• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
42mm

Radiomir-19405-380x570.jpeg

Panerai-PAM-512-Side-of-Case-620x435.jpg

Panerai-PAM-512-Radiomir-1940-SS-620x522.png

Thoughts?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think its beautiful.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RE: Vibram's lug soles. I love the rugged look to it, and so functional especially in the rain and snow; only thing is that I still wear through the outer sides of the heel anyway, given (a) the way I walk and (b) how much walking I do in NYC. The dress shoes get taps, which I replace every 3-6 months.

Hope the cleanup isn't too bad! Do you need to shovel? You can refuel every few hours with the apple strudel or chocolate chip cookies!
Hey Frills, +1 on Vibram lug soles. I have do the same thing with my dress shoes, taps on the out sides of the heals.

Clean up sucked. We were without power for roughly 2 days. Don't need a shovel around here...we need a snow blower. Even with a large snowblower for the driveway and it took 3+ hours to clear it. It was brutal. I earned the strudel and cookies this weekend.
Visited the Marina Bay Sands JLC boo-teek yesterday.

I was really only there to check out one watch - the TTR 1931 Rouge model, which is a JLC boutique-only model.

The dial is incredibly responsive to lighting, more so than any other watch I've come across. The red colour can and will vary from vivid crimson red, to carmine red, to clotted dark blood red depending on the ambient lighting.
I wasn't initially sure about its wearability. However, red is versatile and its something you rarely see on fine watches. We see silver, white, black and occasionally blue. I think the Rouge is a great watch. I haven't seen it in person, however a friend that was at SIHH thought it was one of the best JLCs he has seen in years.
Anyway, I felt like sharing some pictures of an old girl after I went through some old posts re: movement finishing...

(yes, I need a new camera badly)

OK, hobnail bezel, enamel dial, heat blued hands, retrograde power reserve, moonphase with day/night indicator, but what about the view from the rear?
pp-1_zps51f83db8.jpg

And another angle
pp-4_zps5c832e22.jpg

The cal. 240 family is coming on 40 years old now, and is the PP equivalent of a "workhorse movement"; their Toyota engine, if you will.
Ah, the 5015...definitely a stunning piece. Also interesting because it had a porcelain dial. My Dad had one in yg back around1995/96. Back in the days of huge discounts...MSRP was $19,995 and brand new from the AD it was out the door for $13,000. Today they sell for about$20-22K in yellow, rose, or wg. I haven't seen a PT one on the market in a while. This model had a short run and was replaced by the 5054, which had a much longer production span. Great watch.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does SF think about the AP diver?

I like it more than the Offshore Chronographs. The finish is exceptional. In my shopping for a steel sports watch, the only watch that had the same quality of finish as a Royal Oak was the Patek Nautilus. The RO and RO Offshore really have many intricate angles that are only noticed if you closely inspect it Even the facets of the bezel. Its not just 8 sides that are chopped off, they are angled and polished, and even then they are faceted again straight down to meet the case. Its far more intricate than most photos suggest. The down side to the Offshore models, as Johan mentioned, is that due to their height, the bezels can take a beating and get dinged or scratched in doorways unless you are very careful. However, there are carbon and ceramic editions that might reduced that type of issue (although if struck hard enough ceramic can crack). I like the Offshore Diver but I would prefer it on a bracelet to a rubber strap but thats just me. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:cheers:

if not for the 2 hands i may have thought it was an old constellation. the memovox is great, you gonna get one? :devil:

Not anytime soon, but who knows? :satisfied:

Yep, same watch that's at the forefront of the group shot I posted yesterday.

Other pics of the watch, from yesterday as well:

How big is your version? Also, how do the two buttons (?) work?

edit: wait, it's not that complicated, is it? Two crowns, a normal one and one to set the alarm time? Which leaves the question how the alarm is canceled.

Last edited:

Moloch38

Reaction score
Figured its switch things up a bit:
Marathon Govt. issue GSAR
Great workhorse watch; had the crystal and bezel replaced after last deployment.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

edit: wait, it's not that complicated, is it? Two crowns, a normal one and one to set the alarm time? Which leaves the question how the alarm is canceled.

:)

as i recall, the bold is correct. not sure how the alarm is cancelled though. i would imagine a pull/twist/push of the alarm crown or something.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

:)

as i recall, the bold is correct. not sure how the alarm is cancelled though. i would imagine a pull/twist/push of the alarm crown or something.

You can't cancel it; you just let the alarm wind down. Then it makes a sort of irritating rattle sound when you move your arm for a while.
Or you can reset the alarm time.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those interested, here you can hear the cricket:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Memovox: alarm is on when crown is pushed, off when crown is pulled

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hmmm, on my Compressor Memovox, I don't think you can turn off the alarm. I'm going to have to double check that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads