• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd weigh (more lately than in years past) in, but I'm too busy doing early shopping for Christmas ornaments: Oh yes ... that one ... the Anna Wintour! ;)

That's all.

Attachments

• anna-wintour-tree-decoration-191736.jpg
    anna-wintour-tree-decoration-191736.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 78

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You have any pictures of these?

I also don't understand the bolded.

From what I've seen in the Lupo polo, it seemed quite floppy and unpredictable.

What would the best option be if I just want a polo collar that maintains its shape and roll underneath a jacket?

Probably less predictable than a button-down since you don't have buttons to anchor the collar points. I think it's OK though.

I think both the Soft Roma and Soft Ivy are nice. Just don't iron the collar flat and you'll have a roll. Meaning, don't iron a crease into where it folds over.

I have one of these I bought a couple years ago and really like. I agree w Derek that they can be tricky to fit and better to do in person if possible. It’s also fairly warm and the sleeves seem longer than most milsurp liners I’ve tried (a good thing). Here’s a pic of mine from 2019, think I posted it somewhere in the should I buy thread at some point where someone asked about them.

View attachment 1698416

Looks great!

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score
I think those are best to source in person.

Actual milsurp liners are made to fit underneath jackets, not as standalone outerwear pieces. So they're naturally shorter than a regular milsurp jacket, and may not fit across the shoulders as you might expect. I think they can look cool, but it's easier to judge these things if you're able to try on different pieces in person. Online, the measurements don't always tell the whole story because they're naturally wide and short.

FWIW, I think the Czech military liners look cool. You can sometimes find them on Etsy for about $50, but again, prob easier to try on in person. Also easier to pull off if your style is a bit workwear boho.

If you go to flea markets, sometimes vendors will have them.

View attachment 1698325

I love liners and all, but that one looks like a bread line in a failing state.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably less predictable than a button-down since you don't have buttons to anchor the collar points. I think it's OK though.

I think both the Soft Roma and Soft Ivy are nice. Just don't iron the collar flat and you'll have a roll. Meaning, don't iron a crease into where it folds over.
Dope, thanks for the tips Derek

AW84

Reaction score
I have one of these I bought a couple years ago and really like. I agree w Derek that they can be tricky to fit and better to do in person if possible. It’s also fairly warm and the sleeves seem longer than most milsurp liners I’ve tried (a good thing). Here’s a pic of mine from 2019, think I posted it somewhere in the should I buy thread at some point where someone asked about them.

View attachment 1698416
Nice boots. What are they?

StaticProgression

Reaction score

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
What kind of hats do you all wear with your overcoats and top coats?

I end up wearing a black toque/beanie because everything else ends up looking goofy on me. Ivy cap especially.

I think beanies normally look silly with overcoats. At the same time, I understand that you are young (I am also on the younger side, albeit not as much as you) and that a tweed cap can look a bit old fashioned.

I wear a tweed cap. I think the key is try them on and find one with a shape and color that suits you and looks reasonably modern. I also think they will invariably look silly if you aren't also wearing a coat.

Part of wearing a cap is getting used to seeing yourself in a cap. Part of wearing a cap is figuring out how to wear one (e.g., how much you pull down the bill in front, how much you tilt hat to the side, how much you try to curve the brim).

As for where to get one, I have caps from Lock and Co. but they can be pricy. I have one from John Hanly. It is much cheaper and it is the one I wear the most this time of year, probably because I tried it on in person and chose a color that suited me.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to wear tweed flat caps everywhere. It’s the first thing I bought in NYC when I moved there in 97 and I kept wearing it until about 5 years ago.

I realize I’m overthinking it, but Peaky Blinders ruined flat caps for me. It didn’t matter if I wore one with a denim shirt or balmacaan, everywhere I went someone shouted “Peaky Blinders!” and gave me an enthusiastic thumbs up.

Fuggin Peaky Blinders.

krudsma

Reaction score
I've always been skeptical of newsboy caps until last month when my girlfriend bought me one as a gift. It's a nice Harris Tweed herringbone and I have to say I've really come around. It looks great with my Barbour. I agree, however, that it took some getting used to when seeing myself in a mirror.

@UrbanComposition do you have any inspiration pics for tweed bucket hats? I'm intrigued.

Last edited:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think beanies normally look silly with overcoats. At the same time, I understand that you are young (I am also on the younger side, albeit not as much as you) and that a tweed cap can look a bit old fashioned.

I wear a tweed cap. I think the key is try them on and find one with a shape and color that suits you and looks reasonably modern. I also think they will invariably look silly if you aren't also wearing a coat.

Part of wearing a cap is getting used to seeing yourself in a cap. Part of wearing a cap is figuring out how to wear one (e.g., how much you pull down the bill in front, how much you tilt hat to the side, how much you try to curve the brim).

As for where to get one, I have caps from Lock and Co. but they can be pricy. I have one from John Hanly. It is much cheaper and it is the one I wear the most this time of year, probably because I tried it on in person and chose a color that suited me.
A polite way of saying "Suck it up and just try a bunch of them on"!

My dad has a small collection that he never even wears, so I might try them out.
I used to wear tweed flat caps everywhere. It’s the first thing I bought in NYC when I moved there in 97 and I kept wearing it until about 5 years ago.

I realize I’m overthinking it, but Peaky Blinders ruined flat caps for me. It didn’t matter if I wore one with a denim shirt or balmacaan, everywhere I went someone shouted “Peaky Blinders!” and gave me an enthusiastic thumbs up.

Fuggin Peaky Blinders.
Aaaand there's this too. I watched the show this summer and it was great fun, but I didn't realize how popular of a cultural influence it really was.

I'd rather not be confused for imitating a character on a TV show.

I refused to touch black turtlenecks as well for a long time because of my negative associations with Steve Jobs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads