• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

Psyko

Reaction score
lol. I made a parody BJJ tutorial with my oldest daughter yesterday, and posted it to a private (gym only) FB group: effective techniques against much smaller opponents.

Smaller opponents are the worst to roll against, though. So much space for them to occupy first.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smaller opponents are the worst to roll against, though. So much space for them to occupy first.
I have a partner who is a 5’4” power lifter. So, short, with even shorter legs, but explosive, and not “small” per se. Maybe 175-180. He can reguard with ridiculous ease. I basically can only use twister side control or kesa gatame on him. Regular side control is basically useless. If he passes your guard, on the other hand, reguarding is ridiculously hard.

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a partner who is a 5’4” power lifter. So, short, with even shorter legs, but explosive, and not “small” per se. Maybe 175-180. He can reguard with ridiculous ease. I basically can only use twister side control or kesa gatame on him. Regular side control is basically useless. If he passes your guard, on the other hand, reguarding is ridiculously hard.

I feel I speak for most when I say this is not the appropriate place to brag about your sexual shenanigans and conquests. Keep it classy. Thank you.

ezev

Reaction score
This is a dumb question but I’m bored. Does grey wool cavalry twill fabric exist? Everyone talks about its superiority to flannel for trousers but for RTW I only find it in khaki/olive. What’s the deal?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We sell grey cav twill pants every fall winter season

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is a dumb question but I’m bored. Does grey wool cavalry twill fabric exist? Everyone talks about its superiority to flannel for trousers but for RTW I only find it in khaki/olive. What’s the deal?
Just counted 10 grey twill cloth samples in the Holland & Sherry Dakota book. Every other twill book has at least one or two. It's practically ubiquitous.

ezev

Reaction score

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's the opposite of flannel in every way. Worsted and woolen flannel has a nap. Twill does not. Twills have a design element to the weave that distinguishes the variations, calvary, whipcord, covert. Flannels are worsted; tighter weave. Woolen flannel is softer and often has a marled effect but no pattern created from the weave. Twills don't bag or stretch like flannels. Twills don't retain heat like a flannel is prone to do.

lazym

Reaction score
Double Wham. Now here is where I over analyse the material. Is it really better than flannel?Or different use case?
I wouldn't call it better, just different. Cavalry twill wears a little cooler, and the texture is smoother than flannel. The texture really depends on the fabric though. I have cavalry twill from O'Connell's and Rota; the O'Connell's are smooth with a slight sheen while the Rota's are more of a matte. I prefer the Rota's for what it's worth.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An angel descends from the heavens. Rota I assume?
Yes, also our own tailoring line made by Sartoria Carrara for a single-pleated option

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads