**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Well..............hells bells.......

2. rikod

rikod Senior member

ftfy, so true, if i have to sell something i go to ebay, never been able to sell anything on B&S, but put a double monk, or pantherella etc. for sale and it will be gone in 10 seconds.

3. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

yeah but I'm too lazy to deal with fleabay.

i'll just let those wonderful shoes dangle out there in my signature until they sell. i got nuttin' but time. :stirpot:

4. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

This.
    and this.

Signed NewShoes1, aka one of the cheap f**ks looking for 50% off C&J's, but too scared to buy something over the internet that he cannot try on.

5. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

Really don't know what gave you this impression. Used Boot Black good product, but Saphir is better and I'm no Saphir fan.

BBJ is popular in Japan because it's a domestic product, in terms of export they are just relying on the 'buy to try'.

6. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

So why is your OPINION more factual than my OPINION?

7. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

Maybe because I think about what I'm writing and have some reasoning behind it, rather than just making arbitrary comments.

Oh and after 20 years in the leather industry and having met most manufacturers of products aimed at leather maintenance & beautification I'd say I have a pretty well informed view.

8. mymil

mymil Senior member

Oh my gosh.

Here is some unsolicited advice: If you are going to make some sort of evaluative statement, please try to provide something to support your claim. For example, "Saphir applied much more smoothly than Boot Black and seemed to penetrate more deeply into the leather." Most importantly, such detail makes this forum and its posts more useful to everybody reading it as they try to learn and, in this case, evaluate the potential pros and cons of various shoe care methods and products.

9. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

A fair point. But anybody who thinks polish penetrates leather...you really wouldn't understand expert analysis.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Stirling, question:

You have worked in the leather industry for a long time, in your expert opinion what has a greater effect on keeping leather from cracking, products you use, or quality of the tannary?

11. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

Any leather, regardless of how fine the skin is, if abused is liable to cracking. This is where products come into the equation.

12. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a good number of "high-end" RTW shoes and they all get treated the same and don't see rain. Some have suffered cracking and others not. I am at the point where I think there are so many variables and sheer randomness to leather durability.

13. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

You are right about the variables, a pair of shoes cut from the same skin can have variances because it's a natural product. You're also right in questioning how leathers were finished as the fat liquoring process influences the properties of leather, such as it's tensile strength.

Last edited: May 18, 2012

14. mymil

mymil Senior member

Try anyway.

15. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I've emailed that guy a few times to ask him to stop using my images. It's not like he's damaged me in any way but I can only imagine how the buyers must feel when they get their bone stock shoes in the mail and they look nothing like his/my images. Ebay makes it very difficult to report stolen images unless they were stolen from another auction. It wasn't worth it for me to go to the trouble of completing a form and submitting it to ebay by mail or fax.

The crazy thing is that he's used the same images for what seems like a dozen different auctions for shoes that are used, new, differetn sizes, etc.

Last edited: May 18, 2012