**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

Go ask 10 people on the street to name you a brand of shoe polish, and I guarantee you not one of them will say Saphir. Shit, I bet one in a hundred wouldn't say Saphir.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

With only 120 posts you are already getting a reputation.

Conditioning and polishing with quality products is all shoes needs. Spraying a coating on them isn't needed.

Even better, don't wear good shoes in bad conditions!

Last edited: May 8, 2012

3. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

What exactly is that supposed to prove?

My point is that Saphir is currently a highly marketed product amongst it's peers, I didn't say it was a household brand, that's your assumption.

4. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

All I've said is spraying a coating as you put it, is one way of weatherproofing leather. Personally I don't do it for my own leathergoods, but the companies I've worked for & with have used similar products with success across a range of leathergoods.

The point is it works, dismissing it as a gimmick, is ignorance of science. Deciding it's not for you is informed choice.

I may only have 120 posts, but I have common sense too.

5. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

Nevermind.

Last edited: May 8, 2012

6. grendel

grendel Senior member

NY-WAY... My bag is already weathered as it's a vintage Coach bag from the 80's that I reconditioned. I was just wondering if it was the Renovateur I put on there that might be leading to the white water spots. I had seen them before and put 2 more coats of Obenauf's LP over it (pretty thick and baked in in the oven on low) but still got the spots. I guess I'll just have to live with them and be careful to keep it out of the rain as much as I can.

7. patrickBOOTH

The reno has beeswax in it that hardens slightly, so the water is just getting caught in the fibers of the bag and the wax. Perhaps down the raod you just want to wipe it down with a damp cloth and not use reno on it and just still with leather oil, or LP.

8. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

Cheers.

9. grendel

grendel Senior member

I haven't put any more reno on it since the 2 coats of LP... LP also has beeswax, doesn't it?

I was debating cleaning the whole thing with Reno'Mat and starting over. Maybe with the Obenauf's Leather Oil?

10. patrickBOOTH

I guess you could, but I think just general use and getting it rained on and then wiping with a damp cloth will be fine until there is little finish on it and it stops happening.

11. thecentennial

thecentennial Senior member

So, where can I buy replacement buckles for my vintage monks? The brass coating is rubbing off. I can't seem to find any online vendor, but that was only after a cursory search. Advice appreciated.

12. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Senior member

My gf has a few Coach bags, new & old. All of the recent purchases actually come pre-treated from Coach with Scotchguard, Coach recommend treating their vintage bags with a scotchguard protection too.

In respect of your Loakes, really can't explain what's happening. I would suggest giving them a couple of light coats of wax polish all over the shoe - condition them if they feel dry. The wax should protect the leather from water damage & hopefully prevent that awful marking.

Last edited: May 9, 2012

13. grendel

grendel Senior member

Those aren't my Loakes, just looking for an answer to a similar question.

I tried wiping the bag down with a damp cloth last night and it felt very waxy and was pulling up excess wax. Brushed it out and it was still feeling waxy, so I wiped the whole thing down with Lexol and it feels much better.

14. patrickBOOTH

That waxy feeling is the Obnaeufs. That stuff is heavy duty, (that's why they call it heavy duty LP). I notice that with shoes in New York City a lot of the spots that you see from rain is just dirt from the sidewalk that splashes up on them. Swelling is different. Even if they have a good amount of wax on them and you can see water beading up the water will still leave marks. Also, I am sure pollution in the rain drops themselves carry a lot of impurities onto the leather. Either way, it is always good to apply some sort of conditioner to leather after it is exposed to extreme moisture.

15. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

Did you get the bag wet before you put Reno on it? If so, did you see the white water spots then?

I would be hard pressed to think that the white spots came from Obenauf's LP...