• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cristofromkensington

Reaction score
Oh shoot! Don’t know how I missed. I went to the November (?) one (picked up the awesome winter stable jacket and some shirts) and was on the lookout for the spring/summer. Bummer!
The last one I went to I brought my cousin along to introduce him to Drake’s. He kept distracting me and nagging me, so I didn’t get anything good. Was gutted really! I hope there’s one soon too.

Mokwit

Reaction score
I think Drake's tailoring with those type of spare buttons were made by Belvest
hpreston, appreciate you weighing in and I am reluctant to argue about Drake's with a Drake's afficianando, but i don't think Belvest was the maker of that jacket - it seems it was Lardini from the label.

Belvest has a very distinct inside pocket button tab shape that they use(d) for everybody - Gieves and Hawkes , Hermes and the example below made for a retailer in a similar silk.

Here is a Drake's with the spare buttons and the factory spec label visible.

And here is Lardini own label with factory spec label visible.

Not sure who else it could be

drentco

Reaction score
I don't have those pants but I've run into similar discrepancies between garment measurements and the online size charts. It's a bummer! 18.75" waist is wild for a tagged 34.
Yeah...its beyond weird. Nonetheless, I went for a size in the single pleated pants with adjusters on the sides. We shall see if I chose the right size lol.

drentco

Reaction score
Yeah...its beyond weird. Nonetheless, I went for a size in the single pleated pants with adjusters on the sides. We shall see if I chose the right size lol.
YUP - their sizing is all sort of fucked. I am swimming in these pants. Definitely need to size down. I wish they invested a little more time in making their website accurate. Ordering is getting more and more painful, fortunately I've gotten a plethora of responses from support.

Treble

Reaction score
Thoughts on which of these options as a separate / odd jacket?

I find myself mostly wearing denim (ecru, one-wash, and faded) and chinos most of the time, rarely wear wool trousers. I will wear an OCBD and sometimes a tie for work.

This has led me to favour the more casual games blazer, but I do love the idea of the travel jacket having added versatility of working with wool trousers, and looks good with chinos https://www.drakes.com/editorial/the-travel-jacket/

jkt-93woof-21381-001_lr.jpg

dr2a2d-22010-01-250-1_lr.jpg

trg12

Reaction score
I own both of these jackets (well, the older 2021 unlined Hopsack Blazer and the Mk. II in Navy Ripstop).

They are both fantastic and versatile and both bridge use cases for me. For me personally (rather young, not in social circles where people wear tailoring casually), there are notable limits to their versatility. If worn a little oversized as intended, the Games jacket doesn’t feel like a tailored jacket (i.e., a little underdressed at times), but it can feel like a chore coat. FWIW, I often feel ‘too blue’ when wearing it with most of my blue denim. By contrast, the Hopsack jacket, while light and casual, always clearly feels like tailoring.

I find myself mostly wearing denim (ecru, one-wash, and faded) and chinos most of the time, rarely wear wool trousers. I will wear an OCBD and sometimes a tie for work.

This has led me to favour the more casual games blazer, but I do love the idea of the travel jacket having added versatility of working with wool trousers, and looks good with chinos https://www.drakes.com/editorial/the-travel-jacket/

[/QUOTE

wahnamhong

Reaction score

jkt-93woof-21381-001_lr.jpg

dr2a2d-22010-01-250-1_lr.jpg
If you want casual, why not go for a chore coat? Its brilliance is in being able to dress it both up and down.

I wear mostly denim too. I have the 2020 unlined hopsack double breasted blazer and it works so good in a casual style. But it really depends on your personal style. I’ve bought a navy linen single breasted blazer and I sometimes find it too boring on denim or chinos. A chore coat works better for me. But your mileage may vary.

Treble

Reaction score
I own both of these jackets (well, the older 2021 unlined Hopsack Blazer and the Mk. II in Navy Ripstop).

They are both fantastic and versatile and both bridge use cases for me. For me personally (rather young, not in social circles where people wear tailoring casually), there are notable limits to their versatility. If worn a little oversized as intended, the Games jacket doesn’t feel like a tailored jacket (i.e., a little underdressed at times), but it can feel like a chore coat. FWIW, I often feel ‘too blue’ when wearing it with most of my blue denim. By contrast, the Hopsack jacket, while light and casual, always clearly feels like tailoring.

Thanks. Do you think the hopsack works with denim better than the MK2 ? I suppose this one is slightly more like tailoring that the ripstop version. I would wear with a loafer I expect.

If you want casual, why not go for a chore coat? Its brilliance is in being able to dress it both up and down.

I wear mostly denim too. I have the 2020 unlined hopsack double breasted blazer and it works so good in a casual style. But it really depends on your personal style. I’ve bought a navy linen single breasted blazer and I sometimes find it too boring on denim or chinos. A chore coat works better for me. But your mileage may vary.

Thanks. I have the Navy canvas chore which will probably get a lot of wear and does strike me as being a bit close to the MK2 in style... but there are definitely occasions when a lapel feels needed.

Kind of think that both Mk2 and travel jacket would suit for work, but the travel jacket would look a bit contrived / smart outside of that setting.

trg12

Reaction score
Thanks. Do you think the hopsack works with denim better than the MK2 ? I suppose this one is slightly more like tailoring that the ripstop version.

Sometimes I feel like it does as they kind of openly belong to different genres and the cotton/wool contrast helps. But then the denim/blue blazer combination is abused so often with all kinds of unflattering fits, garments, and combinations that I rather avoid it.

Yes, the heavier fabric may change the feel. I’d consider to add the games trousers. I’m sad that I can’t buy the trousers anymore as the games suit can be really great as demonstrated by some members on here.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That hopsack is more appropriate if you want to dress up - the cotton thing is more directional. Wool is also a superior travel fabric than wool. That hopsack looks to be a shade lighter than a true navy, which is a somewhat casualizing quirk.

I have a similarly colored coat from NMWA back from the Sartoria Cantarelli days that I have worn all over the place - typically with tailored linen trousers in lighter tones. I think of that lighter than navy color as more of a spring through fall color. I am not a big jeans with navy-ish coats guys - I actually have another Cantarelli in brick with a navy overcheck that I'd be much more likely to wear with jeans in a pinch

wahnamhong

Reaction score

Was just browsing permanentstyle and that first style in the article (linked below), is exactly how I wear the aforementioned double breasted blazer. Including the denim and loafers (RRL, Baudoin & Lange). This is actually a copy of a Drake’s look circa 2019 which I had seen.

All the reader profiles are great for inspiration.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads