The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Very nice.

However I tend to disagree.

5711 > 5712, an 5711 and 15300 are both worth having. IMHO LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  2. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I have a question for all you high-rolling collectors out there. I've been admiring your watches, and noting your various fixations with a brand, complication or style. So here's the question - a difficult one, but not impossible:

Imagine you had one watch. You would never have another. Wear it or don't wear it are your only choices. Choose one. Just one. The perfect, versatile, useful, beautiful, watch for life.

3. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

How I feel about it right now? Id have to say a submariner ( 5513 or 1680)

Predictable answer? yes, but there's wisdom in crowds I suppose

4. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Not really a high roller here, but see my post from yesterday for why the 1675 would be my choice.

5. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

+1 for a (no-date) sub. Got one 20+ years ago and I would probably have been fine without adding any of the couple of watches that I have over the last few years.

Granted, none of the ones I have are +10k$, so it'll be interesting to see what the guys with several of those will recommend as a 'one watch'.

6. no frills

no frills Senior member

Quote:Given my current lifestyle, work/weekends, preferences for aesthetics, workmanship, etc. I'd have to go with the 3940P too. However, if I lived a bit of a sportier lifestyle I suspect the 116520 will come in a very close second.

7. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

The PP is a nice watch no doubt, but I wouldnt feel right wearing it with jeans and a tshirt

8. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

9. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

fantastic pics and watches. please forward them to me so i may decide what is best. :devil:

10. no frills

no frills Senior member

Quote:Yes, I get that. Personal preference thing - I never had a problem wearing my old 5119R or 3919J with a shirt and jeans, haha. Now I kind of think the more complicated 3940 fits the jeans/shirt look even better than the "classic Calatravas."

11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Just curious which you had tried. The 15400 is a nice watch, but to me its proportions just didn't seem quite right compared to the Jumbo, or the 15300. As for the RO vs the Nautilus, at that level of quality its largely personal preference.

Quote:
    For me the RO is the original sports luxury watch and as such its quite special to me. However, I really like the Nautilus and would love to have one in my collection someday. I think your assessment is very accurate. I find the RO a more industrial design, more angular, a bit heavier, and modern. I find the Nautilus softer and more supple in design and feel. Actually, when comparing the RO Jumbo (which has a thinner bracelet than other ROs) I found its bracelet still felt heavier than that of the Nautilus and maybe a bit more up to the task of sustaining the punishment of being a daily wearer for many years. The Nautilus bracelet felt almost a bit too thin to me for years of daily use...but thats just my 2 cents. Both are great watches and should be appreciated as much for their differences as their similarities, and both can easily exist in the same collection. My Dad had both at the same time back in the late 1980s.
    Thats a beauty. For me it would a tough choice, some nice complications and the micro rotor, or the classic time only Nautilus which really shows off the beauty of the dial's color.
    Proof they can live happily together in the same collection. Great choices.

12. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

So I take it my word is no longer good enough for you? LOL

13. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Thank you sir.

14. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I'd guessed there would be some Rolex love after recent conversations - and I think the emphasis on practicality and reliability, as well as personality, somehow sounds right. But I get the 3040P too - it's a subtle size, but plenty going on. And I think it would look great with a T-shirt, because for all its dressy proportions, the extra comlpications make it almost sporty if you want it to be. But my only issue with that would be: circumstances that call for scruffy clothes might not be suitable to risk a $60k watch?

Anyway, now we're getting warm; come on Dino and 3D, pick just one. Your reputations precede you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.