The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flake

Flake Senior member

Of all the watches I currently own, if I had to get rid of all but one the one would be my no date Sub. Not my favorite among the group but it would be the "one" if I had to pick.

2. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Ah, the mythical one watch :cool: I've played that game a few times.

Of the watches I own: Daytona. Because it was a grail for so many years, and it is the watch I am leaving for my firstborn daughter. Timed her birth with it, and to be honest, it's a bit of a ladies' watch :laugh: Anyway, I love it, and I'm hoping that many many years from now when I'm old and full of years, my daughter will too.

If I were to buy a new watch to be the one, I'd choose a Sub. The new generation perhaps, to ensure the longest possible access to replacement parts? Or a 16610, just because it's such a classic.

The one should be a bit boring, that's how you know it's going to stay classic ;)

3. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

[​IMG]

I timed my wifes contractions on the watch I specifically bought to commemorate his birth--good thing I chose a chrono right?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  4. Flake

Flake Senior member

Yeah an old fashioned Breguet one handed suscripcion would not have worked well for that
    :)

5. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

That boring ladies' watch of a Daytona would be a strong contender for me as well. RO/Nautilus would also be on the list for the hypothetical "there-can-only-be-one" situation. The theme here seems to be steel, which makes a lot of sense if durability and versatility are important.

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

brilliant!

lol that you bought it before the birth.

7. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

An excellent "helping her to push" present.

8. no frills

no frills Senior member

Yeah, the hobnailed bezel of my 5119 and 3919 helped give it a bit of the push I needed to make me comfy wearing it with jeans.

As for the Nautilus, I'm perfectly comfy wearing it with a white undershirt, jeans, and no shoes. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. MGLL

MGLL Active Member

Some of you may remember a little while back I was considering my first 'proper' watch as a reward to myself for finishing my Masters and had the criteria of a ss utility/tool watch that would look good in a suit, as well as casually etc etc I was debating a submariner/SD, Speedy, etc although it was the IWC Ingenieur 322701 that I really had my eye on!

Well...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am absolutely delighted with it! I love the heft, exquisite finishing and sheer quality of the bracelet. I spent a considerable amount of time searching for the right one and finally located a mint condition example that was literally flawless :) It really looks stunning in person, a fact I was glad about as I took a bit of a risk purchasing this watch despite never having seen this exact model in the flesh!

Also in answer to another member asking if you could only own one watch, this would be my answer (although this is probably due to me being in the 'infatuation period'.)

[​IMG]

My friends who own a submariner (no date), speedy (the one that says first 'and only' watch worn on the moon) and Breitling avenger (seawolf) are all very jealous, and I must say, even if I had a choice, I would not consider swapping it for any of those [​IMG]

There is one problem though...

This is the start of something that I don't think I can control [​IMG]

10. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Agreed--IWC makes fantastic bracelets. I have one on my Aquatimer and would love one for my BI.

11. apropos

apropos Senior member

12. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

MGLL - looks fantastic!

13. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

This is the only watch I will be wearing today.
    [​IMG]

14. ant702

ant702 Senior member

Cool, looks interesting! I use to see this brand some years ago, but never bought any! I guess its time to take another look, thanks[​IMG]

15. ant702

ant702 Senior member

Nince! Looks good on your wrist! But before you buy your next watch, please read this thread in its whole entirety! Could save you some dissapointment down the road[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.