• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
However, if I lived a bit of a sportier lifestyle I suspect the 116520 will come in a very close second.
When I was in grad school, I would have said a steel Daytona.
The PP is a nice watch no doubt, but I wouldnt feel right wearing it with jeans and a tshirt
I had a buddy that used to wear a Calatrava with jeans and a t-shirt and it never looked quite right to me. I think the only Patek that I could wear with jeans and like the look would be a Nautilus.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Submariner.

AP RO Jumbo

I'm not saying you're predictable, but given the love you've shown both of these on the thread, I have to say I saw it coming! Both make total sense, too (I like the idea of perpetual entertainment via display caseback too!)

When I was in grad school, I would have said a steel Daytona.

I'm no in grad school (I wish!), but I might be in agreement with your grad school self. That watch has got under my skin, thanks to this thread!

Although it might be possible to chose only one, I'm extremely happy that's no something I have to do.

Come on 3D, don't be a spoilsport. You don't have to, but you could just humour me.
lurker[1].gif

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cylon

Reaction score
I do agree with you. I usually prefer minimalism (the MUT Moon is a testament to that), but here I must defer to your 2006 version (not that its particularly cluttered either).

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying you're predictable, but given the love you've shown both of these on the thread, I have to say I saw it coming! Both make total sense, too (I like the idea of perpetual entertainment via display caseback too!)

Hi Mimo, thanks for presenting a very entertaining exercise. My answer is largely based on my ownership experiences. I have 3 dress watches on strap, but I don't wear them very often. I thought about the watches I wore the most (Daytona 5 years daily wearer, Sub 2 years daily, Explorer 2 for 8 years daily, Cartier Pasha 1 year daily), what I liked about them, their versatility, and how they have or do fit my lifestyle. I think the answer could easily change based on lifestyle. But at this point, as a do anything go anyplace watch the AP RO is just so easy to wear. Its appropriate for anything and the quality is top notch...so it was my final answer.

johanm

Reaction score

Yes, I get that. Personal preference thing - I never had a problem wearing my old 5119R or 3919J with a shirt and jeans, haha. Now I kind of think the more complicated 3940 fits the jeans/shirt look even better than the "classic Calatravas."

Agreed, there are lots of Pateks that would look great with t-shirt/jeans, provided that both are modern fitting and good quality. Personally would either go for one of the enamel dial / hobnail bezel Calatravas (as you suggested; to achieve a similar effect to a Tank or Santos, which are classic with casual clothes) or one of the larger/thicker chronos - 5270, 5970, 5070. Frankly I think the Nautilus works best to enhance the sportiness of a suit/tie or business casual ensemble and can look a little timid with casual attire (at least what I wear).

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How I feel about it right now? Id have to say a submariner ( 5513 or 1680)

Predictable answer? yes, but there's wisdom in crowds I suppose

Of all the watches I currently own, if I had to get rid of all but one the one would be my no date Sub. Not my favorite among the group but it would be the "one" if I had to pick.

NonServiam

Reaction score
Ah, the mythical one watch :cool: I've played that game a few times.

Of the watches I own: Daytona. Because it was a grail for so many years, and it is the watch I am leaving for my firstborn daughter. Timed her birth with it, and to be honest, it's a bit of a ladies' watch :laugh: Anyway, I love it, and I'm hoping that many many years from now when I'm old and full of years, my daughter will too.

If I were to buy a new watch to be the one, I'd choose a Sub. The new generation perhaps, to ensure the longest possible access to replacement parts? Or a 16610, just because it's such a classic.

The one should be a bit boring, that's how you know it's going to stay classic ;)

Cylon

Reaction score
fistbump.gif

I timed my wifes contractions on the watch I specifically bought to commemorate his birth--good thing I chose a chrono right?

Last edited:

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:fistbump:

I timed my wiefs contractions on the watch I specifically bought to commemorate his birth--good thing I chose a chrono right?

Yeah an old fashioned Breguet one handed suscripcion would not have worked well for that
:)

Last edited:

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Given my current lifestyle, work/weekends, preferences for aesthetics, workmanship, etc. I'd have to go with the 3940P too.However, if I lived a bit of a sportier lifestyle I suspect the 116520 will come in a very close second.

Ah, the mythical one watch :cool: I've played that game a few times.

Of the watches I own: Daytona. Because it was a grail for so many years, and it is the watch I am leaving for my firstborn daughter. Timed her birth with it, and to be honest, it's a bit of a ladies' watch :laugh: Anyway, I love it, and I'm hoping that many many years from now when I'm old and full of years, my daughter will too.

If I were to buy a new watch to be the one, I'd choose a Sub. The new generation perhaps, to ensure the longest possible access to replacement parts? Or a 16610, just because it's such a classic.

The one should be a bit boring, that's how you know it's going to stay classic ;)

That boring ladies' watch of a Daytona would be a strong contender for me as well. RO/Nautilus would also be on the list for the hypothetical "there-can-only-be-one" situation. The theme here seems to be steel, which makes a lot of sense if durability and versatility are important.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:fistbump:
I timed my wifes contractions on the watch I specifically bought to commemorate his birth--good thing I chose a chrono right?

brilliant!

lol that you bought it before the birth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads