Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. grendel

grendel Senior member

I did not get it wet before putting Reno on it, no, so I have no before / after comparison

2. foxfyre841

foxfyre841 New Member

I have a question regarding matching the color on my pair of vintage florsheim longwings in shell cordovan.

The deep color is more like the color of red brick than a purple, however I applied Allen Edmonds' cordovan (burgandy) cream and they have been tinged a bit darker and a bit more purple. Brushing and wiping with barely damp cloth has not restored the reddish brown that I loved.

Is there a cordovan care product whose burgandy or "cordovan" color is not tinged that horrible shade of AE-Shell purple? Hopefully, with continued use of that product I would hope to see the beloved red return to the shoes over the next year or so.

Best Regards,
    James

TL/DR: I need a more 'red' less 'purple' cream formulated specifically for cordovan. Any suggestions? (NOT Allen Edmonds Cordovan Cream)

3. mymil

mymil Senior member

^ You don't need to use a pigmented cordovan cream at all. Just use thin applications of Renovateur, which should pull up a bit of the pigment from the cordovan cream each time you apply it.

4. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

After you have the color pulled up from the shoes you can go to using Saphir Neutral Cordovan Polish if you feel a need for polish.

But frankly a good conditioning followed with frequent brushing will render them beautiful without much, or any additional polish.

5. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

As Mymil has suggested go ahead & use Saphir Renovateur.
    I would suggest you use the renovateur to gently remove the AE cream, once this has gone I recommend just using a horsehair brush vigorously with no products. Cordovan is full of natural oils & is very dense, (as opposed to being porous) vigorous regular brushing helps to re-circulate & redistribute these oils. Cordovan rarely dries out if you continue to push back it's natural oils so there really is no need for polishes and the like, unless you would like a very bright shine.

6. saleen

saleen Member

7. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

8. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

9. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

In that case wouldn't vigorous brushing take out the the top layer of polish? In my case it certainly did when I started to follow this method on my new shell. Not only it took out the top coat exposing a different color it also made the leather more uneven. Some conditioning with AE cordovan cream and a light coat of Kiwi did the trick.

Vass does not recommend this and recommends Kiwi wax btw.

10. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

because vass does a wonderful shell.

11. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

The starter of this thread wanted to basically remove some AE product & go back to the original colour.

I don't care much for the affinities of shoe manufacturers & which products they decide to promote or endorse. I have a lot of respect for
    Laszlo and have met him several times, but shoe makers & manufacturers don't know as much about skin as a tanner and vice versa.

12. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

Last edited: May 16, 2012

13. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

Last edited: May 16, 2012

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, but shoemakers see how a skin reacts to flexing and wearing over time. A tanner might not know how to treat something over time. Same way people ask mechanics for advise on what cars to buy, not asking car dealers.

15. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

You really need help.