1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

Wow tought choice. If living on a deserted island with no hope of rescue and needing it to work for many years without any service I'd go with a Submariner.

But for my current lifestyle, it would be the AP RO Jumbo. IMHO its a beautiful design, it started the luxury watch concept, and its versatile enough that I can and do wear it with jeans just as easily as a suit and tie. I've barely taken the time to wear a different watch since I got it in August...and hell if I got stranded on a deserted island I could pass the time just admiring its beautiul movement [​IMG]

2. dddrees

dddrees Distinguished Member

Although it might be possible to chose only one, I'm extremely happy that's not something I have to do.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013

3. no frills

no frills Distinguished Member

Quote:Yes. mimo presents an interesting exercise, but I'm glad that it's not something I have to do.....

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:laugh:

you can never be too careful.

5. Dino944

When I was in grad school, I would have said a steel Daytona.
    I had a buddy that used to wear a Calatrava with jeans and a t-shirt and it never looked quite right to me. I think the only Patek that I could wear with jeans and like the look would be a Nautilus.

6. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I'm not saying you're predictable, but given the love you've shown both of these on the thread, I have to say I saw it coming! Both make total sense, too (I like the idea of perpetual entertainment via display caseback too!)

I'm no in grad school (I wish!), but I might be in agreement with your grad school self. That watch has got under my skin, thanks to this thread!

Come on 3D, don't be a spoilsport. You don't have to, but you could just humour me. [​IMG]

7. Dino944

Thanks Cylon. The new watch is a very handsome piece, and I like the cufflinks in the photo too. I prefer the dial on my slightly evolved rose gold version from 2006. The Romans/hour markers give it some character and they way they are placed on the dial also emphasizes the asymetric design.

[​IMG]

8. Cylon

Cylon Senior Member

I do agree with you. I usually prefer minimalism (the MUT Moon is a testament to that), but here I must defer to your 2006 version (not that its particularly cluttered either).

9. Dino944

Hi Mimo, thanks for presenting a very entertaining exercise. My answer is largely based on my ownership experiences. I have 3 dress watches on strap, but I don't wear them very often. I thought about the watches I wore the most (Daytona 5 years daily wearer, Sub 2 years daily, Explorer 2 for 8 years daily, Cartier Pasha 1 year daily), what I liked about them, their versatility, and how they have or do fit my lifestyle. I think the answer could easily change based on lifestyle. But at this point, as a do anything go anyplace watch the AP RO is just so easy to wear. Its appropriate for anything and the quality is top notch...so it was my final answer.

10. Big A

Big A Distinguished Member

Brand new I think

11. johanm

johanm Senior Member

Agreed, there are lots of Pateks that would look great with t-shirt/jeans, provided that both are modern fitting and good quality. Personally would either go for one of the enamel dial / hobnail bezel Calatravas (as you suggested; to achieve a similar effect to a Tank or Santos, which are classic with casual clothes) or one of the larger/thicker chronos - 5270, 5970, 5070. Frankly I think the Nautilus works best to enhance the sportiness of a suit/tie or business casual ensemble and can look a little timid with casual attire (at least what I wear).

12. Flake

Flake Senior Member

Of all the watches I currently own, if I had to get rid of all but one the one would be my no date Sub. Not my favorite among the group but it would be the "one" if I had to pick.

13. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior Member

Ah, the mythical one watch :cool: I've played that game a few times.

Of the watches I own: Daytona. Because it was a grail for so many years, and it is the watch I am leaving for my firstborn daughter. Timed her birth with it, and to be honest, it's a bit of a ladies' watch :laugh: Anyway, I love it, and I'm hoping that many many years from now when I'm old and full of years, my daughter will too.

If I were to buy a new watch to be the one, I'd choose a Sub. The new generation perhaps, to ensure the longest possible access to replacement parts? Or a 16610, just because it's such a classic.

The one should be a bit boring, that's how you know it's going to stay classic ;)

14. Cylon

Cylon Senior Member

[​IMG]

I timed my wifes contractions on the watch I specifically bought to commemorate his birth--good thing I chose a chrono right?

15. Flake

Flake Senior Member

Yeah an old fashioned Breguet one handed suscripcion would not have worked well for that
    :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.