• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, but shoemakers see how a skin reacts to flexing and wearing over time. A tanner might not know how to treat something over time. Same way people ask mechanics for advise on what cars to buy, not asking car dealers.

In addition the tanner will see the skin for the last time when it leaves the tannery, w/o any clue as to how it stands up over a period of time in different conditions...

Would you take your shoe to the tanner because he tanned the skin for you?

Stirling

Reaction score
Yes, but shoemakers see how a skin reacts to flexing and wearing over time. A tanner might not know how to treat something over time. Same way people ask mechanics for advise on what cars to buy, not asking car dealers.

This much is true. The wearing over time bit, they certainly have a very good idea. A tanner knows as much about leather as anybody on this earth.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

In addition the tanner will see the skin for the last time when it leaves the tannery, w/o any clue as to how it stands up over a period of time in different conditions...
Would you take your shoe to the tanner because he tanned the skin for you?

1. Stop being an asshole.

2. Some people say vigorous brushing works well with shell. I have not had this experience. My experience as well as advise from Ron Rider of Rider Boot Co. and somebody who has done many finishing projects as well as experiements with leather and shell recommends light brushing. Shell isn't as porous as calf so the dye and the finishing waxes sort of sit on the top. this is why you get more pronouced color lightening where it bends, it is finish separating and you are seeing inside the leather more. I have noticed that hard brushing can disrupt the finish and lead to a dull finish, or a lighter color. Now I don't know what your original question was, but I am just offering some perspective.

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. Stop being an asshole.
2. Some people say vigorous brushing works well with shell. I have not had this experience. My experience as well as advise from Ron Rider of Rider Boot Co. and somebody who has done many finishing projects as well as experiements with leather and shell recommends light brushing. Shell isn't as porous as calf so the dye and the finishing waxes sort of sit on the top. this is why you get more pronouced color lightening where it bends, it is finish separating and you are seeing inside the leather more. I have noticed that hard brushing can disrupt the finish and lead to a dull finish, or a lighter color. Now I don't know what your original question was, but I am just offering some perspective.

Hope this is not directed at me, as I agree totally to what you are alluding above..

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

of course not and no one has said that.

It's funny how after buying a couple of pairs of shoes, using a bit of wax, you think you know something.

On the contrary it is people who know little bit seem to think they know everything and are beyond reproach.

You have still not used your immense knowledge to answer my basic question - wouldn't vigorous brushing remove the top layer of polish??

foxfyre841

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation. Ordered some from Maxton Mens (i believe he's a contributor on here) last friday and got the package of renovateur on Monday. The applicator (sock) was purple when I was done and the cream worked up a great shine once dry. Additionally, I think I'm addicted to the slightly pine scent of the cream.

Thanks again!
James

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads