• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

karmaguy

Reaction score
I think it depends on what you want to get out of the book. Most fashion books are either aimed at a general audience or an academic audience. General audience books typically have an equal mix of photos and text. The photos are carefully selected to give the reader some style inspiration, and the text is written to accompany those photos. You won't find a lot of hard theory in those books, but they're not really meant to be that kind of book.

Academic books have very few photos, and the few photos inside aren't necessarily aimed to give you style inspiration. They're more aimed to support the author's thesis. These books are much more text-heavy and they're dealing with concepts. Monica Miller's Slaves to Fashion is a good book if you want to read about how clothes and styling have been used to create Black identities in the diaspora. It's not necessarily about Black Ivy, but the concepts and ideas in there can be applied to this specific section of Black dress that Jason covers.

Many books have already been written about how race and identity intersect with clothing. But they are sometimes dense and very academic, which isn't something that everyone is looking for when they read a book. I feel like there are two very different types of audiences when it comes to this market: people who pick up books because they want to dress better, and then people who are dealing with some academic concept. Often, the people who write academic books are not particularly interested in dressing well. Clothing even might be secondary to another interest (race, class, politics, etc).

If you already have a small library of clothing-related books, you may find that you gravitate towards one style of book over the other. That will probably give you a good idea of whether you'll like this book.

i really appreciate the info thanks! i'll probably pick it up but also sounds like i should dive into the miller book. my hesitation in the past with more academic written fashion books is that i don't really have the anthro+socio+polysci training that seems to make reading that material understandable. like..my knowledge of critical theory and it's associated terms is pretty minimal (this is what i get for studying math...).

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if there's a better place to check this - but are there any 'luxire-like' shirtmakers in the US? I'd like a shirt copied exactly because the way the hem is scalloped is so perfectly on point for wearing untucked (yes I know this is controversial and no don't tell me about untuck it) but it seems like PC and others don't offer that.

krudsma

Reaction score
Not sure if there's a better place to check this - but are there any 'luxire-like' shirtmakers in the US? I'd like a shirt copied exactly because the way the hem is scalloped is so perfectly on point for wearing untucked (yes I know this is controversial and no don't tell me about untuck it) but it seems like PC and others don't offer that.

Why not just use Luxire?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frizmworks seems like it has all the good stuff.

How does one figure out sizing though? I don't see any information on the website through translation.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you all feel about casentino coats?

I am still struggling to figure out how I feel about them. One week I'm for them, the next week they seem gimmicky.

Scratchy horse blanket, or cool tuscan tweed?

Would you all use one as a "versatile" coat, or a flashy piece? If so, what colour?

I've waffled between camel, dark brown, and dark green.

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How does one figure out sizing though? I don't see any information on the website through translation.

I just took a look at the measurements which are posted for each garment and matched the Korean chars they show in the sizing pics to those that they list in the sizing chart. Also, I would say things are pretty much true to American size, the garments are not way small or anything, the XL in both the Bal and the Karakoram fit me and I am usually an XL or XXL.

Dadacantona

Reaction score
Frizmworks karakoram in olive. Has a very slight sheen but nothing noticeable. I‘m a 40 and this is a medium. Fits fine but I could have sized up, though I do have a massive arse and hips.
6D34A31E-C6F0-4739-B9D8-2E61FCE648E2.jpeg

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are size charts in korean images that I use google translate for on my phone. The only problematic translation was for the first column which keeps coming out as "President" :bored:. Maybe hire @nahneun to translate and offer a Jisoo NFT.

JayDotz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont really get it honestly, just seems to be in the exact same space as Kaptain Sunshine but cheaper and with worse materials...???

I mean to be honest, sometimes cheaper and worse materials is fine. Kaptain sunshine is very expensive. It’s hard for every item in my closet to be $500+, so cheaper but similar aesthetic works for me.

I own some Kaptain Sunshine but bought the frizmworks parka. For $300 it will be fine and don’t see the value in this case to go for the 2k Kaptain Sunshine down parka. Also, KS typically tops out at size 40, NoMan gets them to make some products in 42 but not everything so that also limits the KS I can purchase.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just took a look at the measurements which are posted for each garment and matched the Korean chars they show in the sizing pics to those that they list in the sizing chart. Also, I would say things are pretty much true to American size, the garments are not way small or anything, the XL in both the Bal and the Karakoram fit me and I am usually an XL or XXL.
There are size charts in korean images that I use google translate for on my phone. The only problematic translation was for the first column which keeps coming out as "President" :bored:. Maybe hire @nahneun to translate and offer a Jisoo NFT.
OH there they are. Damn, these are tiny, I had to open the image in a new tab and zoom in to compare the characters.
I dont really get it honestly, just seems to be in the exact same space as Kaptain Sunshine but cheaper and with worse materials...???
Hmm, questionable materials doesn't sound so great though. Price and aesthetic is definitely what attracted me.

@Dadacantona outfit looks on point by the way.

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think the materials are questionable FWIW. Both garments that I got from them are really nice. Are they as nice as a Nigel Cabourn or Kaptain Sunshine garment? Probably not. Do they cost much, much less? Yep.

Maybe the design decision to make what amounts to copies of other people's existing designs is questionable, I can see an argument there. I thought about that for a bit before buying, but, ultimately the value proposition to me is that I get something I wouldn't be able to otherwise get either due to size, availability, (also cost, but that wasn't the top reason for me).

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you all feel about casentino coats?

I am still struggling to figure out how I feel about them. One week I'm for them, the next week they seem gimmicky.

Scratchy horse blanket, or cool tuscan tweed?

Would you all use one as a "versatile" coat, or a flashy piece? If so, what colour?

I've waffled between camel, dark brown, and dark green.
If you go casentino, I think you should go bold (ex: orange).

I have an Eidos casentino hunting jacket from a few years ago (below) and don't really consider it flashy.

1638574738014.png

I much prefer the orange over the green jacket and navy vest below.

1638574999123.png

1638575016780.png

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you go casentino, I think you should go bold (ex: orange).

I have an Eidos casentino hunting jacket from a few years ago (below) and don't really consider it flashy.

I much prefer the orange over the green jacket and navy vest below.
I do plan on getting a polo coat before this, which is already quite bold.

I like your images of dark green, that looks like a good colour to me. It complements the texture nicely.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads