• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Rug and Carpet Thread

emptym

Reaction score
@Idesofmarch17, I've gotten rugs from these three with no problems:

ocooney

Reaction score
It's very difficult to determine age without close inspection by an expert. I've seen many vintage Navajo rugs but have never seen this mix of patterns or colors. It does have the "lazy lines" in the weave which are an indication of the authentic Navajo weaving technique. If this is roughly 30" or so, this might be a saddle blanket woven for special occasions due to the bright colors (rugs from the 1920's and later tend to have borders). If it iss larger, it might be an early blanket. Early weavings were blankets (late 1800's) and had no borders.To estimate value and age, it would require closer, detailed photos of the weave and condition of the edges, then a flat shot showing how it lays and a list of its dimensions.
Thanks. It’s about 56x50. If you have any recommendations for a source to appraise, I would appreciate any recommendations. There are another 2 much smaller and plainer pieces as well.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks. It’s about 56x50. If you have any recommendations for a source to appraise, I would appreciate any recommendations. There are another 2 much smaller and plainer pieces as well.

There are many dealers and galleries that will give you an appraisal but if they are also buying or consigning for resale there is a conflict of interest. Although I've never used him you might try this guy as he only does appraisals.https://navajorugrepair.com/appraisal.htm

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's gorgeous, Gomey.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
have some pics from one of the wifey's work sites where they took delivery of some rugs from the place we get our stuff, Heirloom in Brooklyn

just have to upload images from phone, don't want to figure out posting options while on a work call so it's a second post...

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Hey! That's from my phone, on there they are normal.

One pic is from the ladder. It was there so I had to climb it. I even asked permission, which meant I was serious. So then I climbed it.

Yes, it was the tallest ladder I have ever been on.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We have decorated our Santa Fe, New Mexico home in neutral colors so I have begun to look for vintage Navajo weavings (rugs, saddle blankets and robes) in neutrals that use the natural wool color and no dyes. I found locally this 1930's- 40's Navajo pictoral weaving of a teepee. The lines above it represent rain (a very positive symbol here in the desert Southwest). Its approx 25" x 45" and fits perfectly on the wall of my study.

IMG_4885.jpeg

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami