1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. benhour

benhour Well-Known Member

as far as i know all kiwi polishes are silicon based!

2. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Having silicon content is very different than silicon based. Specifically, parade gloss contains silicon but do you know about every other blend they have?

3. RIDER

RIDER Well-Known Member

untouchable123.....I hope you won't get upset by me using your post here as an example in matching the correct product with a particular shoe, but this could be useful for many here. Here is a case where a 'good' or 'better' product is actually detrimental to the shoe being worked on. Unfortunately, there is a lot of this on the market now, with little explanation by the shoe shops in what the customer is buying. The leather here is split calf, painted black with a plastic coating applied as the top coat - no grain exists. You can already see the plastic top coat lifting off at the crease points. The use of any classic wax in this case is actually going to speed up the deterioration of the finish. Interestingly, the product the next guy was pitching (I particularly like the advise to make sure you shine the entire shoe...very helpful and noted here!) or a product like the Tarrago self-shine cream, would be the more correct product to use. Both are fairly benign creams, with a little resin in the mix (the self-shine), but are far less caustic than any traditional paste and the job is done - virtually to the same degree pictured - in around 1 minute. For some leathers, you really don't need to break a sweat to keep them in good condition, and, unfortunately, many of the 'known' products can actually cause you to get less time in them then by doing nothing.

4. glenjay

glenjay Well-Known Member

This topic has come up it this thread before. Back then I asked Johnson & Johnson (the makers of Kiwi polish) this question and their response was that only the Parade polish contained silicone.

Johnson & Johnson is very good about answering user's questions about their products. In the contact link (in English) is (https://www.econsumeraffairs.com/scj/ContactUs.htm). They typically respond to questions within a day or two.

5. benhour

Glen and Cho thats why i said "as far as i know" and didnt said i am sure of it!! kiwi products are not sold in my country(Greece) and believe me i really tried to find them! i can only judge from an old( early 90s' late 80s' i dont know ,i just found it in my grandfathers stuff) kiwi wax polish i have seen!!it was standar polish(not parade gloss) and it had silicone in it for sure( i remember that but i dont have the tin to take a pic from the back)! i guess they have changed that in their product from back then!! in a little search i made in the internet only parade gloss and instant shine spong or wipes has silicone(said on the tin or on the packaging)!

their wax polish they say it is 100% natural so i suppose it is!! i am sorry for the missinformation on that!!

but as it is obvious http://www.kiwishoeshine.com/KIWI-Select-Mink-Oil-11-oz_p_478.html
    parade gloss is not their only shoe care product that contains silicone

so for me the only thing i can say for sure is that we have to be carefull with all products and read the back sticker!! hahaha

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  6. glenjay

As you pointed out Ben, the Kiwi line is pretty broad. I don't remember the specific context of the question that was originally posed to J&J, but I suspect it related to their main paste polish line. I'll see if I can dig up the original email. I actually posted the response from J&J in this thread some time ago as well.

7. glenjay

Well, I couldn't find the email as it was over a year ago, and I don't keep my email that long.

I did find the post where I originally posted the response from J&J (http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/...thread-tutorials-photos-etc/1040#post_5118321) and the response was "Kiwi[​IMG] Parade Gloss[​IMG] is the only paste polish that contains silicone. All other Kiwi[​IMG] pastes are silicone free.".

So for clarification: The overall Kiwi line has some products that contain silicone (as benhour pointed out), but Parade Gloss is the only paste that contains silicone. "All other Kiwi[​IMG] pastes are silicone free.".

Thanks for helping clear that up Ben.

8. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

And, before anyone go full Saphir, a lot of shoemakers uses Kiwi polish to finish...

9. MarkThomas

MarkThomas Well-Known Member

Cross-post from the thrift thread.

Nunn Bush - Ankle Fashioned, Custom Grade shell cordovan ca. mid 1950's.
    They definitely needed some work. Rubbed Renovateur in until it was fully absorbed then brushed like hell.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. David Copeland

David Copeland Well-Known Member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    I would tend to agree that shoemakers would go all Kiwi instead of Saphir. And I suspect it based on final cost of the Saphir process versus the final cost of Kiwi.

Go to Tijuana, Mexico, and the kids will use Kiwi to get a great shine. But maybe the Saphir process (3 step to 5-step product procedures and maintenance) will outrun the long term result of a high quality shoe. (I could have put cheap gas in my early sports cars instead of the high-octane brands - and the sports car would still run okay - but at what cost down the line?

David

11. David Copeland

Just click on my User Name (to the left) and choose from the drop down - ALL POSTS - and you will see where I have posted Saphir links, sites, videos, and other great tools.

All my best to you in your journey,

David

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  12. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

The last time I saw that picture, you were trying to find out what color the shoe is and who the manufacterer was. That's a photo you found on the internet, yes? Did you ever find out the answer?

13. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Well-Known Member

Hahahaaaa! Gogettim!

14. marburymadison

marburymadison Well-Known Member

How true. I managed to get a mirror shine on mine using Kiwi. Partner thought I was crazy spending so much time polishing my shoes.

15. benhour

how match time did you spent?

16. marburymadison

marburymadison Well-Known Member

An hour and fifteen minutes, with an evil grin on my face. Is that a lot? I've no idea what's the average time people spend polishing their shoes.

17. SHS

SHS Well-Known Member

Those are Pingson's Tricker's. http://mostlyharmlessstuff.tumblr.com/post/48029442487/four-pattern-monday-wiwt-apr-15-2013 Edit: I remember he posted them here and I asked him what they were:

18. benhour

most of the time i need about 20-30 minutes per pear to go from 0-100%!! it depends on the leather surface-the products you use and of course for how long you are doing!!

i use saphir and collonil products but i have to use Glenjays high gloss polish!! it looks like it has great results!!

19. David Copeland

Yes, I did. Thanks!

Oh my . . . Here is another great photo to use to express your desires or qualities:

[​IMG]

Sorry, my friend . . . they are Tricker's Kensington in Espresso Burnished

Source:
    http://www.conrad-hasselbach-shop.de/Trickers-Kensington-Espresso

20. SHS

SHS Well-Known Member