• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
The image for the headline story on WaPo right now.
1608138661425.png

I guess they are catching on even more than I thought.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is there a way to get email updates when there are new posts on the blog?

There are a few web services that allow you to get email updates direct to your inbox. If you google "RSS feed email update," you should be able to pull up a few. Here's the one I use, although I haven't compared services to know which is best. I'm happy with this one, however. Pretty simple service -- when a blog updates, you get the content delivered to your inbox. The layout doesn't always look the best, but it's adequate.

There's also this, but I haven't tried it

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was asked for pictures of me wearing the Bal coat, so here you go, you're getting all the pics.

I'm 85% satisfied. I feel like an Apparel Arts drawing. Left/right balance wasn't accounted for. I asked my tailor about it before making the coat and he said it should be fine due to raglan shoulder, but clearly that was a hustle.

I had no idea the back looked so dramatic with a belt until now. Very exaggerated silhouette and I kind of love it. Interestingly the back emphasizes my shoulders despite the construction, and the belt emphasizes the waist. The side view really shows the heft of this cloth in the sleeves and how it drapes.

Due to how full it is, it doesn't actually look good worn open like other Bals. Sleeves are too long, but I'm leaving that as is, keeps my hands very warm.

IMG-20201216-WA0017.jpg
IMG-20201216-WA0015.jpg
IMG-20201216-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20201216-WA0013.jpg
IMG-20201216-WA0012.jpg
IMG-20201216-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20201216-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20201216-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20201216-WA0002.jpg

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was asked for pictures of me wearing the Bal coat, so here you go, you're getting all the pics.

I'm 85% satisfied. I feel like an Apparel Arts drawing. Left/right balance wasn't accounted for. I asked my tailor about it before making the coat and he said it should be fine due to raglan shoulder, but clearly that was a hustle.

I had no idea the back looked so dramatic with a belt until now. Very exaggerated silhouette and I kind of love it. Interestingly the back emphasizes my shoulders despite the construction, and the belt emphasizes the waist. The side view really shows the heft of this cloth in the sleeves and how it drapes.

Due to how full it is, it doesn't actually look good worn open like other Bals. Sleeves are too long, but I'm leaving that as is, keeps my hands very warm.

IMG-20201216-WA0017.jpg
IMG-20201216-WA0015.jpg
IMG-20201216-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20201216-WA0013.jpg
IMG-20201216-WA0012.jpg
IMG-20201216-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20201216-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20201216-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20201216-WA0002.jpg
Great looking bathrobe! I’m sure it’ll keep you warm around your house.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IMG-20201216-WA0017.jpg
IMG-20201216-WA0015.jpg
IMG-20201216-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20201216-WA0013.jpg
IMG-20201216-WA0012.jpg
IMG-20201216-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20201216-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20201216-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20201216-WA0002.jpg

Overall, it looks really good. Well done sir.

The sleeves though, think about getting them shortened a bit (easy alteration) will keep it from looking like you bought a coat a size too big.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IMG-20201216-WA0017.jpg
IMG-20201216-WA0015.jpg
IMG-20201216-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20201216-WA0013.jpg
IMG-20201216-WA0012.jpg
IMG-20201216-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20201216-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20201216-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20201216-WA0002.jpg
I haven't noticed the coat yet, I can't stop starting at the weird, spirally ribbons on the tree...

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great looking bathrobe! I’m sure it’ll keep you warm around your house.
Damn it, back down to reality.

Yeah I realized this wouldn't be getting much wear this year. The good news is no matter how much my weight changes in the future, I can still wear this.
Overall, it looks really good. Well done sir.

The sleeves though, think about getting them shortened a bit (easy alteration) will keep it from looking like you bought a coat a size too big.
Thanks man, appreciate it.

Yeah I said I wouldn't get them shortened, but it does look funky from the side and back with the sleeves so long. To argue against my own point for warmth, there are hand warmer pockets and I can just wear my gloves if my hands are that cold. I'll think on it, as you said it's an easy alteration.
I haven't noticed the coat yet, I can't stop starting at the weird, spirally ribbons on the tree...
I know jack about decoration, I was visiting some family. Looks cool to me though.

gardenvariety

Reaction score

Yeah I realized this wouldn't be getting much wear this year. The good news is no matter how much my weight changes in the future, I can still wear this.

Yeah I said I wouldn't get them shortened, but it does look funky from the side and back with the sleeves so long. To argue against my own point for warmth, there are hand warmer pockets and I can just wear my gloves if my hands are that cold. I'll think on it, as you said it's an easy alteration.

I know jack about decoration, I was visiting some family. Looks cool to me though.

Love the coat, agree about shortening the sleeves.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did you think about trying on a coat smaller by a size or three? Looks like you could go swimming (and camping) in that one. If they’re supposed to look that big then well done, but that’s an awful lot of material that’s not being put to any practical use. “It fits where it touches” as me granny used to say!

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've seen this picture a number of times but until today never really focused on the shirt under the cardigan. It looks awesome...where can I find it, or something like it?

View attachment 1516557

Just scrolling through and am literally wearing that PF shirt right now. Can't recall if that was mine then or I bought it after the shoot.

lefty

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you think about trying on a coat smaller by a size or three? Looks like you could go swimming (and camping) in that one. If they’re supposed to look that big then well done, but that’s an awful lot of material that’s not being put to any practical use. “It fits where it touches” as me granny used to say!
Wall of text warning.

Glad you mentioned that, yes that was the very first thing I did at my tailor's shop. I initially wanted a slim fit Bal.

He had a couple of OTR coats for me to try on with a set-in sleeve and clean back. I'm a standard 38R(37.5"-38" chest).

The coat in 38R felt constricting in my upper back with a sports coat on. Tailor then tossed me one in 42R.

It definitely felt and looked big, but it was comfortable. I asked him if it would work with a raglan construction and still look okay. He said it definitely would and I trusted his word. I'm always skeptical of genuine vs. sales advice, but I decided to just go with my gut feeling. I remembered that Derek and an AskAndy member said that a slim version of this coat robs the coat of drama and flow. So that was that!

Obviously there is a world of difference between a slim fit and this giant tweed blanket: I could have gone for a middle ground. That's actually my reason/excuse for another Bal in navy melton in the next 5 years. Probably aim for a size smaller, and 4 inches shorter. Overall I'm glad I went with my gut on this one though.

I've experimented lots with belted/half-belted coats and I've learned one thing: they reeeally emphasize my prominent bum unless they're a full cut all throughout, especially in the back. @TheShetlandSweater posted some good examples on how a belted Bal can go wrong and end up creating an hourglass silhouette.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back to Balmacaans...
View attachment 1518870
The Private White X Permanent Style one, it's great.

Looks great. A bit weird over just a shirt, but should be ideal with some heavy duty knitwear underneath. You're going to need to start carrying a pipe and tobacco though. That's non-negotiable, even if you don't smoke.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score

IMG-20201216-WA0017.jpg
IMG-20201216-WA0015.jpg
IMG-20201216-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20201216-WA0013.jpg
IMG-20201216-WA0012.jpg
IMG-20201216-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20201216-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20201216-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20201216-WA0002.jpg

Nice coat. Looks best with collar up.

As for the sleeve length, when sleeves are this wide and you take pictures from higher up, the sleeves will look like they are longer than they actually are because the sleeve will block part of your line of sight. I think this is part of why they look as long as they do. Also that your hands are curled up. Sleeves that are slightly longer are also better with gloves because the gloves will stay tucked into the sleeve better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads