• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
... Get it changed if possible. See if you can do three roll two so you don't have to take out a button, just have to alter the width//angle of lapels.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, Kai.

Ennius

Reaction score
Hi Gents,

I just found this thread. Very nice indeed. I am developing a love of tweed. Especially in this cold weather.

I just ordered a pair of brown herringbone tweed trousers from Kent Wang - I wanted the fabric a bit heavier but the guy told me most folks live in climate controlled environments so they dont need as heavy fabric as back in the day! That does make sense but I assume the old school Scottish shops still make heavy old school tweeds?!

I am looking for a tweed messenger bag/casual brief case. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I found these fun ones by Thomas Tweed (through Etsy) pictured below. These arent really as big as I want but like the concept. They take used mens' jackets are create these. I figured some folks on this thread could appreciate them. Heck - when you favorite tweed suit/jacket gets worn out, they probably could turn it into a bag for you.

il_570xN.452220191_9z7a.jpg

il_570xN.452214850_h1ak.jpg

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The beauty about tweed (especially Harris tweed) is its resilience and longevity. I cannot imagine my favorite rough tweed jackets wearing out to the point where I wouldn't want to wear it no more. Of course all this thought is through natural wear-n-tear, and by no means increasing the effect through rolling out of moving cars while wearing. I have a few tweed jackets that are nicely broken in over the past 10-15 years, and damnit I enjoy wearing those more and more. It brings some type of self satisfaction to the table, knowing that my tweed & I have gone through some good **** over the past decades with plenty more to come.

But I do like those bags posted above. They look good for whats been done with unusable tweed material.

Give us a follow up on your HY tweed pants when they arrive. I myself were looking at a few .

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last year I stumbled upon Walker Slater during a walk in Edinburgh. Sadly I didn't have the time to truely look around the store as I would have liked to but I would say that if you are in the area it's worth a moment. Not overly far from the shop where a few niftly looking thrift stores that i wish we had managed to look at also. Great area of town and well worth a few days.

They have a small shop in London now too (in Fulham). It's worth considering their made-to-measure service which is really rather good if you don't mind the stronger shoulder (and I don't)

smoothmoose

Reaction score

Hi Gents,

I just found this thread.  Very nice indeed.  I am developing a love of tweed.  Especially in this cold weather.  

I just ordered a pair of brown herringbone tweed trousers from Kent Wang - I wanted the fabric a bit heavier but the guy told me most folks live in climate controlled environments so they dont need as heavy fabric as back in the day!  That does make sense but I assume the old school Scottish shops still make heavy old school tweeds?!  

I am looking for a tweed messenger bag/casual brief case.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

I found these fun ones by Thomas Tweed (through Etsy) pictured below.  These arent really as big as I want but like the concept.  They take used mens' jackets are create these.  I figured some folks on this thread could appreciate them.  Heck - when you favorite tweed suit/jacket gets worn out, they probably could turn it into a bag for you.

il_570xN.452220191_9z7a.jpg

il_570xN.452214850_h1ak.jpg
Those are nice murses and great concept to reclaim the tweed from jackets. I'm actually in the market for something like this, though I have been looking at mostly leather or ballistic nylon options...tweed once again would win on the character note alone.

Ennius

Reaction score
Please do let me know if anyone hears of a good tweed messenger bag/brief case maker. I like the 'murse' and may get one but it isnt really big enough for what I mainly want.

Snoogz - I will take your comments on the durability of your tweed jackets as a sign that a tweed bag would probably last well, too.

smoothmoose

Reaction score
Since you found these on Etsy, why don't you ask the maker if they can make a bigger bag? I assume you want one that can fit a laptop? They would probably need to use material from two jackets to make it, but it could end up to be a pretty interesting two-tone design. That's the point of Etsy isn't it?

I'm looking at the smaller bags for use during conferences and networking events. As I find myself grasping my paper notebook and tablet in hand and fiddling with my phone taking calls and such. A mini messengers seems like a good solution to free up my hands, while not being bulky compared to my laptop bag, or backpack.

Gbg brouge

Reaction score
Went online yesterday to browse the Mears Bespoke webiste, and got a URL not found-message. Anyone who knows what has happened? Are they out of business? Victims of the Bookster crash?

OlSarge

Reaction score
It looks to me like they've updated their site, something they've needed to do for a while, and it looks good! I suspect that you just caught them between servers when you tried to log on. It works now.

Ennius

Reaction score
Mears looks pretty sweet.

But tell me - does anyone actually go hunting in a 3 piece suit? Here in the US if you dressed like that, folks may start shooting at you.

I wish they had more tweed overcoats.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads