• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The StyleForum Runway & High Fashion Thread

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah that's a good point, I always think of Raf in terms of his men's stuff but you're right, he was pretty successful at women's, so I'm probably being too hard on him. It is going to be a big leap to go from the minimalist/futurist stuff of Jil, which wasn't far removed from what he was doing with his own line, to the glamour, excess, and sex of Dior, which is totally at the other end of the spectrum. But, that said, it was a pretty big leap to go from men's to women's, so I dunno.

Does anyone on this forum actually own kva's Dior stuff? I'd probably wear some of it, too, but I sure as hell wouldn't pay $4000 for it. I just think he was a weird ******* choice for that job and can't imagine who's actually buying it.
snowman, he kop'd the KVA I SAW IT edit: oh... nvm

Last edited:

Urthwhyte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be fair, most high end designer leather pants anything is very expensive.

T,FTFY. Faust made a good post about the challenges he will face at Dior, mostly with the very different styles, but to criticize his womenswear at Jil is to show a lack of knowledge KJ. It was pretty much universally loved and this season was spot on, even if menswear was pretty bad.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think Dior management are just ******* morons.  They've lost Galliano & Slimane and hired two (only recently, in Raf's case) pretty pathetic designers.

SHOTS FIRED!!!

also i own those dior homme transformer sandals (kva era)
ive got a few things on my list that id love to own :D but yeah...very costly

favourite look from ss12

i was honestly thinking of asking ivwri's tailor to make a copy :eek:

Last edited:

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
T,FTFY. Faust made a good post about the challenges he will face at Dior, mostly with the very different styles, but to criticize his womenswear at Jil is to show a lack of knowledge KJ. It was pretty much universally loved and this season was spot on, even if menswear was pretty bad.

Yeah, I just said that. I'm also a little annoyed about the whole thing because I was hoping he'd take a year off and get back on his feet with his menswear, haha. I just want some baller sneakers (3).

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: Raf -- when the rumors started floating I wondered why the hell Dior would go with Raf, whose best days seemed to be behind him. Then I remembered that menswear at most big fashion houses is a secondary concern (or tertiary, or whatever word you use to denote something that's like number 15 on a big list of concerns, behind bags and shoes and dresses and makeup etc etc). The real $$$ are in womenswear, and like urthwhyte said, Raf's womenswear for Jil was extremely successful. Everyone loved it. I realized I was looking at it from entirely the wrong perspective, the perspective of what I, as a guy, want to see. I am curious to see how Raf adapts to the Dior aesthetic, but I think he was a good choice in the end and I suspect he'll do well.

Also, just out of curiosity, if not KVA designing DH, who would you guys want to see? (Obviously Hedi is out of the running here.) Taralis or someone like that? A big name like Stefano Pilati (who I suspect isn't the sort of designer the SW&D contingent would get excited about)? Italo Zucchelli? Dior Homme foam jackets! Throw some names out.

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, just out of curiosity, if not KVA designing DH, who would you guys want to see? (Obviously Hedi is out of the running here.) Taralis or someone like that? A big name like Stefano Pilati (who I suspect isn't the sort of designer the SW&D contingent would get excited about)? Italo Zucchelli? Dior Homme foam jackets! Throw some names out.

Michael Bastian

Last edited:

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Am I allowed to say that i don't give a **** about Dior, Raf, KVA or Hedi? or where they're going?

Yeah but then isn't this the wrong thread for you?

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Quote:

Not really.

hedi works for dior works for kva works for kva works for ysl works for jil works for.......****.
I don't believe that creativity needs to be such a pyramid and so incestuous.

actually maybe you're right. I don't really get the big fashion houses I guess.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i know im a kva fanboy but i think hes done an amazing job at dior HOMME. the label did not exist before hedi and his job was to come in and to recreate the vision. i can understand that people dont like change, its like when an actor is replaced in the third movie of a trilogy or something. however, i never "watched"(followed) the original "movies"(collections) that closely so maybe im bias.
i did like a lot of the old dh footwear but kris is doing a pretty good job there.

KJ, i know you like your hedi era dh and perhaps thats why you're very into (n)nine. i think it was magician who said he prefers the rock/sex glam of n nine over dh

Last edited:

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, n(n) was very derivative of older DH in a lot of ways. I kinda got into Ann recently (though I can't afford it
frown.gif
) because it's a lot of the same vibes without looking dated. I don't actually own any Hedi era dior, by the way. But yeah, I probably wouldn't dislike some of the more current DH seasons if it wasn't Dior Homme releasing them.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
KJ everything you've been saying today has been
puzzled.gif

What do you mean? If you're referring to the n(n) comment, Noir is basically a remix of Luster, n(n) s/s '07 is like a Westernized version of DH s/s '05... there's a few more, and there isn't anything wrong with that. If you mean the Ann comparison, I can't really back that up as well they just evoke similar things for me.

Last edited:

Urthwhyte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

No. There are many other designers he can be interested in and hate the big houses still. Think of all the girls you know who are the opposite of that.

i know im a kva fanboy but i think hes done an amazing job at dior HOMME. the label did not exist before hedi and his job was to come in and to recreate the vision. i can understand that people dont like change, its like when an actor is replaced in the third movie of a trilogy or something. however, i never "watched"(followed) the original "movies"(collections) that closely so maybe im bias.
i did like a lot of the old dh footwear but kris is doing a pretty good job there.
KJ, i know you like your hedi era dh and perhaps thats why you're very into (n)nine. i think it was magician who said he prefers the rock/sex glam of n nine over dh

I was always surprised KJ loves Hedi-era DH so much because I just don't see him fitting into it. I imagine him in one of those suits I just see the sleeves ripping and the buttons shooting off the jacket machine gun style. All the shows were wicked tall, wicked skinny guys and that's the image I always see

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 105 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads