• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate Rug and Carpet Thread

emptym

Reaction score
@Idesofmarch17, I've gotten rugs from these three with no problems:

ocooney

Reaction score
It's very difficult to determine age without close inspection by an expert. I've seen many vintage Navajo rugs but have never seen this mix of patterns or colors. It does have the "lazy lines" in the weave which are an indication of the authentic Navajo weaving technique. If this is roughly 30" or so, this might be a saddle blanket woven for special occasions due to the bright colors (rugs from the 1920's and later tend to have borders). If it iss larger, it might be an early blanket. Early weavings were blankets (late 1800's) and had no borders.To estimate value and age, it would require closer, detailed photos of the weave and condition of the edges, then a flat shot showing how it lays and a list of its dimensions.
Thanks. It’s about 56x50. If you have any recommendations for a source to appraise, I would appreciate any recommendations. There are another 2 much smaller and plainer pieces as well.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. It’s about 56x50. If you have any recommendations for a source to appraise, I would appreciate any recommendations. There are another 2 much smaller and plainer pieces as well.

There are many dealers and galleries that will give you an appraisal but if they are also buying or consigning for resale there is a conflict of interest. Although I've never used him you might try this guy as he only does appraisals.https://navajorugrepair.com/appraisal.htm

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
87CB3D89-1B2A-47F0-93ED-DB153957D49B.jpeg

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
have some pics from one of the wifey's work sites where they took delivery of some rugs from the place we get our stuff, Heirloom in Brooklyn

just have to upload images from phone, don't want to figure out posting options while on a work call so it's a second post...

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Hey! That's from my phone, on there they are normal.

One pic is from the ladder. It was there so I had to climb it. I even asked permission, which meant I was serious. So then I climbed it.

Yes, it was the tallest ladder I have ever been on.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have decorated our Santa Fe, New Mexico home in neutral colors so I have begun to look for vintage Navajo weavings (rugs, saddle blankets and robes) in neutrals that use the natural wool color and no dyes. I found locally this 1930's- 40's Navajo pictoral weaving of a teepee. The lines above it represent rain (a very positive symbol here in the desert Southwest). Its approx 25" x 45" and fits perfectly on the wall of my study.

IMG_4885.jpeg

brokencycle

Reaction score
I have a Flokati rug with a 6" pile under a lounge chair (example pic below) that sits in the dormer nook, but I'm struggling to find a rug to go under my desk in the same room. I really like the shag pile, and something seems off about using a flatter weave or even something like a high pile Beni Ourain.

Any thoughts on what I could use to coordinate with?

1607097536200.png

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on what I could use to coordinate with?

My preference when mixing a second rug with a high pile rug is to provide contrast and use a low pile or flat weave. If it's going under your desk, a flat weave is probably a better option for your chair. As for colors and patterns, I think you can go in a bunch of different directions, because a flokati is color and pattern neutral. I probably wouldn't pair it with anything too traditional, but something either modern/contemporary or tribal should work. I like the idea of the other rug having some cream/off-white, but not as the primary color. You can go bold without worrying about clashing or stick with more subtle and let the textures provide contrast.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Had to get rid of my old wool bedroom rug (too much moth damage and risk in my ongoing fight against moths). Was missing having something besides a bare floor, but our lease is up in July and I didn't really want to buy an expensive rug without knowing what we would want in our next place.

I found this one at Target last week and quite liked it:
2021-01-25 12.05.57.jpg

It is not the nicest rug, but it was $99 and the moths aren't going to be able to live off its synthetic fibers.

Not yet 100% sold on my new linen duvet cover though...its a shade or too darker than I wanted and seems to be noticeably wider than my old one so it hangs kind of funny.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Where is the linen duvet cover from?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads