• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Rug and Carpet Thread

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been collecting vintage Navajo rugs for a year and a half. Most are late 1800's-early 1920's or so. This one I picked up in an auction and came by way of the Denver Art Museum. Yes, it is very well worn, but I like the colors and pattern. It's also very big so I'm planning to hang it on a large wall with spot lights. This is currently out being washed and having the hole rewoven with vintage yarns.

62910158_1_x.jpg

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Love that rug emptym. Great choice for a young girls room.

emptym

Reaction score
Thanks guys. She does love it. It's from Iran.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know nothing about rugs, but I just bought this one for $700 while on vacation. I am sure that it is not worth what this guy on Madison Avenue is asking for it, but it suits our home, is only ten years younger, and I like Deco patterns.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We found this 9x12 Persian at a consignment store. There's a rug shop here owned by a middle eastern family and the father is an encyclopedia of rugs who makes regular trips over there. Really interesting guy to talk to if you're into rugs. Anyway, he said this is about 50 years old and appraised it at $4,500. I believe he called it at "Balouchi" Persian but I'm not positive.
IMG_1297.jpg

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buying some rugs while I'm in Afghanistan. Here are a couple that made it to my gf's house:

This is 80% wool 20% silk, allegedly made by Kochiyan (nomads) in Herat (and not by Chinese walmart)rug 2 turkmen mazar e shariff.jpg

This is 100% wool, made by Turkmen in Mazar e Sharif. Very traditional Afghan style.

I just bought another one, predates the Russian invasion back when the skilled weavers were still in the country. Ill post pics when it arrives to the states. I do enjoy bartering at the bazaars here.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rug 3 made in 1978 by Kochiyan in Herat.jpg

Here is the above mentioned pre Russian invasion Afghan rug. I think it's my favorite.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.