• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For those who haven't been following him on Instagram, Aaron has been getting people in the fashion industry to open up about very personal struggles. I think it's great to see this kind of content. Especially since fashion so often presents itself as some picture-perfect thing where everyone super cool and flawless (and reasonably so because we all want to aspire to something, and no one likes putting their dirty laundry on the internet). But it's also nice to be able to see the more human side of people.

Posting some of the stories I've enjoyed reading here, but putting them behind a cut because they're super long and not everyone wants to scroll through them.

Aaron himself also posts a lot of stories about himself. The captions are thoughtful and, I think, invite conversation. But I'm mostly posting the stuff here where I think he's wearing a nice fit

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of years ago, during the tensions with North Korea, I was probably experiencing what was an anxiety attack- I woke up dizzy one morning and the world literally didn't stop rocking for me. I had an emergency CT scan on order from my GP to double-check that everything was ok- which it was. I continued along this path for a while- until I decided to get some help. Going to a councillor, getting anti-anxiety medication (which I've arguably needed since I was a kid, but never got), exercising more, and seeing a physiotherapist for balance helped set me straight. I knew there wasn't 'huge' real danger, like the situation we're in today, but that didn't stop me from literally obsessing over everything I saw in the news, and anxiety scrolling pretty much all of Reddit and Twitter for news.

This new crisis hasn't stirred those feelings in me, even though my entire family work either front-line as RNs or as administrators in hospitals... I'm a lot more at ease and I'm able to support them and my family from a better place. I think distractions like clothing help me get there and cope.

Through this whole thing, though, all I can think about is how to pull off a black leather double-rider.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of years ago, during the tensions with North Korea, I was probably experiencing what was an anxiety attack- I woke up dizzy one morning and the world literally didn't stop rocking for me. I had an emergency CT scan on order from my GP to double-check that everything was ok- which it was. I continued along this path for a while- until I decided to get some help. Going to a councillor, getting anti-anxiety medication (which I've arguably needed since I was a kid, but never got), exercising more, and seeing a physiotherapist for balance helped set me straight. I knew there wasn't 'huge' real danger, like the situation we're in today, but that didn't stop me from literally obsessing over everything I saw in the news, and anxiety scrolling pretty much all of Reddit and Twitter for news.

This new crisis hasn't stirred those feelings in me, even though my entire family work either front-line as RNs or as administrators in hospitals... I'm a lot more at ease and I'm able to support them and my family from a better place. I think distractions like clothing help me get there and cope.

Through this whole thing, though, all I can think about is how to pull off a black leather double-rider.
No judgements, man. Sometimes the little distractions give us a breather & allow the mind to recoup.

Regarding a black DR, here’s a pro tip:

All black everything. If that’s too severe, try a white tee, black jeans, and white/off-white sneakers like GATs, Chucks, or Vans.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No judgements, man. Sometimes the little distractions give us a breather & allow the mind to recoup.

All black everything. If that’s too severe, try a white tee, black jeans, and white/off-white sneakers like GATs, Chucks, or Vans.

My wife keeps putting my beat-up MMM GATs in a bag near the garbage. I'm not sure our marriage is going to survive this.

Off-white CPs, black jeans and a black or white t is pretty much my non-CM uniform.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think most ppl have a increased levels of stress and anxiety these days. And a little bit of this is good. It makes us wash our hands and respect the social distancing rules. Still, too much is not good and alot of people are suffering from the current rules. As you pointed out its is important to have someone to talk to. And sometimes shelter one self from the constant news Flow.

Yesterday I found my self looking at vintage mopeds, I dont have a motorcycle licens, but I doubt it would give me the street cred to pull of a DR.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
In a prior career I was on call 24/7 for a data center. On election night 2004 I went to bed thinking that Kerry had won the election. For the third night in a row my pager went off at 2 am that a critical server had crashed, and when I turned on the TV I saw that they’d reversed themselves and Bush had won.

I had a full on panic attack and wound up in a ball on the floor. There was no doubt in my mind what it was and I immediately started working on changing careers. Now, I’m in a fantastic job at a fantastic company, and I’ve done a lot of “internal work” which has definitely helped keep me calm through all of this.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think most ppl have a increased levels of stress and anxiety these days. And a little bit of this is good. It makes us wash our hands and respect the social distancing rules. Still, too much is not good and alot of people are suffering from the current rules. As you pointed out its is important to have someone to talk to. And sometimes shelter one self from the constant news Flow.
I listen to gangster rap and work out - rower, heavy bag, lots of body weight exercises. Solo BJJ drills. Will start with (light) kettlebells once my back is closer to 100%. Then I work. I guess that it's like my normal life but without any training sessions, and with no restaurants.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That'st not a pro tip, that a regular basic tip. (fwiw, that's what I do, but with light colored shoes or sneakers).

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW I say that with a bit of good-natured teasing, but for many guys who spend too much time in CM where matching is anathema, it goes against canon but is perfectly fine in casual CM (like Saman Amel and Armani) and streetwear. It can be hard to de-program the reluctance to be “matchy-matchy.”

But yeah, you’re definitely a leather pro. Can that be under your username?

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I listen to gangster rap and work out - rower, heavy bag, lots of body weight exercises. Solo BJJ drills. Will start with (light) kettlebells once my back is closer to 100%. Then I work. I guess that it's like my normal life but without any training sessions, and with no restaurants.
When can I expect a Styleforum x Youtube LA Guy home workout vid?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When can I expect a Styleforum x Youtube LA Guy home workout vid?
lol. I made a parody BJJ tutorial with my oldest daughter yesterday, and posted it to a private (gym only) FB group: effective techniques against much smaller opponents.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
I have a severely disabled child so many things have been off limits to my family for a long time

I sympathize with a lot of people I talk to these days who are freaking out about the abruptness with which they’ve been cut off from much of the world.... but I’m also kind of like, you’re maybe a little unaware of how lucky you are.

The overall situation is certainly very difficult but I am hopeful that people will learn to have more compassion for one another. I do think it’s happening already

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads