The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Wow tought choice. If living on a deserted island with no hope of rescue and needing it to work for many years without any service I'd go with a Submariner.

But for my current lifestyle, it would be the AP RO Jumbo. IMHO its a beautiful design, it started the luxury watch concept, and its versatile enough that I can and do wear it with jeans just as easily as a suit and tie. I've barely taken the time to wear a different watch since I got it in August...and hell if I got stranded on a deserted island I could pass the time just admiring its beautiul movement [​IMG]

2. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Although it might be possible to chose only one, I'm extremely happy that's not something I have to do.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  3. no frills

no frills Senior member

Quote:Yes. mimo presents an interesting exercise, but I'm glad that it's not something I have to do.....

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:laugh:

you can never be too careful.

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

When I was in grad school, I would have said a steel Daytona.
    I had a buddy that used to wear a Calatrava with jeans and a t-shirt and it never looked quite right to me. I think the only Patek that I could wear with jeans and like the look would be a Nautilus.

6. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I'm not saying you're predictable, but given the love you've shown both of these on the thread, I have to say I saw it coming! Both make total sense, too (I like the idea of perpetual entertainment via display caseback too!)

I'm no in grad school (I wish!), but I might be in agreement with your grad school self. That watch has got under my skin, thanks to this thread!

Come on 3D, don't be a spoilsport. You don't have to, but you could just humour me. [​IMG]

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Thanks Cylon. The new watch is a very handsome piece, and I like the cufflinks in the photo too. I prefer the dial on my slightly evolved rose gold version from 2006. The Romans/hour markers give it some character and they way they are placed on the dial also emphasizes the asymetric design.

[​IMG]

8. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

I do agree with you. I usually prefer minimalism (the MUT Moon is a testament to that), but here I must defer to your 2006 version (not that its particularly cluttered either).

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi Mimo, thanks for presenting a very entertaining exercise. My answer is largely based on my ownership experiences. I have 3 dress watches on strap, but I don't wear them very often. I thought about the watches I wore the most (Daytona 5 years daily wearer, Sub 2 years daily, Explorer 2 for 8 years daily, Cartier Pasha 1 year daily), what I liked about them, their versatility, and how they have or do fit my lifestyle. I think the answer could easily change based on lifestyle. But at this point, as a do anything go anyplace watch the AP RO is just so easy to wear. Its appropriate for anything and the quality is top notch...so it was my final answer.

10. Big A

Big A Senior member

Brand new I think

11. johanm

johanm Senior member

Agreed, there are lots of Pateks that would look great with t-shirt/jeans, provided that both are modern fitting and good quality. Personally would either go for one of the enamel dial / hobnail bezel Calatravas (as you suggested; to achieve a similar effect to a Tank or Santos, which are classic with casual clothes) or one of the larger/thicker chronos - 5270, 5970, 5070. Frankly I think the Nautilus works best to enhance the sportiness of a suit/tie or business casual ensemble and can look a little timid with casual attire (at least what I wear).

12. Flake

Flake Senior member

Of all the watches I currently own, if I had to get rid of all but one the one would be my no date Sub. Not my favorite among the group but it would be the "one" if I had to pick.

13. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Ah, the mythical one watch :cool: I've played that game a few times.

Of the watches I own: Daytona. Because it was a grail for so many years, and it is the watch I am leaving for my firstborn daughter. Timed her birth with it, and to be honest, it's a bit of a ladies' watch :laugh: Anyway, I love it, and I'm hoping that many many years from now when I'm old and full of years, my daughter will too.

If I were to buy a new watch to be the one, I'd choose a Sub. The new generation perhaps, to ensure the longest possible access to replacement parts? Or a 16610, just because it's such a classic.

The one should be a bit boring, that's how you know it's going to stay classic ;)

14. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

[​IMG]

I timed my wifes contractions on the watch I specifically bought to commemorate his birth--good thing I chose a chrono right?

15. Flake

Flake Senior member

Yeah an old fashioned Breguet one handed suscripcion would not have worked well for that
    :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.