• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kentyman

Reaction score

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you guys who are interested in some of the products calculate the shipping from Paris 75008 using La Poste to your zip codes. If you're willing to spend that much + the cost of the product, typically between 5-8 euros, I'll proxy for you with no fee.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn just searched everywhere, seems like nobody will ship the spray. Hanger project is out of stock as well. Anybody want to do a group order maybe from Saphir directly if that is possible?

Valmour also will not ship it to the US

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hanger Project will have the Saphir sprays back in stock late Feb or early March.

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this product safe to use on my AE walnut Strands? I'm a bit of a n00b so blahh
It's what my local cobbler carries.

I got this and a neutral shoe wax from kiwi.

I have not used this product, but I would be concerned that it contains silicone. It states that it is a water repellent, produces a shine, and contains no waxes.

Unlike wax that allows moisture to pass to some degree, silicone does not. Leather allows some moisture/perspiration to pass through to the surface for evaporation. The thin layers of shoe polish wax impede this to some degree, but also allow some moisture to pass through, which is why shoe polish does not make your shoes water proof. However, silicone is used in water repellent products because it is very good at sealing out (or in) moisture.

I don't know for sure if this product contains silicone, I'm just saying that if it does I would probably avoid using it.
Thanks I'll look into that as my feet tend to perspire quite a bit...

Anyone else wanna have a go?

jasonmx3

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I would go with a neutral or light tan cream polish and match the color of the scuffs to the cream polish, i.e,. if you have scuffs on both the light and dark parts you will need two.

Thanks! Not used to this duo-tone types of leathers. Will try to get a tan first, hopefully that will be enough.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Lear, try at least 240 or finer sand papers. 100s is still pretty rough.

I used 600 with Dremel to grind down heavy wax build up spots.

On renomat usage, don't soak the leather. Same with both acetone and Clorox bleach. Leather top grain will be easily damaged when wet.

Lear

Reaction score

@Lear, try at least 240 or finer sand papers. 100s is still pretty rough.

I used 600 with Dremel to grind down heavy wax build up spots.

On renomat usage, don't soak the leather. Same with both acetone and Clorox bleach. Leather top grain will be easily damaged when wet.

Yes, going to use a 240 grit on those sole edges.

While applying Renomat, at no time did the leather feel soaked. Finally, wiped down with a wet cotton rag and the shoes were completely dry by morning. Looking at the leather grain, I'm happy to say that it still looks as good as new. Phew!

All this in preparation for the next tier (JL) batch. I want to see how Renomat is with the old museum finish.

Off-topic: People are free to do exactly as they want, but I'm always puzzled by the fact that someone will spend £1000 on a pair of shoes, yet have them looking like budget footwear within months. Polish too thick, inadequate cleaning, frayed laces, worn heels, no shoe-trees etc.

Can you believe that someone suggested - just as I was weighing up the merits of Straight European Lacing vs Double Helix Lacing - I'd become obsessed with shoes. So ridiculous, I had to laugh out loud.

Lear

dbhdnhdbh

Reaction score
Heat to remove creases.

I know some SF people hate the creases that develop when they use their shoes. I don't care, but I thought I would pass along this bit of serendipity. Nick V recommended a treatment in which you saturate the creased area with stretching compound then heat them with a hair dryer until completely dry. By chance I happened upon a method that is easier, does not require using stretching fluid (which scares me for what it might do to leather), and uses gentler heat:

I was Sno Sealing a pair of shoes that I use for inclement weather. Obviously not even the nicest shoes I have, let alone the high end shoes many SF's favor. I am not sure I would Sno Seal such shoes.

Anyway, With shoe trees in, I placed them in an electric oven for heat, rather than using a hair dryer. This was too avoid overheating them, which is a worry for me with the dryer.

Using the oven, I set the temperature to 130 degrees. That warmed them uniformly, but never got any part of the shoes actually hot.

I did not check the real temperature since my oven thermometer does not go down that low. It was warm enough to melt Sno Seal, but cool enough that I could remove the cookie sheet on which I set the shoes with my bare hands, and handle the shoes immediately.

As usual with Sno Seal, it took several applications until the leather would take no more. By the time the sealing was done I found that the creases in the vamps had almost completely disappeared. I have not worn them yet to see how quickly they return, but those who hate creases may want to give this a try.

I have not tried heat alone, or heat with conditioner used for dress shoes, so I don't know how much the Sno Seal contributed. Perhaps some shoe afficionado will want to try it. I am pretty sure the heat would not be harmful to the shoes, it just was not that hot.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you address polishing shoes which have a color you are unable to find an exact match for in regards to cream or wax?

They are beige and I was unable to find any saphir in the beige color.

Last edited:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How do you address polishing shoes which have a color you are unable to find an exact match for in regards to cream or wax?

Something that is seldom if ever mentioned on this subject is the practice of mixing colors (cream naturally) saphire even sells a " color wheel " of sorts that gives proportions.I personally just wing it . Use the cream for color then neutral or tan wax if you want that hard shine

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
I have a pair of black cordovan Alden loafers and cant seem to find a straight answer -- should I use saphir reno, or the dedicated saphir shell cordovan formula in the black color?

Also, how do I care for the matching black cordovan belt?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads