The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Well, the clothes might have gone downhill, but the Daytona's rocking...and you're working through all the major student food groups....[​IMG]

2. no frills

no frills Senior member

Oh, I also picked up a small bag of Hershey's Kisses. This is the real secret to six-pack abdominals! Heh heh.

Forgot to mention that the Daytona's 72 hour power reserve is holding true as far as I can tell. Quite convenient given my small rotation schedule with my other watches, but since it doesn't really have a date that needs to be set it's really not a big deal to have it stop.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

The Daytona can more than handle the blizzard, and being paired with boots. For me, it was a Royal Oak and jeans with an old pair of Prada boots with a vibram lug sole. It was nice getting out of the office early for the storm. However, I'm dreading the clean up.
    Yes, the116520 Daytonas really do have a 72 hour power reserve, provided you are not using the chronograph function...in which case I think it drops off to about 64-66 which is still far better than the powe reserve of th previous El Primero based movement.

Hershey's kisses are great...although I'm hoping to get those six pack abs using my wife's homemade apple strudel or chocolate chip cookies. I'll let you know how that goes!

4. ant702

ant702 Senior member

5. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

6. no frills

no frills Senior member

RE: Vibram's lug soles. I love the rugged look to it, and so functional especially in the rain and snow; only thing is that I still wear through the outer sides of the heel anyway, given (a) the way I walk and (b) how much walking I do in NYC. The dress shoes get taps, which I replace every 3-6 months.

Hope the cleanup isn't too bad! Do you need to shovel? You can refuel every few hours with the apple strudel or chocolate chip cookies!

7. no frills

no frills Senior member

8. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Senior member

What does SF think about the AP diver?

[​IMG]

9. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

I love the look. I hate the price tag. Other comparable quality divers for much less out there.

10. Laurens

Laurens Senior member

[​IMG]

11. elnegativo

elnegativo New Member

my first post and first mechanical watch.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

12. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Current rotation - more pics on mi tumblor but cannot be bothered to repost all here...

[​IMG]

13. ant702

ant702 Senior member

Damn it! I like it[​IMG] If you got the funds, get it[​IMG]

14. apropos

apropos Senior member

Visited the Marina Bay Sands JLC boo-teek yesterday.

I was really only there to check out one watch - the TTR 1931 Rouge model, which is a JLC boutique-only model.

When it first came out in early 2012 my initial reaction was somewhere between bleh and unimpressed, but over the last year or so I've developed... a little bit of an obsession with it.

I mean, look at it (not my photo):

[​IMG]

The dial is incredibly responsive to lighting, more so than any other watch I've come across. The red colour can and will vary from vivid crimson red, to carmine red, to clotted dark blood red depending on the ambient lighting, which (to use an overused WIS cliche) makes the watch "come alive" IMO. The colour is not a tinted metal colour like the old coloured Rolex dials from the 80s/90s, it's a solid opaque lacquer type finish, not unlike what you find on Japanese homeware. Beautiful watch.

The strap is terrible though - thin, hard, unimpressive croc that somehow manages to look like embossed calf. This is a watch that cries out for an unlined black cordovan strap, or a nicer croc strap in charcoal grey, not black.

Sadly, I will not be picking it up in Singapore though - the asking price is SGD$12,000 which is USD$9,900 or EUR7,400, i.e. more expensive in Singapore than in the US or Europe!! As a reference point, the European MSRP is EUR6,800. And how much "price consideration" was JLC Singapore willing to offer? All of 0%. Yes - zero, zilch, nada. The salesman helpfully informed me that an owner of a local boutique hotel had purchased 5 of the same watch sans discount, and that I could claim 5.5% detax on my departure from Singapore.

Um, no thanks. medtech_expat's words echoed in my head - "world's most amazing watch showroom"...

There is a lot of new money floating around Singapore now, and given the folk I see buying high end watches and driving high end cars (and what I am hearing from local Singaporeans) I suspect shonky money with origins in PRC public funds.

This excess of money is really being reflected in the "prestige" sector of the watch market - i.e. the higher to top tier brands. You can still get good deals (25+% off) on middle tier brands like Zenith or Omega, but it's getting a lot more difficult to play at the high rollers' table now, especially since apparently the new punters in this particular segment take pride in being able to show that they can afford these watches... without any discount.

I guess it's the inescapable outcome of an economic necessity: that of a small, resource-less country with big ambitions hitching its economic cart to the (currently red hot) PRC engine. :embar:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013

15. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

I own a 114270. The Explorer is a great watch with a storied history. The up-size of the new model is in line with what many companies are doing. That is, listening to the market and responding accordingly. Though some would say Rolex moves like a glacier. Other than the flaw of the hands being to short it seems to be a nice piece. Most people say that it's got a better bracelet. Small tweaks to the movement hopefully have improved reliability and ruggedness. Pictures of it displayed on top of Everest will say more than words. A lot of people like it. Even Breguet has marketed up-sized pieces in the last few years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.