1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The StyleForum Runway & High Fashion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by KingJulien, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Well-Known Member

2. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

^That's pretty interesting. Fashion has certainly blown up. Makes me wonder if, had I been born twenty years earlier, before there was so much hype around clothes, i would have been interested at all. In part it's the hype that makes fashion into entertainment rather than just clothes, if that makes any sense. On a related note, the piece shows how New York has changed too. Odd to think Barney's used to be on 7th and 17th st., where Loehmann's is now.

3. KingJulien

KingJulien Well-Known Member

I don't think fashion is any more popular now than it was in the past, just expensive (designer) fashion. Most people who have been into clothing for a long time were into thrift/vintage stuff at that time.

4. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Well-Known Member

Dude, it's way more popular. Look at the hype around Target collaborations domestically, the prominence/prevalence of H&M / Topshop / Zara GLOBALLY, the popularity of project runway and all of that stuff

1 person likes this.
  5. Urthwhyte

Yea, I can't agree with KingJulien's claim at all. Just look at how much more attention is devoted to menswear now then there was even ten years ago, or the very existence of #menswear. Hell, MFA is a good example - reddit, the site that started in the world capital in terms of PhDs per square km now houses one of the largest fashion communities on the internet.

2 people like this.
  6. KingJulien

This is all anecdotal stuff though, there was no internet in 1985 so it's hardly comparable. I'm not saying you guys are wrong btw. I tried to look up the global apparel market size vs overall market size from like 30 years ago vs today but i had mcdonalds for lunch for the first time in like 6 months and feel like i'm dying so apparently this is too much for me. Somebody else do it? I'm curious.

7. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

I'd argue that the Internet is a big part of what made fashion explode in the last ten years. Hedi Slimane made a similar point in this interview (and I know you can't argue with Hedi!)

How do you think technology has influenced fashion? What are the pros and cons?
    Fashion was reluctant at first to embrace the Internet, and it’s still not totally a natural marriage. With that said, blogs and social networking have considerably enhanced the power of fashion and changed its purpose. Fashion became entertainment, just like Hollywood is entertainment. Fashion is finally a global consideration and, of course, a global fashion business at last.
    http://www.prestigehongkong.com/fashion/fashion47.html

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  8. KingJulien

A more thorough response: I totally agree that fashion has changed (obviously), and think it's quite likely that designer fashion is more popular, and the internet has really changed the landscape. The celebrity thing is interesting. However, in the 80's you had David Bowie, Gaultier dressing Madonna, etc; a decade earlier you had Led Zeppelin, even KISS strongly influencing fashion; a decade before that you had the huge fashion explosion that was the '60's. I'm not saying it's not the case, just that I'm not convinced that there are more people into 'clothes' now than in previous years.

Keep in mind that article was about NYC which has gotten significantly more upscale in the past few decades.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  9. KingJulien

Also how the fuck do people eat fast food [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. Urthwhyte

Gotta have that stomach of steel. I can eat it on occasion but can't imagine regularly. Unless Chipotle counts?

As for more people being interested, I definitely feel more people in general are, but I imagine finding some sort of quantitative study on that is going to be difficult to turn up. I suppose increase in purchasing in China could have brought up the numbers a ton alone

11. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

huffington post is garbage that's my contribution :foo:

2 people like this.
  12. sipang

sipang Well-Known Member

You're a FAKE

1 person likes this.
  13. KingJulien

Does anyone have pics of dudes wearing Ann styled well? It's like, impossible to find any on the internet. Aside from this, and some I posted early on in this thread.

14. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  15. Urthwhyte

16. steveoffice

steveoffice Well-Known Member

i come to check out this thread and one of the first posts i see is this.

goodbye you snobs :plain:

17. Urthwhyte

^ it's funny because KingJulien is probably the one person in this thread who has spent the least on designer clothing and is just interested in the subject

18. steveoffice

steveoffice Well-Known Member

i think julien has some pretty cool designer pieces, and its cool that he is into high fashion.

but i will defend my greasy fastfood no matter how many michelin starred meals i've eaten :slapfight:

19. sipang

sipang Well-Known Member

less food more fashion

20. KingJulien

Haha, well I don't eat out, ever, but I decided to have a quarter pounder with cheese from McDonalds for lunch for some reason and was confined to the bathroom floor for about two hours afterwards [​IMG].