**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. SloopyNoob

SloopyNoob Senior member

Your best bet is a cobbler shop.

2. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

wonderful job

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  3. Chicagobred

Chicagobred Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was thinking more along the lines of staining the white threading brown to blend it in with the rest of the sole, with edge dressing or something like it. Does anybody have past experience doing this to a pair of their shoes? Originally, the threading on the shoe was a "natural" brown. I have no idea why white threading was used to resole the shoe, I had just assumed they would use the same color threading as before, or at least tell me what they were going to do before they did it. The white threading really changes the look of the whole shoe.

I'm somewhat cautious about doing it myself, since I feel like I'll probably do a half-assed job of it and make them look worse instead of better. Any advice would be great!

4. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I think you could easily do what you proposed with some edge dressing in the appropriate color. If you are worried about precision, you could always squeeze some edge dressing into a separate container and use a q-tip to precisely apply it. Another thought, though it isn't made for shoes, is using a wood stain marker. You can go down to any hardware store and buy wood stain that is in the form of a marker (made for touching up scratches in furniture) and just run it along the stitching line.

5. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Hi guys, looking to put together a shoe care kit, don't really know what I'm doing, some guides would be really helpful. Want something that can protect and take care of all my shoes, a complete kit kind of thing? What do I need
    My shoes are
    White soled leather sneakers
    Brown Meermins
    Brown Florshiems
    Boots
    Blue Sude
    Brown Suede
    Black leahther
    and probably a few others I'm forgetting

What should I be getting and are there any really good, must read guides?

Cheers
    Adam

6. grendel

grendel Senior member

What's your budget? This is a pretty good high-end starter kit if you want to start with the good stuff... $195

http://hangerproject.com/closet/shoe-care/saphir-shoeshine-starter-kit.html#.USZOE1rF3-I

7. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

8. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

This thread has a great deal of good information on shoe care and shoe care products. I would also recommend my blog (sorry for the self promotion) which has a section dedicated to shoe care.

9. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

I would love to see these in action.
    Post pics of you rocking these in the Show Off Your Sock And Pant Combo thread

10. grendel

grendel Senior member

These are works of art. Beautiful.

11. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

Is this product safe to use on my AE walnut Strands? I'm a bit of a n00b so blahh
    It's what my local cobbler carries.
    [​IMG]

I got this and a neutral shoe wax from kiwi.

12. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

I have not used this product, but I would be concerned that it contains silicone. It states that it is a water repellent, produces a shine, and contains no waxes. Unlike wax that allows moisture to pass to some degree, silicone does not. Leather allows some moisture/perspiration to pass through to the surface for evaporation. The thin layers of shoe polish wax impede this to some degree, but also allow some moisture to pass through, which is why shoe polish does not make your shoes water proof. However, silicone is used in water repellent products because it is very good at sealing out (or in) moisture. I don't know for sure if this product contains silicone, I'm just saying that if it does I would probably avoid using it.

13. stevent

stevent Senior member

What is the best suede waterproofer? Ideally something that doesn't change suede color? Just got the Cleverley by C&J aubergine double monks and want to keep color spot on

14. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Pics or no you didn't :D

15. stevent

stevent Senior member

haha about to go to bed, been wanting a pair forever and couldn't resist after picked up the russian reindeer saddle too. Almost bought the belt as well but caught myself