• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Leather Artisans Appreciation Thread

ambien walrus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Glueeater
In memory of the original thread name...

My belt from Unlucky, just added LP. Got mid-August 2010.

now:
4120913.image

then:
DSCN2143.jpg

Can we get a picture of the "after" in the same ****** light?

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Question for the fellow "Joe Hill" group order participants (applies to all natural-color belts): what color/kind of shoes are y'all wearing with your belts? I have a pair of Chucks that should complement the color pretty nicely (without being too match-y), and I'll probably wear it with my GATs, but that's about it on my end.

Thoughts?

SoulCrux

Reaction score
So i checked the website on that business card, but there's nothing on there except for an "About us" page. I remember there being a thread on here where h posted all the diffferent types of hides and buckles he had, etc. But now when i tried to click on threads started by "unlucky", SF gives me an error.

So..what?

mikecch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by notwithit
Question for the fellow "Joe Hill" group order participants (applies to all natural-color belts): what color/kind of shoes are y'all wearing with your belts? I have a pair of Chucks that should complement the color pretty nicely (without being too match-y), and I'll probably wear it with my GATs, but that's about it on my end.

Thoughts?

I wear my natural belts with black or brown mocs/boots...I reckon the colour on the belt gets pretty versatile after a bit of wear
smile.gif

UncleSammy

Reaction score
My favorite leather stuff, except for one item all in horse.
Scott's double HH veg. tanned belt, wallet and coin purse have been used daily for a year.
My most appreciated purchases of last year.
Used some Fiebings oil dye on the coin purse to make it a dark brown/seal color.
(See my previous post on page 2. to compare)
The other more supple belt (veg. tanned outside/chrome tanned inside) is unused so far.
Been out of country for some time, your posts make me anxious to order some extra HH goodies from this Utah genius. Watchbands?

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My group buy Joe Hill belt came in yesterday. I haven't bought a new belt in yeaaars so this sucker is thick and a bit unwieldy to use right now. I'm sure it'll soften up with use.

It also came with a tin of something. Do I need to treat natural belts this thick to prevent cracking/damage or will I be okay just wearing it in?

MaxK

Reaction score
That tin would be the conditioner. Scott said you probably only need to use it a few times a year at most. I wore my Joe Hill out for the first time today. Got a few comments including a description of the buckle ad "spectacular." the belt is seriously thick, stiff, and light colored right now, but you can feel that it's going to get supple and darken nicely. This item is going to be in as heavy a rotation as I can swing to get some good wear on it!

MaxK

Reaction score
Here's pics of the Joe Hill:

9f6edab5.jpg

1db212fa.jpg

I plan on trying to work the belt through my hands a bit every day to start loosening it up. It's a great piece!

mikecch

Reaction score
^ Nice MaxK - thanks for the pics, now my intro can go!

Here goes my rant (photos by Scott himself)

A few months ago, I became very curious about how the Japanese artisan brands process their high-end leathers, and why it is so different from the stuff that everybody else uses even when the leathers come from the same tanneries.

I thus began a conversation with Scott (a.k.a. Unlucky) of Don't Mourne, Organize! about the possibility of making a North American belt that will rival the likes of Red Moon, The Flat Head, Kawatako, etc in terms of the leather, the hardware, the stitching and all the little details in constructing a belt.

We eventually learned that although the Japanese oftentimes purchsed high quality saddle/skirting leather from the top US tanneries (or even 'wet' hides) much like many of our respected belt makers, one important difference lies in how the Japanese workshops process this very raw leather into something very "bridle"-like with a magnificent hand and good weight.

The differences in hardware (the higher-end Japanese makes utilize hand-forged buckles, etc) and attention to detail (stitch material, buckle-fold design, edge burnish, etc) were somewhat more apparent at times.

With that in mind, we began a project to create a top quality North American work-belt for leather-freaks...

Firstly, the leather.
We debated on the merits of different types of leather - would it be best to use a skirting leather (where maximum grain & patina development is possible, but the leather is lighter and more dry to begin with), a harness leather (strong and full of oils, but doesn't come in natural), or a bridle leather (smooth and oily, but North American bridle usually lack character)?

Much brainstorming ensued and Scott bought in several sample hides, including interesting pieces from Wickett & Craig, Moser and Thoroughbred.

dscn2490.jpg

dscn2489jw.jpg

dscn2488u.jpg

dscn2487f.jpg

In the end, we took a page from the Japanese craftsmen's book and decided to use a custom 15~17 oz Moser natural skirting leather which had been expertly hand-stuffed by Mr. Moser...a truly beautiful leather with a solid body, good weight and an amazing texture!

Secondly, the hardware.
I had noticed that brands like Samurai, Dolce Vita, etc tended to use buckles that were much, well, bigger than Western makes. I asked Scott whether it would be possible to also give the old buckle a nice upgrade...

Again, much brainstorming followed - we went through some US hardware suppliers' catalogs, inquired at a few different foundries, consulted with Jeff Decker (master buckle maker), and thought about different materials to use.

Scott eventually found a husband & wife team of Damascus steel makers (Alabama Damascus), and it was decided that Scott will hand-make some clip buckles for the project from Damascus billets of various patterns!
Everything from the slight curve created by Scott's own 4 tonne arbor press to the hand-cut edges show the love and care Scott has put into these buckles (big thanks goes to Mr. Decker as well).
The steel was then finished so that it will age beautifully with the leather.

An early prototype:
dscn2414n.jpg

dscn2416cj.jpg

Thirdly, the stitching.
For this belt, it was suggested that an upgrade from the usual poly or linen threads were due.
Scott has hand-made some sinew threads from the tendons of wild Montana mule deers.
This stuff is amazing, gram for gram stronger than most steel.

And to complement the stitching at the buckle fold, hand-hammered copper rivets have been added to for central reinforcement.

dscn2492v.jpg

dscn2495p.jpg

Finally, for dessert, we have small tins of home-made leather condition made by Scott, based on recipes gathered from saddle-makers and leather experts.
Feeling the love yet? :p

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikecch

Mike, it's great to know the background to this project. So, did the finished product meet all your expectations? Did you achieve everything that you set out to accomplish with this project? Does it indeed rival the Japanese makers (Flathead, etc...) you mentioned?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads