• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vida

Reaction score
Did anyone else think the overshirts were just too boxy in the fit? Had they been a bit slimmer, they would have been ideal IMO.
Yes, they look boxy to me, also. I think a lot of Drake’s offerings look that way unless styled to be fitted. Not necessarily traditionally cut, just full to fit every man.

radfad20000`

Reaction score
How does drake have a mid century7high rise with such a low front rise? Anyone have any back rise measurements, im guessing that some of the trousers have a 17-17.5 inch back rise with a 11-11.2 front rise for a 32.

catchh

Reaction score
I used to really like Drake’s, but all these sales and now this archive sale has really cheapened the brand.

It reminds me of cheap stores in malls constantly having huge signs in their front windows saying SALE 50% off everything and never taking them down.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to really like Drake’s, but all these sales and now this archive sale has really cheapened the brand.

It reminds me of cheap stores in malls constantly having huge signs in their front windows saying SALE 50% off everything and never taking them down.
I think every retailer is hurting during the pandemic and maybe forced to take measures they would have normally avoided?

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Drake's just can't seem to catch a break. Some people don't like that their prices keep going up, others don't like that they do markdowns.

CorozoButton

Reaction score
I think every retailer is hurting during the pandemic and maybe forced to take measures they would have normally avoided?
Couldn't agree more with this. I understand that in SF circles, Drake's are a huge brand, but maybe some people would be surprised at just how few employees there are in the company.

Yes, they have to keep in mind that decisions regarding sales can alter brand perception, but they also have loyal staff members who they want to avoid firing/furloughing if possible. Not to mention suppliers that also rightly deserve to be paid, and maybe bringing in some cashflow by selling goods at near cost was the only way to do so.

Judging smaller brands for having sales in a global crisis isn't the way.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drake's just can't seem to catch a break. Some people don't like that their prices keep going up, others don't like that they do markdowns.
I prefer to be simultaneously grumpy and satisfied with them at most levels. Like a sparky marriage.

Last edited:

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score

smh pretty much, just have enjoy the products and the price, I can't ever be mad getting a drakes product on sale. As long as the quality, cut, etc stays good, no problems with me

subdivide

Reaction score

Awwwww...

Should they drink wine and brandy? Or get a job putting stripes on candy? Or put a hole in donuts? Because when you make this uninspired comparison, your middle name is "so what?"

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score

I think there is middle ground: more reasonable prices and smaller sales--you know, like what Drake's used to do (and what many other stores do--NMWA is a good example). Perhaps the other model is better for business, but it is not better for creating a dedicated fan-base. When I see an $800 coat selling for $200 or a $300 shirt selling for $100, I become very skeptical that product prices were ever remotely reasonable.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think there is middle ground: more reasonable prices and smaller sales--you know, like what Drake's used to do (and what many other stores do--NMWA is a good example). Perhaps the other model is better for business, but it is not better for creating a dedicated fan-base. When I see an $800 coat selling for $200 or a $300 shirt selling for $100, I become very skeptical that product prices were ever remotely reasonable.

Don't think this has ever been the case. I wrote my first article about Drake's in 2011. It was for StyleForum's newly formed "editorial" section. The story was an interview with Michael Hill. This was before Michael bought the company and before Drake's had a clothing line.

Among the very first comments was a complaint about Drake's prices.

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 2.42.01 PM.png

It was a theme that would be repeated endlessly in that thread.

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 2.42.43 PM.png

The next few pages were just tons and tons of arguing about Drake's prices and whether the designs are "in good taste." Basically, a theme that has continued in this thread for the last few years.

I think is partly a function of who's more likely to find Drake's appealing. The designs have always been slightly whismical, but classic. They appeal to younger guys and guys who are just getting into classic clothing. The prices have also always been luxury tier.

Most people back then bought Drake's stuff on sale. StyleForum guys are rarely the type to buy Drake's stuff at full price, or anything at full price, because they're savvy discount shoppers. Back then, Drake's stuff went on sale twice a season -- mid-season and end-of-season -- like almost all brands. That's still the case today. They hold two sales per season, and added this factory store sale because they're moving factories. Whether that move is related to the 'rona, I don't know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads