony. However, if the noise bothers you and the design interests you, all you have to do is seek out one of its rarer, pricier, and quieter siblings ref 1530...which was an Oysterquartz case and bracelet with standard DJ automatic movement. The main visible differences between OQ ref 17000 and the 1530 are the movement of the sweep second hand and the outer edge of the dial is angled on the 1530.

5. Newcomer

Newcomer Distinguished Member

Very, very nice! I hope the wifey enjoys it. I took the lady friend recently to look at watches, and she really did not like anything. The first time we went she showed interest, then when we came back, it seemed like the interest had abided. So now she can't stand jewelry or watches--I can't if that makes things easier or more difficult!

Your preparedness for Valentine's Day is making me feel bad! Just getting back from Mardi Gras, and I think that V-Day plans are about the last thing I want to start preparing for :embar:

6. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

Congrats to the Mrs. on her Valentine's day gift! I'm sure she will enjoy it for many years. Also it sounds like Stitchy helped lead you to a great choice!

The Nautilus looks fantastic with your suit and I love the olive shoes with it too! The tie really does pop, but for some reason I've just never been able to warm up to Stefano Ricci products. Still overall a great look!

7. in stitches

i try my best. :)

and +1 to the bold.

8. Coldcava

Coldcava Senior Member

I'm late to the party commenting on this, but this might be the single greatest watch post I've seen here. While looking at expensive bling is fun, the connection with your father makes this an even more amazing watch. Appreciate you posting here.

9. kentyman

kentyman Senior Member

Thanks, Coldcava. I was happy to see all the other support for chocsosa's quartz gift.

10. no frills

no frills Distinguished Member

Thanks, Newcomer - yes, I do have it easy in the sense that my wife appreciates jewelry and watches. Not easy on the wallet, but easy in terms of choosing what to get her for special occasions!

Ah, I tried the Jumbo on. I will try the 15400 next time. Good point about different feel. Yeah, these two have always been head to head for me and since I have a soft spot for Patek the Nautilus won the day.

Funny enough, I passed by Wempe this morning and was greeted by Rudi Albers - who was also wearing a 5711/1A (I think it's been his daily wearer for a few months now). We both confirmed how comfortable the watch sat on our wrists.

11. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Epic gift! Husband of the year! None of us stands a chance now. Beauty-ful JLC. In all aspects, really. The sunburst action is next-level.

12. johanm

johanm Senior Member

It's interesting how two watches that serve such similar functions as the Nautilus and RO can evoke such different feelings. To my eye the Nautilus represents sensual/agile/streamlined/classical, and the RO rakish/muscular/precise/modern. Could easily see a collection having room for both.

13. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior Member

Owned the 15300 for a while, and while it was a handsome look, it never felt right on my wrist. The Nautilus feels nothing but right. The Jumbo RO might have been better for me, but the Nautilus is just perfect. Oh, and the 5712 > 5711. IMNSHO :embar:

[​IMG]

14. marvin100

marvin100 Senior Member

Gorgeous. The finish on that piece is really something.

15. ant702

ant702 Senior Member

Is that an older model?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.