• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

#ForBrian : RIP @hbkshin / StyleForum's Help Needed To Aid The Family Of A Fallen Brother

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Guys, you may have seen this posted in the thrift thread a few weeks ago, if you follow it but its below again :

Guys, I have some sad news to report.

Im sure most of you have been here long enough to remember Brian Shin, known here as @hbkshin, and known as Wardrobe Renovations on eBay. I have the unfortunate duty to report to you today that Brian has passed away.

I was contacted by one of Brian's friends to do a consignment of things to raise funds for his family, who does not speak English very well, and is having a very hard time both emotionally and financially. So, I am, but I thought I would be able to extend that gesture beyond the confines of my ability to ask you all for help.

What I would like to do is to coordinate a giant #menswear eBay sale, with all funds to be donated from the items sold to go to Brian's family. If all of you who sell on eBay sold one item in a certain week and used a unifying search word, I was thinking #forbrianshin - we could all raise some funds to assist his family. I will also promote the listings on my tumblr, instagram, and hopefully we can get a feature on PTO with it as well.

I would have to coordinate the sale with the arrival or Brian's friends consignment, so we have a few weeks to hash out details. If you would like to be involved in the sale in any way (not just selling, but perhaps donating an item if you don't sell, or assisting with back end organization, please don't PM me but rather just LIKE THIS POST and I will contact you when I have everything coordinated.

It can be anything that you'd like to sell, of any dollar value - but Brian loved thrifting and he loved menswear - so something thrifted thats menswear would be a fitting tribute.

From one of Brian's last posts, it was clear that he had some struggles going on. But as he points out, he had never found a community that supported him as we did. So lets give him a proper send off and honor him with a good turnout for this and be true to how he thought of us.

If any of you are having similar (or dissimilar) struggles that make you feel the same way, please, PLEASE contact a suicide prevention hotline for help. 1-800-273-8255, they are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Below is a picture of Brian in happier times, how Im sure he would like to be remembered.

Brian, known here on StyleForum as @hbkshin had a very long history with us on the thrift thread. He was a fantastic thrifter, with a great sense of humor, and phenomenal photography skills. He was an awesome guy to (digitally) know, and I'm sure even better IRL with his friends.

Unfortunately, Brian took his own life recently.

A friend of his had contacted me because Brian had previously consigned with me and had told his friend about me and what I do. The friend who reached out to me told me that they had learned to thrift from Brian and they had some good stuff to sell. They wanted to send me their things to sell and have their portion of the proceeds go to help Brians family. Of course I agreed, but I think we can join together to make this a bigger thing.

So here is what I am doing.

- The pieces that Brian's friend sent me to sell are going to go live starting on Thursday, June 30th.
- Ill have the hashtag "#ForBrian" in all my auctions that the recipient's proceeds are going to his family.
- @dieworkwear has graciously accepted to feature these listings in a Put This On feature to hopefully get more eyes on them.

Now, what I ask of you, StyleForum community :

- Many of you are eBay sellers. If you would consider listing an item and have the proceeds go to Brian's family, I would appreciate that very much. It could be one thing, many things, something big, something small, but any little bit helps.

- You can use the same hashtag "#ForBrian" in the title of your auctions, so they are easily searchable.

- It would be very helpful to use the same format as I do in my listings ($9.99 with no reserve, 10 day auction starting June 30 and ending on Sunday, July 3rd, at around 6:30pm EST.

If you would consider listing an item to benefit Brian's family, please reply here in this thread with the item you are planning to list and your eBay account (this is to make sure nobody else uses the hashtag for exposure without actually participating).

After you've collected payment from your item, and deducted any fees that you would pay, of course, I would ask that you make the check out to Brians family (I will contact you with the exact name after you collect payment) and mail the check to me. Once I receive all the checks, I will put them all together and send them to his family. It would also be very awesome if you include maybe a small note too, so his family recognizes the depth and impact he had on so many people willing to participate. Do note they don't speak English very well (they are Korean) so perhaps if we have a Korean translator that would be helpful too.

Theres not a whole lot I ask of you guys to do, but this is important to me to have a big turnout, so I hope you guys all jump on here.

Any questions or logistical help/ideas/suggestions please let me know.

** Note that many of you had asked me to sell pieces of yours and donate your portion of the sale to his family - I can facilitate this if your auctions are also going live that same week, so I will contact you if your items are. If your items that I am selling are not going live during the week, I can still make the donation to the family, however it may not get the same exposure, just FYI.

** Double note - for full disclosure, I am also deeply discounting my commission rate on these auctions, the great majority of the payout goes right to Brian's family.

Im thanking you deeply for your support, and lets see some big numbers come out.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stand up stuff. I can't help on the sale side but I hope that something works the other way and I'd be happy to inflate a bidding war.

Dirt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome endeavor. Will update in here when I figure out what I will be auctioning.

Versace Guy

Reaction score
Hey Spoo, can we just send the item directly to you? Small time sellers like me don't ever get good prices with my items doing auction style.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hey Spoo, can we just send the item directly to you? Small time sellers like me don't ever get good prices with my items doing auction style.

You can, sure - but it wouldn't go live with the rest of the batch, it would be a few weeks later. You can list it at any format you like - doing the same style listing was just a suggestion. List however you prefer. There will be (hopefully) tons of exposure on the items, and feel free to promote them in this thread, social media, etc.

highvoltorb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers Madison sport coat and Gucci Loafers from lewisnj8766.

Last edited:

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're a good man, Spoo.

Last edited:

TexJake

Reaction score
Definitely in. Thanks for taking the lead and hashing out logistics for us to participate.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Thanks for doing this Spoo. Are you starting/ending all the listing titles with the #FORBRIAN - I'll try to match them up and reach out to all the guys who have stuff with me if they want to put an item into the mix and get some of my own stuff together as well.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks for doing this Spoo. Are you starting/ending all the listing titles with the #FORBRIAN - I'll try to match them up and reach out to all the guys who have stuff with me if they want to put an item into the mix and get some of my own stuff together as well. 

Yup, all auctions will have #ForBrian in the title - I just need the items that will be included before next Thursday here so we can have a comprehensive list. Appreciate your support.

dadjeans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in with a few items via @Brianpore who just PM'd me about this. Thanks for putting this together Spoo!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads