• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What is this pattern called? Gun check? Does remind me of prince of Wales check too, not sure how it differs though.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

MrSmith

Reaction score
From this week's challenge. Normally I stick with the brown/tan/blue tweed until December, but I thought this looked better with the scarf.

J

Looks good, IMHO if you had a brighter tie you wouldn't need the scarf

Last edited:

MrSmith

Reaction score
Quote:Originally Posted by Kai

Cross post from WAYWRN

Fall weather here:

A lovely herringbone. Kai, tell me when you're away on holiday, based on what i've seen so far I think i'm going to come over and steal your entire wardrobe.

Last edited:

J011yroger

Reaction score

Looks good, IMHO if you had a brighter tie you wouldn't need the scarf

Thanks, and yea I was thinking of a blue/white stripe shirt with a thick burgundy tie would go nicely as well. Looks a little flat with a solid navy tie.

Were you thinking something brighter?

Wish I had more occasion to wear it. Guess I was just born in the wrong era.

J

MrSmith

Reaction score
I have adopted the attitude of "make it an occasion" and now it's any excuse to wear something frm the MrSmith stable. On the plus side, people notice you as dapper,groomed and mildly eccentric. On the minus side, people notice you as dapper,groomed and mildly eccentric. There's been at least one wedding i've been to where i've heard muttering about "who wears tweed to a wedding?" while surrounded by a multitude of men in badly fitting shapeless cheap polyester suits. It's an (enjoyable) uphill struggle bringing light to the darkness.

i'm going to get some decent pics from a proper camera (not my crappy cameraphone) to showcase some MrSmiths. I've had some lovely commissions recently that deserve showing off to my fellow Tweedistas.

OlSarge

Reaction score
anuptowndandy.com this day introduces us to the Edinburgh shop of Walker Slater, "for all things tweed" they say. It isn't quite true. They do not seem to carry any shooting jackets, for example. But where else can a tweedy gent go to acquire tweed bow ties?

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last year I stumbled upon Walker Slater during a walk in Edinburgh. Sadly I didn't have the time to truely look around the store as I would have liked to but I would say that if you are in the area it's worth a moment. Not overly far from the shop where a few niftly looking thrift stores that i wish we had managed to look at also. Great area of town and well worth a few days.

OlSarge

Reaction score
I would hate to be the one to break the bad news to Maude and Fox but those are called 'anoraks' and were invented thousands of years ago in the Far North. Tweed is okay for the purpose but caribou skin is better . . . though perhaps a bit much in an urban setting!
rotflmao.gif

ravn

Reaction score
Anoraks, my first thought would be 'cross country skiing', at least were I come from. Woulden't think of using them in the city.
But then again, it might be the next fashion. :)

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Either way, their iteration doesn't look very inspiring; A black zipper?
Should be bone and loops, or at least quality buttons.
The lining should be either merino or moleskin.

motosacto

Reaction score
Vexing Conundrum

See Exhibit A.

Harris Tweed Jacket in Blue/Grey that needs a good iron, a present from ebay.

It fits well, I like the roping, colour, weight, rear vents, sleeve length, even the gorge is nice and straight for once.

but the lapels.

UGH!!! those lapels!!!

What's a Chap to do?

do I

A) wear and be damned (and feel unconfortable as I think it's so fuddy duddy looking)
B) add another button and get the iron out, to make the lapels smaller and higher (but still a bit old fashioned)
C) get the lapels adjusted by a tailor - if it can be done.

*CAN* it be done?

My vote -- wear it and be damned. It's a tweed jacket, man -- it's supposed to carry a fuddy-duddy vibe. Own the vibe and enjoy it...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads