• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wasn't initially sure about its wearability.  However, red is versatile and its something you rarely see on fine watches.  We see silver, white, black and occasionally blue.  I think the Rouge is a great watch.  I haven't seen it in person, however a friend that was at SIHH thought it was one of the best JLCs he has seen in years. 

There were Rolexes from the 80s/90s with red sunburst dials which were clear enameled metal, I am not sure if they were Rolex-issued or a 3rd party option though.

Speaking of which, anyone else remember how the big Swiss ADs in the 80s/early 90s (their names escape me) used to stock 3rd party replacement dials in exotic materials?

After purchasing a Rolex Datejust, you would be offered the option of perusing a selection of dials, and if you said yes literally a panoply of dials made from malachite, jasper, agate, onyx, etc, would be brought out spread on a velvet tray. My dad has a very old Datejust with a blue jasper dial with diamond hour markers.

These dials were NOT Rolex-made, rather after-market addons sold by these big ADs with Rolex adopting a Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy for them. They would service Rolexes sporting such 3rd party dials no questions asked, which is almost unbelievable given their draconian servicing policies today.

Ah, the 5015...definitely a stunning piece.  Also interesting because it had a porcelain dial.  My Dad had one in yg back around1995/96.  Back in the days of huge discounts...MSRP was $19,995 and brand new from the AD it was out the door for $13,000.  Today they sell for about$20-22K in yellow, rose, or wg.  I haven't seen a PT one on the market in a while.  This model had a short run and was replaced by the 5054, which had a much longer production span.  Great watch.

Yep, this PP was purchased in a simpler time, a time when horology was not yet (relatively speaking) a mainstream pastime, a time when IWC made serious watches for serious men instead of mostly toys for big boys, a time when Hublot was Who-blot.

IMO the 5054 IMO messed up the balance of the 5015, with its oversized moonphase to accommodate the date indicator, and the complete lack of numerals from 3 to 9 o'clock. That said, I acknowledge the 5015's design is a bit of an acquired taste with its hobnail bezel, asymmetric dial, old-fashioned screwed-lug design, and all that jazz.

Finally, I am not sure the 5015 dial is porcelain, I've always thought it was vitreous enamel. Patek has a bad habit of describing white enamel dials as "porcelain white" dials, which I think has led to a lot of confusion on the ground.

For all those out there who are wondering what the difference is, porcelain is a ceramic which is fired at higher temperatures than vitreous enamel, which is essentially glass on a metal base. Porcelain is much harder to work with than enamel, and so is rare as the proverbial on watches. In contrast to hot/fired/vitreous enamel there is also "cold" enamel, which is just epoxy resin - the vast majority of enamel dialed watches on the market are cold enamel.

Last edited:

atticus87

Reaction score
Does anyone know which watch Charlie Sheen wears in Anger Management? Here are the best two pics I could find:

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/pho...nagement-charlie-sheen-31636054-2560-1707.jpg
http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/Anger-Management-17-Charlie-Sheen.jpg

Seems like a 38-40mm chrono on a gray croc strap. I know Charlie Sheen wears PP, this might easily be one.

Here's a link to some articles regarding Charlie Sheen and his PP watches.
Link: http://www.patekwatch.blogspot.sg/search/label/Charlie Sheen

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Visited the Marina Bay Sands JLC boo-teek yesterday.
I was really only there to check out one watch - the TTR 1931 Rouge model, which is a JLC boutique-only model.
And how much "price consideration" was JLC Singapore willing to offer? All of 0%. Yes - zero, zilch, nada.
Um, no thanks. medtech_expat's words echoed in my head - "world's most amazing watch showroom"...

As someone of Chinese descent, I observe from my mainland cousins a certain attraction in buying from a brand boutique where it's generally acknowledged that no discounts are given. Although I'm not an economist, I believe this is referred to as the point where price elasticity goes "****-up"...

The Rouge is an exceptionally pretty piece, and oddly enough in the metal it appears more wearable than in pics. As someone who's never really cared for how Reversos sit on my wrist (including GT & XGT cases), the dimensions of the ultra thin are a bang-on fit. I tried on the 1931 tribute in white gold in London last weekend, and it's now broken into my "list." Although I'd prefer twin battons instead of the arabic "12," I think this would look tremendous with a navy strap.

Cylon

Reaction score
I think this would look tremendous with a navy strap.

lurker[1].gif

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO the 5054 IMO messed up the balance of the 5015, with its oversized moonphase to accommodate the date indicator, and the complete lack of numerals from 3 to 9 o'clock. That said, I acknowledge the 5015's design is a bit of an acquired taste with its hobnail bezel, asymmetric dial, old-fashioned screwed-lug design, and all that jazz.

Finally, I am not sure the 5015 dial is porcelain, I've always thought it was vitreous enamel. Patek has a bad habit of describing white enamel dials as "porcelain white" dials, which I think has led to a lot of confusion on the ground.

For all those out there who are wondering what the difference is, porcelain is a ceramic which is fired at higher temperatures than vitreous enamel, which is essentially glass on a metal base. Porcelain is much harder to work with than enamel, and so is rare as the proverbial on watches. In contrast to hot/fired/vitreous enamel there is also "cold" enamel, which is just epoxy resin - the vast majority of enamel dialed watches on the market are cold enamel.

I greatly prefer the 5015 to a 5054. Not sure that it's dial was not porcelain. Everything I ever read about it said it had a porcelain dial, not that it was porcelain white (as a color description). Still I guess its of little importance since its not in the family any more.

I agree while the 5015's very pronounced hobnail bezel may have been an acquired taste it, and it made it a bit more formal looking, however its dial was far more attractive than on the 5054. I thought the font used with its Arabic numbers toned it down and gave it a more whimsical look to go with the asymetric dial. I was also not a fan of the missing numbers from 3-9 around the dial of the 5054 and I thought the smooth bezel gave it a sort of generic look.

NonServiam

Reaction score

I don't know ...

Actually, I am contemplating a 42mm Panerai, as I sold my 111 a couple of years ago and looking to replace it with something smaller: I was thinking about the 337 Radiomir. The 1940 case is a bit of a bastard looks-wise, without the wire lugs and the onion crown that I assosiate with Radiomirs ...

I think the 337 wins this one, but on the wrist my verdict might be different :)

NonServiam

Reaction score

I think the 337 wins this one

The moment I wrote that, I found these pics, and I must admit the 512 it looks pretty good. Maybe even better than the 337.
I even find the fake patinaed "tritium" attractive :embar:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I think the faux patina can be alright if done very subtly.

I asked about the 512 as I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it.

On one hand, I think the 1940 case is a rather successful combo of the 30's Radiomir and the 50's Luminor. The slimness and reduced size looks like they'll make it easy to wear. And I like the crown and how it (at least in pics) looks flatter than the 399 one.

OTOH, I can see the argument for the wire lugs and onion crown if you're going Radiomir. And I'm wondering if the slimness actually makes the 512 too dainty for a PAM :confused:

As for reduced sizes on PAMs, I don't think it works with Luminors but I like the Radiomir 337 - though I think I might have preferred it as a base model.

Actually, I think a 42mm base Radiomir could be a perfect partner for a Luminor Marina. Brown dial and cream coloured luminova, please :D

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The moment I wrote that, I found these pics, and I must admit the 512 it looks pretty good. Maybe even better than the 337.
I even find the fake patinaed "tritium" attractive :embar:

would kop.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, Kaplan!

The colours in the photo look true-to-life on my monitor. The bezel insert has indeed faded to a purplish-blue colour, while the matte dial is a deep charcoal gray or near-black, regardless of lighting conditions. There might be a bit of blue sky reflected in the crystal, though.

I see that you're no anti-NATe-ite. That olive strap is indeed from Timefactors. The quality seems far better this time than the last batch I ordered, although you really can't complain for the cost. Still, the new ones seem to be impervious to fraying at the holes and ends. The hardware on them is top-notch, too.

Here's another photo that shows the insert and dial colour...

dsc8982001.jpg

I know this was posted a while back, but I am just catching up on reading some posts now. That is a great looking watch, and it looks good on that strap. Continue enjoying it.

-LR

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A friend of mine had one with an MOP dial for about a month. He found it too difficult to read the time and the subdials were practically invisible. He felt it lost a lot of its functionality with the MOP. Later on he purchased one with a regular dial. I love Daytonas. Below are a few quick pix of 2 of my Daytonas.
Good looking Daytona's Dino. I am still on the search for mine. -LR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads