**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. paskaldjay

paskaldjay Active Member

Does anyone know the difference by using a Goat or Yak Hair to brush the wax rather than a Horse Hair one? I confused that using goat/yak hair will produce a BETTER shine while (up until this time) from my experience the key is in the Buff process/technique

2. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

the prize and yes, you don't need them unless you get a provision from the sales.

3. paskaldjay

paskaldjay Active Member

[​IMG]

Above was my first Trial with Saphir. I use both Saphir & Kiwi, in order to know the difference that Saphir offers. I use standard procedure on this wax application

1. Apply the Wax with my fingers
    2. Wait it dry for 10 minutes
    3. Brush with Horsehair Brush (I use Collonil)
    4. Buff with Stocking for 3 minutes each shoe (I still don't know what the correlation between Wax & water. I've try to Shine with Cotton Cloth, dip it a little in water, take some wax in that Cloth then apply it. I make it 3x times & I got a dull, full of unabsorbed wax rather than High Shine)

I couldn't find any shine difference between Saphir & Kiwi. Both use to have same quality of Shine except an exotic smell of Saphir in my shoe [​IMG]
    Is this caused by my buffing technique or the quality which Saphir offer actually doesn't have any difference with Kiwi?

4. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

No problem James, happy that things worked out.

5. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Regarding the ease of polishing I personally find no difference between Saphir and Kiwi. In my experience Saphir polish dries to a more flexible finish which isn't as prone to cracking. In addition, if you use Renovateur you will find that it tends to lift up the Saphir wax easier than the Kiwi. This is another slight advantage as it makes conditioning and removing old polish easier. Saphir polishes do have noticibly more pigment in them.

In my experience these are the three noticable differences between the two products. (Excluding the lovely aroma and the nice soft feel of the Saphir wax coming out of the tin.)

In addition - there is the argument that Saphir's all natural products do not contain silicone or other additives that are said to be detrimental to the long term durability of the leather. I have no way to prove or disprove this.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I also notice that Saphir's wax is much more flexible. I feel like it "melts" much easier and is almost in between a cream and wax. It spreads much better and doesn't seem to get candle-like on the shoe.

btw, if your Scribes were black I would totally buy them.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  7. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Saphir wax and other shoe care products are also significantly more expensive than the rest (Meltonian, Kiwi...etc).

Saphir is made in France and has a lovely smell....

So all that makes Saphir better as it gives a more pleasureable shoe-pampering experience.

Note: A Fine Pair of Shoes (Forum sponsor) carries the Japanese brand Boot Black, which cost TWICE that of similar sized Saphir product. It is a step-up over the Saphir for the most discriminating of shoe connoisseurs.

8. patrickBOOTH

I will now be using Boot Black and I totally endorse it. Saphir is shit. Ruins your shoes. :lol:

9. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Now now, let's not be too hasty here.

Saphir is a high grade product that'll satisfy most..............but we at SF ain't "most"

Boot Black provides products for those where only the finest will do.

For example, check out the leather conditioning lotion for the soles of shoes. The ingredient section lists jajoba oil. That's something people use on human skin!

10. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Don't you have some of that boot black your pushin'? I've some black shoe dye in my hand right now! :devil:

Not to promote my own sales threak but I find it amazing that a guy can't sell a wonderful pair of brand new in box shoes for 50% off retail on BS these days. Very sad.

11. patrickBOOTH

[​IMG]

Jajoba oil molecules are almost identical to sperm whale oil. Lexol has engineered a synthetic version that is more environmentally friendly to whales which is in their conditioners. Also, sperm whale oil is a smaller molecule than jajoba so it penetrates better. So basically you can use Lexol instead of Boot Black. :teach:

12. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

The discriminating buyers are gone now.....The drones just buy what is being hyped.

maybe you need to start hyping the Bally Scribe line.

I've got some time this weekend and can add a few posts in your thread :)

13. patrickBOOTH

Economy is bad, man! Plus, $500 is astronomical for the cheap fucks that inhabit B&S.

14. paskaldjay

paskaldjay Active Member

I've bought some Boot Black products, like Wax & Cordovan Cream. Really nice, especially the wax, I smell it like a fruity Gum though [​IMG] although not spread as smooth as Saphir & the smell still very chemical compared to Saphir which more natural IMO

[​IMG]
    A Boot Black Wax Polish in Mahogany

[​IMG]
    A Boot Black Cordovan Cream in Burgundy

I bought it from Japan. The 50mL Wax cost 1000 Yen each, more expensive than imported Saphir MDO that cost 800 Yen in Japan. Personally I prefer Saphir than BB in terms of their usability. For me BB quite sticky to leather

15. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I'm sure the whales find it more environmentally friendly...especially if it saves them from being killed to harvest their oil [​IMG].