• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

Gbg brouge

Reaction score
It looks to me like they've updated their site, something they've needed to do for a while, and it looks good! I suspect that you just caught them between servers when you tried to log on. It works now.

Sorry, guys, got a bit worked up there.
shog[1].gif

Gbg brouge

Reaction score
If you got burned by Bookster (as did I) who can blame you? FWIW, I bought a jacket from Mears a little while ago and I was satisfied with the jacket and their service.

I was about to order when I discovered that they were not shipping anything at all so that was in the nick of time. I had mail conversation with Lynne Mears and she promised to send me some swatches but they never arrived. I've sent her a reminder to see if she can sent it before Christmas.
I've been looking att Tweed Addict also but I would like to see what Mears have to offer first and if you had a good experience that only strengthens my decision.
Very nice jacket you got there!

mactire

Reaction score
Mears looks pretty sweet.

But tell me - does anyone actually go hunting in a 3 piece suit? Here in the US if you dressed like that, folks may start shooting at you.

How narrow-minded of them.

Here's a few geezers wearing tweed out:

http://www.cowanssporting.co.uk/articles/dressing-the-part.html
http://www.positiveshooting.com/EquipmentandClothesGameMain.html

In my own experience soing bits of hiking and long walks or whatever I find wool to be far superior compared to technical fibres so I wouldn't be surprised if people do it. Mind you in the UK you have to pay for a days shooting so part of it is probably a dressing up for the day and all that.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polo Ralph Lauren tweed jacket and Fairisle sweater vest, Brooks Brothers OCBD, Hardy Amies wool tie, and Thomas Pink pocket square.....

OlSarge

Reaction score
Mears looks pretty sweet.

But tell me - does anyone actually go hunting in a 3 piece suit? Here in the US if you dressed like that, folks may start shooting at you.

I wish they had more tweed overcoats.

Not in the vast majority of N. America. You can possibly find a shooting club or two in the East or a plantation down South were dressing formally for a day in the woods isn't looked at askance but the main problem is that the thorny, briar-laden N. American landscape doesn't lend itself to that sort of thing. However, there's nothing wrong with changing into a tweed suit for dinner and reflective libations after a day's shooting. I would, however, restrict such countryside dandyism to a group of my closest friends, ones that already know what a hopeless clothing nutcase I am. They would just nod sadly and humor me in my dotage . . .

Ennius

Reaction score
OlSarge:

Your statement is indeed funny!

"I would, however, restrict such countryside dandyism to a group of my closest friends, ones that already know what a hopeless clothing nutcase I am. They would just nod sadly and humor me in my dotage "

I would suggest that the hunter demographic in the US is a bit different than the UK. Hunting probably tends to be more blue collar and rural folks here in the US.

J011yroger

Reaction score
Gentlemen, slightly off the topic of the thread, but while we are discussing hunting gear, my friend just gave me a Beretta catalog and the clothing therein is magnificent. Highly recommended to those of you with an outdoors mindset, nicer than Orvis.

J

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gentlemen, slightly off the topic of the thread, but while we are discussing hunting gear, my friend just gave me a Beretta catalog and the clothing therein is magnificent. Highly recommended to those of you with an outdoors mindset, nicer than Orvis.

J

It looks fantastic but is awful quality from the sartorial point of view.

OlSarge

Reaction score
Really? They have an excellent reputation among the field folk. Could you expand on that statement, please? We'd really like the details.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really?  They have an excellent reputation among the field folk.  Could you expand on that statement, please?  We'd really like the details.

All of their tailored clothing on St. James's street was very overpriced and poorly made.

MrSmith

Reaction score
not to forget either that Berretta Shotguns are the dogs bollocks for those shoot days in your 3 piece with breeks :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads